* org-replace-disputed-keys not working
@ 2012-03-24 12:59 Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-03-24 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi List,
I like to use windmove.el and it is working outside orgmode buffers in
my Emacs:

,-----------------------------------------------------------------
| <S-left> runs the command windmove-left, which is an interactive
| compiled Lisp function in `windmove.el'.
|
| It is bound to <S-left>.
`-----------------------------------------------------------------

org-replace-disputed-keys is set true:

,-------------------------------------------------------------
| org-replace-disputed-keys is a variable defined in `org.el'.
| Its value is t
| Original value was nil
`-------------------------------------------------------------

But the doc says:
"This option is only relevant at load-time of Org-mode, and must be set
*before* org.el is loaded.  Changing it requires a restart of Emacs to
become effective."

and it does not work in org buffers:

,----------------------------------------------------------------------
| <S-left> runs the command org-shiftleft, which is an interactive Lisp
| function in `org.el'.
`----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what to do about this, since I use the emacs24-starter-kit,
and org-replace-disputed-keys is set in an .org file, that must be
tangled before it is loaded, and I assume org.el must be loaded before
any .org files can be tangled?

Thanks for any hints.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: org-replace-disputed-keys not working
@ 2012-03-26 17:17 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-03-26 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:

> I'm not sure what to do about this, since I use the emacs24-starter-kit,
> and org-replace-disputed-keys is set in an .org file, that must be
> tangled before it is loaded, and I assume org.el must be loaded before
> any .org files can be tangled?

The only solution I can think of right now is this:

~$ emacs --eval '(setq org-replace-disputed-keys t)'

Maybe Eric has a better solution..

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-replace-disputed-keys not working
@ 2012-03-26 22:08   ` Thorsten
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Thorsten @ 2012-03-26 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Bastien,

> Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm not sure what to do about this, since I use the emacs24-starter-kit,
>> and org-replace-disputed-keys is set in an .org file, that must be
>> tangled before it is loaded, and I assume org.el must be loaded before
>> any .org files can be tangled?
>
> The only solution I can think of right now is this:
>
> ~$ emacs --eval '(setq org-replace-disputed-keys t)'
>
> Maybe Eric has a better solution..

I started the emacs-daemon with that option, but it did not help
unfortunately. But it seems windmove.el only works in X11 anyway, not in
console sessions? At least for me the shift character is ignored in a
console session and doing C-h k for S-<right> gives:

,----------------------------------------------------------------------
| <right> runs the command right-char, which is an interactive compiled
| Lisp function in `bindings.el'.
`----------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there a windmove alternative (another way to navigate comfortably
between windows without doing C-x o several times), that works in both
console and X11 session? It is not much fun to use windmove if it only
works in certain situation and in others not.

--

@ 2012-03-26 22:29     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-03-26 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thorsten,

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 00:08, Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I started the emacs-daemon with that option, but it did not help
> unfortunately. But it seems windmove.el only works in X11 anyway, not in
> console sessions? At least for me the shift character is ignored in a
> console session and doing C-h k for S-<right> gives:

That is an issue with your terminal emulator. I have faced that too but
haven't had time to look into it in detail.

I also use windmove but with the meta (M, Alt on linux) key. This
however has the disadvantage of conflicting even more with org. So I use
the shift key with org. So in the end windmove works in all modes
(except org) for all sessions (X and terminal), it works with hiccups
with org only in an X session.

These are my relevant settings:

  ;; navigate thru windows using M-<arrow>
  (windmove-default-keybindings 'meta)

  ;; Make windmove work in org-mode with 'shift as modifier:
  (add-hook 'org-shiftup-final-hook 'windmove-up)
  (add-hook 'org-shiftleft-final-hook 'windmove-left)
  (add-hook 'org-shiftdown-final-hook 'windmove-down)
  (add-hook 'org-shiftright-final-hook 'windmove-right)

Hope this will help.

--
Suvayu

* Re: org-replace-disputed-keys not working
@ 2012-03-27  8:20     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-03-27  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:

> Is there a windmove alternative (another way to navigate comfortably
> between windows without doing C-x o several times), that works in both
> console and X11 session? It is not much fun to use windmove if it only
> works in certain situation and in others not.

You might want to try windresize:

  http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/u/windresize.el

I hacked this quite a while ago because windmove.el didn't fit
my need.  I don't know if I tested it in a console...

