* Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files
@ 2020-11-22 10:01 Gerardo Moro
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gerardo Moro @ 2020-11-22 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Basically that :)
I'm looking for some setup that allows me to open a menu with a list of
files and shortcut access keys to open them.

Probably somebody has done this before.

Thank you,
GM

* Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files
@ 2020-11-22 10:09 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-22 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerardo Moro; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Gerardo Moro <gerardomoro37@gmail.com> [2020-11-22 13:02]:
> Basically that :)
> I'm looking for some setup that allows me to open a menu with a list of
> files and shortcut access keys to open them.
>
> Probably somebody has done this before.

Let me invent something for you:

find Documents/Org/ -type f -iname "*.org" -exec echo " * [[file:`realpath {}`][{}]]" > meta-org.org \;

Instead of "Documents/Org/" you should put there your own top
directory where you keep Org files.

Then open meta-org.org

* Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files
@ 2020-11-22 17:35   ` Berry, Charles via General discussions about Org-mode.
From: Berry, Charles via General discussions about Org-mode. @ 2020-11-22 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Gerardo Moro, emacs-orgmode

> On Nov 22, 2020, at 2:09 AM, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
>
> * Gerardo Moro <gerardomoro37@gmail.com> [2020-11-22 13:02]:
>> Basically that :)
>> I'm looking for some setup that allows me to open a menu with a list of
>> files and shortcut access keys to open them.
>>
>> Probably somebody has done this before.
>
> Let me invent something for you:
>
> find Documents/Org/ -type f -iname "*.org" -exec echo " * [[file:`realpath {}`][{}]]" > meta-org.org \;
>
> Instead of "Documents/Org/" you should put there your own top
> directory where you keep Org files.
>
> Then open meta-org.org

Nice.

Or for a one-off solution:

M-x find-dired RET Documents/Org/ RET -iname "*.org" RET

And use the dired buffer to navigate.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files
@ 2020-11-22 18:33     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-22 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Berry, Charles; +Cc: Gerardo Moro, emacs-orgmode

* Berry, Charles <ccberry@health.ucsd.edu> [2020-11-22 20:35]:
> > * Gerardo Moro <gerardomoro37@gmail.com> [2020-11-22 13:02]:
> >> Basically that :)
> >> I'm looking for some setup that allows me to open a menu with a list of
> >> files and shortcut access keys to open them.
> >>
> >> Probably somebody has done this before.
> >
> > Let me invent something for you:
> >
> > find Documents/Org/ -type f -iname "*.org" -exec echo " * [[file:`realpath {}`][{}]]" > meta-org.org \;
> >
> > Instead of "Documents/Org/" you should put there your own top
> > directory where you keep Org files.
> >
> > Then open meta-org.org
> >

> Nice.
>
> Or for a one-off solution:
>
> M-x find-dired RET Documents/Org/ RET -iname "*.org" RET
>
> And use the dired buffer to navigate.

When making meta-org files then users may annotate them better. But
myself I am not using those concepts. As you pointed I am just greping
and finding if I really need.

My main Org file for business planning is in the register {C-x r j s}

(set-register ?s '(file . "~/Documents/Org/MAIN.org"))

Other log file is in `k' register, so I just put few in registers on
the key binding and that's it.

* Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files
@ 2020-11-22 19:03     ` Gerardo Moro
From: Gerardo Moro @ 2020-11-22 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Berry, Charles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jean Louis

Thanks to both of you,

find Documents/Org/ -type f -iname "*.org" -exec echo " * [[file:`realpath
{}`][{}]]" > meta-org.org \;

Instead of "Documents/Org/" you should put there your own top
directory where you keep Org files.

Then open meta-org.org

I am confused. I don't understand the syntax. The line "find Documents/Org/
-type f -iname "*.org" -exec echo " * [[file:`realpath {}`][{}]]" >
meta-org.org \;" should be a function of its own?

M-x find-dired RET Documents/Org/ RET -iname "*.org" RET

Once I press "RET", what does -iname mean? I am new in Emacs. You mean,
this is just using find-dired to browse the org files?
Thank you both!

@ 2020-11-22 19:15       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-22 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerardo Moro; +Cc: Berry, Charles, emacs-orgmode

* Gerardo Moro <gerardomoro37@gmail.com> [2020-11-22 22:04]:
> Thanks to both of you,
>
> find Documents/Org/ -type f -iname "*.org" -exec echo " * [[file:`realpath
> {}`][{}]]" > meta-org.org \;
>
> Instead of "Documents/Org/" you should put there your own top
> directory where you keep Org files.
>
> Then open meta-org.org
>

> I am confused. I don't understand the syntax. The line "find Documents/Org/
> -type f -iname "*.org" -exec echo " * [[file:`realpath {}`][{}]]" >
> meta-org.org \;" should be a function of its own?

