* temporary inclusion of a read-only file / inline element into orgmode buffer
@ 2021-01-06 17:47 HJ
From: HJ @ 2021-01-06 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   Hello,

    I was wondering whether anyone here knows how to effect a temporary
inclusion of a file into an org file. What I mean:

    I would like to use orgmode to keep a documentation / devops
document. That document will contain commands ( with lots of
start_src...end_src...results blocks), where such commands usually
produce small results (20-60 lines), which are to be included inside the
document. But, on occasion, the command will produce 2,000,000+ lines of
output. Practically this is a difference that requires a different
storage approach, yet semantically inside orgmode I would like to
experience as little difference as possible.

   The question is whether anyone knows of a way to keep the small
outputs "inline", but have the option of automagically store the large
output inside a separate file (this file may be treated as a read-only
file), but still be able to operate on it as if it was not an external
file but an part of the current org file. Perhaps based on a toggle
command, one could say "include all "external" files inside for a minute
while I make my searches, and then purge the read-only "external" files
out of current buffer to keep emacs small and speedy.

   This might be similar in concept to "inline images" - they are a
display of read-only file into portion of the buffer - except that no
searches and other text operations can be performed on it.

   Related question: Imagine you are browsing a document which contains
an headline with an inline element (like an image or said large number
of output lines) which is expensive to obtain and display. Is there a
way to say to emacs to delay the loading of this expensive / huge
resource until e.g. 5 seconds passes or I press F6 or something to
indicate that I am willing to pay (money, time, memory resources) to
have the inline item displayer?

   Any ideas or pointers please?

    Thank you!!

    - HJ

PS: I dare not ask whether such dynamic  inclusion / exclusion could be
performed on a read-write file as well, but if anyone dares to venture
out on this question, it would be most welcome. This could expand (my)
horizons of orgmode's usability!

* Re: temporary inclusion of a read-only file / inline element into orgmode buffer
@ 2021-01-06 20:18 ` Tom Gillespie
From: Tom Gillespie @ 2021-01-06 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HJ; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Check out org-transclusion, it covers some of the use cases you
describe or could be used to implement them. The issue with giant
results, especially those that have very long lines, is more
challenging, but being able to specify that different output streams
should go to files instead of results might be a start, or having them
go to a file and having process do the equivalent of tail on the file
to continually update the results stream of the buffer would be really
useful (if it could be done without disrupting other editing flows.
The shortest path to splitting file vs buffer would probably be to
decorate org-bable-insert-result (in ob-core.el) to detect the size of
the result and write the full result to a separate buffer if it is
beyond the limit you set. Best,
Tom

https://github.com/nobiot/org-transclusion

* Re: temporary inclusion of a read-only file / inline element into orgmode buffer
@ 2021-01-07  4:35   ` Christopher Miles
From: Christopher Miles @ 2021-01-07  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Gillespie; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, HJ