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-replace-disputed-keys not working
@ 2012-03-27  8:44     ` Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2012-03-27  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thorsten, org-mode users,
* Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> [27. Mar. 2012]:
> Is there a windmove alternative (another way to navigate comfortably
> between windows without doing C-x o several times), that works in both
> console and X11 session? It is not much fun to use windmove if it only
> works in certain situation and in others not.

There is window-numbering-mode which grabs the ALT+num key
combos in order to switch to numbered windows.  I now am used to
^U-NUM to enter numerical arguments but its strange at first.

Then there is switch-window which captures the ^X-o key binding,
displays a number in each window and you are required to press
the correct number in order to switch to its window.  While the
numbers are shown one does not see the contents of the windows
any more which is a bit distracting.

Both work at the console.

Ciao, Gregor
--
 -... --- .-. . -.. ..--.. ...-.-

* Re: org-replace-disputed-keys not working
@ 2012-03-27 10:28       ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-03-27 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Bastien,

> Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Is there a windmove alternative (another way to navigate comfortably
>> between windows without doing C-x o several times), that works in both
>> console and X11 session? It is not much fun to use windmove if it only
>> works in certain situation and in others not.
>
> You might want to try windresize:
>
>   http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/u/windresize.el
>
> I hacked this quite a while ago because windmove.el didn't fit
> my need.  I don't know if I tested it in a console...
>
> HTH,

Wow, almost 1000 lines and more than 50 defuns ... a real hidden gem, it
seems. I will try it out, it is probably much more than what I was
looking for in terms of functionality, but maybe I can figure out a core
set of functions that work consistently in most situations
(console, X11, orgmode ...).

Thanks a lot!
--

@ 2012-03-27 10:35       ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-03-27 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 00:08, Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I started the emacs-daemon with that option, but it did not help
>> unfortunately. But it seems windmove.el only works in X11 anyway, not in
>> console sessions? At least for me the shift character is ignored in a
>> console session and doing C-h k for S-<right> gives:
>
> That is an issue with your terminal emulator. I have faced that too but
> haven't had time to look into it in detail.
>
> I also use windmove but with the meta (M, Alt on linux) key. This
> however has the disadvantage of conflicting even more with org. So I use
> the shift key with org. So in the end windmove works in all modes
> (except org) for all sessions (X and terminal), it works with hiccups
> with org only in an X session.

M-<arrow> is somehow used by Archlinux itself it seems, they change
tty's on my sytem and don't get through to the application.

> These are my relevant settings:
>
>   ;; navigate thru windows using M-<arrow>
>   (windmove-default-keybindings 'meta)
>
>   ;; Make windmove work in org-mode with 'shift as modifier:
>   (add-hook 'org-shiftup-final-hook 'windmove-up)
>   (add-hook 'org-shiftleft-final-hook 'windmove-left)
>   (add-hook 'org-shiftdown-final-hook 'windmove-down)
>   (add-hook 'org-shiftright-final-hook 'windmove-right)
>
> Hope this will help.

Thanks, that looks like a straight-forward solution. I'll check it out.

--

@ 2012-03-27 10:44       ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-03-27 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> writes:

Hi Grekgor,

> * Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> [27. Mar. 2012]:
>> Is there a windmove alternative (another way to navigate comfortably
>> between windows without doing C-x o several times), that works in both
>> console and X11 session? It is not much fun to use windmove if it only
>> works in certain situation and in others not.
>
> There is window-numbering-mode which grabs the ALT+num key
> combos in order to switch to numbered windows.  I now am used to
> ^U-NUM to enter numerical arguments but its strange at first.
>
> Then there is switch-window which captures the ^X-o key binding,
> displays a number in each window and you are required to press
> the correct number in order to switch to its window.  While the
> numbers are shown one does not see the contents of the windows
> any more which is a bit distracting.
>
> Both work at the console.

So there are quite a lot of possibilities.

I think I have to figure out a standard set of keybindings/window-moves
and set them in all my 3 window managers (tmux, stumpwm, and emacs
itself) in a similar way (only with different prefix), otherwise it will
drive me nuts to do the same thing in so many different ways. I will try
Bastiens library first, since it looks quite impressive.

Thanks for the tips.

--
cheers,
Thorsten