That was shell command. Like in bash, dash, zsh and similar.

> M-x find-dired RET Documents/Org/ RET -iname "*.org" RET
>
> Once I press "RET", what does -iname mean? I am new in Emacs. You mean,
> this is just using find-dired to browse the org files?

For Emacs function it is like this one here:

;; setup here your main subtree
(setq my-org-dir "~/Documents/Org")

(defun my-meta-org ()
  "Opens my meta-org.org on the fly with hyperlinks to other Org files."
  (interactive)
  (let ((org-files (directory-files my-org-dir t ".org"))
	(meta-buffer "meta-org.org"))
    (with-temp-buffer-window meta-buffer nil nil
      (switch-to-buffer meta-buffer)
      (org-mode)
      (dolist (file org-files)
	(insert (format "- [[%s][%s]]\n" file (file-name-base file)))))))

then run:

M-x my-meta-org

* Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files
@ 2020-11-22 21:23       ` Berry, Charles via General discussions about Org-mode.
From: Berry, Charles via General discussions about Org-mode. @ 2020-11-22 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerardo Moro; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jean Louis

> On Nov 22, 2020, at 11:03 AM, Gerardo Moro <gerardomoro37@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> M-x find-dired RET Documents/Org/ RET -iname "*.org" RET
>
> Once I press "RET", what does -iname mean? I am new in Emacs. You mean, this is just using find-dired to browse the org files?

See (info "(emacs) Dired and Find")

and find-dired's help string (i.e. C-h f find-dired RET)

the `-iname "*.org"' bit is used as ARG for which pursuing the man page for `find' is helpful.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files
@ 2020-11-23  3:59         ` Gerardo Moro
From: Gerardo Moro @ 2020-11-23  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Berry, Charles, emacs-orgmode

Thanks so much, now it works when using that elisp function.
One thing yet:

> I am confused. I don't understand the syntax. The line "find
Documents/Org/
> -type f -iname "*.org" -exec echo " * [[file:`realpath {}`][{}]]" >
> meta-org.org \;" should be a function of its own?

That was shell command. Like in bash, dash, zsh and similar.

You mean a shell command to be executed in M-x shell-command? I did so, but
the output was

<*.org" -exec echo " * [[file:`realpath {}`][{}]]" > meta-org.org \
Thanks,
GM

@ 2020-11-23  5:21           ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-23  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerardo Moro; +Cc: Berry, Charles, emacs-orgmode

* Gerardo Moro <gerardomoro37@gmail.com> [2020-11-23 07:00]:
> Thanks so much, now it works when using that elisp function.

OK, it was your idea and I adopt the approach. If Elisp function
works, then shell command may not be important.

Org provides hyperlinks and that useful feature may be used as
on-the-fly information visualizer for many groups of smaller pieces of
information which could be obtained from some structure or found in
real time.

It is useful to think of Org as a meta hyperdocument visualizer and as
a self-helping and self-producing system. That would mean that few
simple functions could automate collection of pieces of information
for further human annotation and expansion.

Memex
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memex

Memacs
https://github.com/novoid/Memacs

Semantic Synchrony
https://github.com/synchrony/smsn

* Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files
@ 2020-11-23  8:12             ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-11-23  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis, Gerardo Moro; +Cc: Berry, Charles, emacs-orgmode

> Org provides hyperlinks and that useful feature may be used as
> on-the-fly information visualizer for many groups of smaller pieces of
> information which could be obtained from some structure or found in
> real time.

Also, one could quickly select one of multiple links under heading by
invoking C-c C-o with point at heading.

In the following example, C-c C-o would raise a buffer listing all the
links. Then, the links can be selected by pressing 1/2/3 (to open
first/second/third link):

*** NEXT <!point!> Commit all the changes
SCHEDULED: <2020-11-24 Tue .+1d>
:PROPERTIES:
:CREATED: [2019-04-18 Thu 09:40]
:STYLE: habit
:REPEAT_TO_STATE: NEXT
:LOGGING: DONE(!)
:ARCHIVE: %S_archive_%y.org::* Habits
:ORG-TIME-BONUS: 0
:LAST_REPEAT: [2020-11-23 Mon 14:10]
:SHOWFROMDATE: 2020-11-09
:RESET_CHECK_BOXES: t
:END:

- [[file:~/Org/]]
- [[file:~/Knowledge_base/2016/Private/Get_started_with_org_mode/]]
- file:/home/yantar92/Git/emacs-config

Best,
Ihor

@ 2020-11-23  8:40               ` Gerardo Moro
From: Gerardo Moro @ 2020-11-23  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Berry, Charles, emacs-orgmode, Jean Louis

Excellent stuff.
One question: what does <!point!> do? Thanks

@ 2020-11-23  9:11                 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-11-23  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerardo Moro; +Cc: Berry, Charles, emacs-orgmode, Jean Louis

> One question: what does <!point!> do? Thanks

Just wanted to indicate the cursor position.

