* Agenda and excursion
@ 2010-05-13  9:07 Tom
From: Tom @ 2010-05-13  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Often I do something in an org buffer and then display the
agenda to see my tasks. Then later I switch back to that buffer with
switch-to-buffer and find that building of the agenda moved the cursor
from the point I was to the end of the buffer.

It's a bit annoying. Shouldn't org-agenda use save-excursion in org
buffers, so the cursor is not moved from the point the user left it?

Building of the agenda shouldn't affect the buffer state this way
since it's a reading operation.

* Re: Agenda and excursion
@ 2010-05-13 17:47 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-13 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 13, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Tom wrote:

> Often I do something in an org buffer and then display the
> agenda to see my tasks. Then later I switch back to that buffer with
> switch-to-buffer and find that building of the agenda moved the cursor
> from the point I was to the end of the buffer.

I have never seen this problem.

- Carsten

@ 2010-05-14  7:25   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2010-05-14  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On May 13, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Tom wrote:
>
> > Often I do something in an org buffer and then display the
> > agenda to see my tasks. Then later I switch back to that buffer with
> > switch-to-buffer and find that building of the agenda moved the cursor
> > from the point I was to the end of the buffer.
>
> I have never seen this problem.

Looks like it happens only if specify a skip function for the block agenda.
I'll try to narrow down the location and get back to you when I know more
about the problem.

* Re: Re: Agenda and excursion
@ 2010-05-14 11:33     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-14 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 14, 2010, at 9:25 AM, Tom wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> On May 13, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Tom wrote:
>>
>>> Often I do something in an org buffer and then display the
>>> agenda to see my tasks. Then later I switch back to that buffer with
>>> switch-to-buffer and find that building of the agenda moved the
>>> cursor
>>> from the point I was to the end of the buffer.
>>
>> I have never seen this problem.
>>

> Looks like it happens only if specify a skip function for the block
> agenda.
> I'll try to narrow down the location and get back to you when I know
> more
> about the problem.

Ah, that is interesting.  Can I have a look at the full custom command
definition you are using?

Thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: Agenda and excursion
@ 2010-05-14 13:54       ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2010-05-14 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Ah, that is interesting.  Can I have a look at the full custom command
> definition you are using?

Turned out I called one of my own functions from the skip function with a
delay (so it ran after agenda construction finished) and that function
moved the cursor, so org was innocent.

Sorry for the noise. I'll be more careful next time before reporting a
problem.

* Re: Re: Agenda and excursion
@ 2010-05-14 13:56         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-14 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tom, I am glad it is resolved.

- Carsten

On May 14, 2010, at 3:54 PM, Tom wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Ah, that is interesting.  Can I have a look at the full custom
>> command
>> definition you are using?
>
> Turned out I called one of my own functions from the skip function
> with a
> delay (so it ran after agenda construction finished) and that function
> moved the cursor, so org was innocent.
>
> Sorry for the noise. I'll be more careful next time before reporting a
> problem.

- Carsten