* FR: allow adding a deadline with warning days [was Re: deadline warning days entry]
@ 2020-07-24  4:00 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2020-07-24  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

i think the following boils down to:

i think it would be less error prone if we allowed c-u c-u to work
when adding a deadline to an entry.  in maint it errors.

thank you.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

What is misopathy?
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

* Re: FR: allow adding a deadline with warning days [was Re: deadline warning days entry]
@ 2020-09-04 14:50 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-04 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

> i think it would be less error prone if we allowed c-u c-u to work
> when adding a deadline to an entry.  in maint it errors.

Can you restate the detailed desired behavior vs. current behavior,
and what problem does it solve?

Thanks,

--
 Bastien

* Re: FR: allow adding a deadline with warning days [was Re: deadline warning days entry]
@ 2020-09-04 20:14   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2020-09-04 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

hi bastien,

the current behavior in maint is if you have an entry with no planning
line.  if you try to add a deadline with zero days of warning, it will
tell you you can't do that.  it will not add the deadline.  and
therefore will not add warning days.

you have to add the deadline and then modify it to have your warning
days.  two command invocations.

the best i have discoverd is to add a deadline then go back and change
warning days with c-u c-u c-d ret.  this will add zero days.  it is a
lot of keystrokes.

what would be good is c-u c-u c-d to add a deadline with warning days
at the same time.  this is better than being told you can't do that.

if the warning days for this defaulted to the global variable for
default warning days, that would be useless.  you would be specifying
the same as the global variable default that the agenda uses when
nothing is specified.

so the enterable warning days should either be specifiable in the
global variable as a cons like (enterable-when-double-prefix .
auto-the-agenda-uses), or merely default to zero.

which would give the command c-u c-u c-d something to do instead of
telling you it cannnot do anything.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.

@ 2020-09-06  9:52     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-06  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

indeed, letting org-schedule and org-deadline to accept more metadata,
such as warning delays, would be good.

If someone wants to try writing a patch for this, please go ahead.

Best,

--
 Bastien