Best,
Ihor

@ 2020-11-23  9:14               ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-23  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Berry, Charles, Gerardo Moro, emacs-orgmode

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> [2020-11-23 11:14]:
> > Org provides hyperlinks and that useful feature may be used as
> > on-the-fly information visualizer for many groups of smaller pieces of
> > information which could be obtained from some structure or found in
> > real time.
>
> Also, one could quickly select one of multiple links under heading by
> invoking C-c C-o with point at heading.

I did not know that. That is useful feature for Org.

Side note: there shall be feature in Org that quickly
captures the full link to the heading. Maybe it already
exists. Instead of constructing links by hand like entering
the file name, entering the heading for the link, there
shall by some automated feature:

Useful Feature A:
=================

- watching 2 windows with 2 Org files

- position cursor in first Org file to accept the hyperlink

- move to 2nd Org file any heading

- press key, and hyperlink is sent to 1st Org file properly
  formatted for specific heading in second Org file.

And then there shall be also collection of hyperlinks:

Useful feature B to collect hyperlinks similar to above:

- user browses one Org file and thinks of collecting various
multiple hyperlinks as such need to be referenced in other
Org file and I refer to headings only for now.

- user would just invoke the key in any heading and message
  would be "Heading `** TODO Things' captured in the ring"

- user would be able to browse various Org files and collect
  hyperlinks in memory collection.

- After several collections user could then go to other Org
files and invoke key or command to insert the whole
collection of hyperlinks.

Do you find that useful? Who does?

That is how I am implementing information in the personal
program HyperScope, it will get published when polished and
ripe.

Collections are similar to Dired marking, user can mark the
file and later decide what to do with it.

Org headings can be or could be marked with later action on
the whole collection of headings:

- re-filing all of them at once

- sending them all by email to other person (I do with Org)

- sending hyperlinks in other Org file (I do in HyperScope)

- creating new Org file with the collection of headings

- assigning properties to collection of headings, tasks,
todo or similar. I am often assigning tasks to people,
collection would help me re-assign tasks instead of doing it
one by one.

> In the following example, C-c C-o would raise a buffer listing all
> the links. Then, the links can be selected by pressing 1/2/3 (to
> open first/second/third link):

That is new to me and fine feature, thank you for reference.

But this here, this chunk of various properties shows how
Org users wish Org to be way more structured, that Org wants
to become more than just plain text, it wants to become
database.

@ 2020-11-23  9:14                   ` Gerardo Moro
From: Gerardo Moro @ 2020-11-23  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Berry, Charles, emacs-orgmode, Jean Louis

Ok, thanks!

@ 2020-11-23  9:52 ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2020-11-23  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerardo Moro; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Gerardo,

Apart from what others have suggested, what you can do if you have a fixed
list of files you want to quickly access, you could manually define
keybindings for them. I have four main files where I capture things, so I
define a submenu that allows me to access them quickly:

(note: I got this idea originally from Sacha Chua's
https://sachachua.com/blog/2015/02/learn-take-notes-efficiently-org-mode/)

First, I define a helper function to define keybindings that open files.
Note that this requires lexical binding to be enabled, so that  the
=lambda= creates a closure, otherwise the keybindings don't work.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun zz/add-file-keybinding (key file &optional desc)
  (let ((key key)
        (file file)
        (desc desc))
    (map! :desc (or desc file)
          key
          (lambda () (interactive) (find-file file)))))
#+end_src

(note #2: the map! macro is Doom Emacs-specific, should be replaced with
`bind-key` or equivalent if you are not using Doom)

Now I define keybindings to access my commonly-used org files.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(zz/add-file-keybinding "C-c z w" "~/Work/work.org.gpg" "work.org")
(zz/add-file-keybinding "C-c z i" "~/org/ideas.org" "ideas.org")
(zz/add-file-keybinding "C-c z p" "~/org/projects.org" "projects.org")
(zz/add-file-keybinding "C-c z d" "~/org/diary.org" "diary.org")
#+end_src

This results in a submenu bound to "C-c z" which looks like this, and which
allows me to quickly open my files:

[image: image.png]

--Diego

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 11:01 AM Gerardo Moro <gerardomoro37@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Basically that :)
> I'm looking for some setup that allows me to open a menu with a list of
> files and shortcut access keys to open them.
>
> Probably somebody has done this before.
>
> Thank you,
> GM

[-- Attachment #2: image.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 12302 bytes --]

* Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files
@ 2020-11-23 21:04   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-23 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: Gerardo Moro, emacs-orgmode

