* Using non-org files as agenda files?
@ 2013-01-22 23:30 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2013-01-22 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode

Dear all

Is it anyhow possible to use a .tex file as an org-agenda-file?

This might seem a silly question. The reason is that I stick to auctex
for writing my documents. But it would be nice to be able to insert a
todo item directly at an appropriate place within a tex-file and have it
integrated in org-agenda-view.

Maybe this can be done by a workaround using ipa.el (in-place
annotations) and setting an orgmode file as ipa-file? Any experiences?

Thanks

Sven

* Re: Using non-org files as agenda files?
@ 2013-01-23  6:32 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-01-23  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: Org-Mode

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Dear all
>
> Is it anyhow possible to use a .tex file as an org-agenda-file?
>
> This might seem a silly question. The reason is that I stick to auctex
> for writing my documents. But it would be nice to be able to insert a
> todo item directly at an appropriate place within a tex-file and have it
> integrated in org-agenda-view.

One approach could be to use babel.  That is, have an org file in which
all your latex sits as code segments.  You can then edit each individual
code segment (C-c ') using auctex but keep org as an outliner and task
manager.  You do lose some capabilities of auctex, specifically to do
with cross-referencing support, I would imagine.  But you gain all the
power of org and continue to be able to use auctex's keybindings when
desired.

I've attached a simple example.  Tangling the file (C-c C-v t) will
create l.tex which you can then process as desired.

> Maybe this can be done by a workaround using ipa.el (in-place
> annotations) and setting an orgmode file as ipa-file? Any experiences?

Thanks for reminding me of this.  I had meant to try it out and forgot!
(forgot to create an org todo item... have done so now ;-)

HTH,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_7.9.3d-837-ge37613

[-- Attachment #2: l.org --]
[-- Type: text/org, Size: 646 bytes --]

#+TITLE:     Testing tangling etc. for latex
#+AUTHOR:    Eric S Fraga
#+EMAIL:     e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk
#+DATE:      2013-01-23 Wed

#+PROPERTY: tangle yes

* Cover material
  #+begin_src latex
    \documentclass{scrartcl}
    \title{The document}
    \author{ESF}
    \begin{document}
    \maketitle
  #+end_src

* Introduction
  In the introduction, we talk about the problem and why it is important.

  #+begin_src latex
    \section{Introduction}
    \label{sec:intro}

    Yes, here I talk about the problem.
  #+end_src
* End matter
  #+begin_src latex
    % could put the bibliography here, for instance
    \end{document}
  #+end_src

* Re: Using non-org files as agenda files?
@ 2013-01-23  7:00 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-01-23  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: Org-Mode

On 1/22/13, Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Is it anyhow possible to use a .tex file as an org-agenda-file?

It might be possible to put an ID marker in the document.  A command
then would take you to a headline in a .org file.  That headline can
then have all Org features.

1:1 mapping.

Another command would take you back to that position in the document.

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY
can get it.  There is no hope without action.

* Re: Using non-org files as agenda files?
@ 2013-01-25 12:55   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2013-01-25 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode

Hello Samuel and Eric

Thank you for your suggestions. I have tried In-Place Annotations in the
meantime. However, that doesn't work because every line of annotation
begins with a hard-coded ":", which breaks the orgmode markup. [Hm, now,
I'm just thinking about the possibility to simply replace that by "* "
in the el.] Switching to babel might be a solution. I will try it. At
the moment I'm using org-annotate-file with similar results as Samuel's
suggestion would yield. Org-annotate-file didn't work for me in the
past, because it didn't recognize the exact line in the associated
document (org-annotate-file-add-search) for any reason. But now it
works. Anyway, this package is not able to display an annotation within
the original file (what In-Place Annotations can do).

Thanks,

Sven

--
Prof. Dr. Sven Bretfeld