* Missing header line in export of tables that contain "special marking characters"
@ 2012-03-23 23:41 William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2012-03-23 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Hi list

When I export a table that uses `!' in the first column to denote the
column names, then the header line does not appear in the exported
file (ascii, html, or latex).  Please see the attached example org
file and html output.  Is this behavior intentional?  Can it be turned
off?

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

[-- Attachment #2: table-export-test.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 7544 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: table-export-test.org --]

* Bug in export of tables with "special marking characters"
  :LOGBOOK:
  CLOCK: [2012-03-23 Fri 17:05]--[2012-03-23 Fri 17:23] =>  0:18
  :END:

When I export a table that uses =!= in the first column to denote the column names, then the header line does not appear in the exported file.  Please see the attached example org file and html output.

See [[info:org#Advanced%20features][info:org#Advanced features]] for info on special marking characters in org-mode tables.

** HTML export of this table works fine

| A | B | C |
|---+---+---|
| 1 | 2 | 3 |

It was marked up like this:
#+BEGIN_SRC org
| A | B | C |
|---+---+---|
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
#+END_SRC

** HTML export of this table misses off the header line

| ! | A | B | C |
|---+---+---+---|
| # | 1 | 2 | 3 |
   #+TBLFM: $4=$A + $B

It was marked up like this:
#+BEGIN_SRC org
| ! | A | B | C |
|---+---+---+---|
| # | 1 | 2 | 3 |
   #+TBLFM: $4=$A + $B
#+END_SRC

The same problem occurs with ascii and latex export.  The problem also persists with the experimental generic exporter.

** A workaround is to repeat the header line without the =!=

|   | A | B | C |
| ! | A | B | C |
|---+---+---+---|
| # | 1 | 2 | 3 |
   #+TBLFM: $4=$A + $B

It was marked up like this:
#+BEGIN_SRC org
|   | A | B | C |
| ! | A | B | C |
|---+---+---+---|
| # | 1 | 2 | 3 |
   #+TBLFM: $4=$A + $B
#+END_SRC

* Re: Missing header line in export of tables that contain "special marking characters"
@ 2012-03-26 20:19 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-03-26 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: emacs-org

Hi William,

William Henney <whenney@gmail.com> writes:

> When I export a table that uses `!' in the first column to denote the
> column names, then the header line does not appear in the exported
> file (ascii, html, or latex).  Please see the attached example org
> file and html output.  Is this behavior intentional?

Yes, this is intentional.

See the docstring of `org-export-table-remove-special-lines':

  Remove special lines and marking characters in calculating tables.
  This removes the special marking character column from tables that are
  set up for spreadsheet calculations.  It also removes the entire lines
  marked with `!', `_', or `^'.  The lines with `$' are kept, because
  the values of constants may be useful to have.

> Can it be turned off?

I tried to add a new option for this, but the option would be a bit
confusing, and the cost of having it seems to high, considered how
simple the workaround is.    Hope you can live with it!

--
 Bastien