* Diego Zamboni <diego@zzamboni.org> [2020-11-23 12:53]:
> Hi Gerardo,
>
> Apart from what others have suggested, what you can do if you have a fixed
> list of files you want to quickly access, you could manually define
> keybindings for them. I have four main files where I capture things, so I
> define a submenu that allows me to access them quickly:
>
> (note: I got this idea originally from Sacha Chua's
> https://sachachua.com/blog/2015/02/learn-take-notes-efficiently-org-mode/)
>
> First, I define a helper function to define keybindings that open files.
> Note that this requires lexical binding to be enabled, so that  the
> =lambda= creates a closure, otherwise the keybindings don't work.
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (defun zz/add-file-keybinding (key file &optional desc)
>   (let ((key key)
>         (file file)
>         (desc desc))
>     (map! :desc (or desc file)
>           key
>           (lambda () (interactive) (find-file file)))))
> #+end_src
>
> (note #2: the map! macro is Doom Emacs-specific, should be replaced with
> `bind-key` or equivalent if you are not using Doom)
>
> Now I define keybindings to access my commonly-used org files.
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (zz/add-file-keybinding "C-c z w" "~/Work/work.org.gpg" "work.org")
> (zz/add-file-keybinding "C-c z i" "~/org/ideas.org" "ideas.org")
> (zz/add-file-keybinding "C-c z p" "~/org/projects.org" "projects.org")
> (zz/add-file-keybinding "C-c z d" "~/org/diary.org" "diary.org")
> #+end_src

Another idea how to quickly access those files could be with
completion function which could also be bound to a key.

(defun my-org-files ()
  (interactive)
  (let* ((list '(("Work" . "~/Work/work.org.gpg")
		 ("Ideas" . "~/org/ideas.org")
		 ("Projects" . "~/org/projects.org")
		 ("Diary" . "~/org/diary.org")))
	 (completion-ignore-case t)
	 (file (completing-read "My files: " list))
	 (file (cdr (assoc file list))))
    (find-file file)))

or function that finds all org files and offers completion on such:

(defun my-all-org-files ()
  (interactive)
  (let* ((my-org-dir "~/Documents/Org")
	 (all-org (directory-files my-org-dir t "\.org$"))
	 (alist '())
	 (all-org-alist (dolist (org all-org alist)
			  (setf (alist-get (file-name-base org) alist) org)))
	 (completion-ignore-case t)
	 (file (completing-read "My files: " all-org-alist))
	 (file (cdr (assoc file alist))))
    (find-file file)))

M-x my-all-org-files

Even better is when you turn on some visual completion package such as

M-x ivy-mode

or

M-x helm-mode

package ivy is in GNU ELPA

* Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files
@ 2020-11-24  4:07                 ` Gerardo Moro
From: Gerardo Moro @ 2020-11-24  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Berry, Charles, emacs-orgmode, Ihor Radchenko

 > Do you find that useful? Who does?
I definitely think it's very, very useful!
I constantly leave tabs open or use bookmarks, but it'd be great to add
them to ORG with a timestamp to watch later.
This way I wouldn't forget about them and they wouldn't take memory on the
browser if I don't bookmark them.

@ 2020-11-24  7:23                 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-11-24  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Berry, Charles, Gerardo Moro, emacs-orgmode

> Side note: there shall be feature in Org that quickly
> captures the full link to the heading. Maybe it already
> exists. Instead of constructing links by hand like entering
> the file name, entering the heading for the link, there
> shall by some automated feature:

See org-store-link and org-insert-link. org-store-link stores link in a
link ring and the link/links can be later inserted using
org-insert-link.

> Org headings can be or could be marked with later action on
> the whole collection of headings:

See bulk commands in agenda (Bulk remote editing selected entries):
https://orgmode.org/manual/Agenda-Commands.html

Manually picking headlines to put into agenda is not currently possible
in org-mode, but one can volunteer to do it. It is not too hard to
implement. Patches are welcome.

> - re-filing all of them at once

built-in

> - sending them all by email to other person (I do with Org)

> - sending hyperlinks in other Org file (I do in HyperScope)

> - creating new Org file with the collection of headings

not implemented, but see org-agenda-bulk-custom-functions for extending
the built-in functionality

> - assigning properties to collection of headings, tasks,
> todo or similar. I am often assigning tasks to people,
> collection would help me re-assign tasks instead of doing it
> one by one.

build-in bulk commands provide a way to assign todo keywords or tags.

> But this here, this chunk of various properties shows how
> Org users wish Org to be way more structured, that Org wants
> to become more than just plain text, it wants to become
> database.

As usual, it's user's choice how to use Org. There are built-in tools
that require storing metadata and org-mode devs chose to store
everything as plain text. If user does not want to use this feature, the
user is free to not use it or use alternative ways to store metadata (as
it is done in org-roam, for example).

@ 2020-11-24  7:26                   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-11-24  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerardo Moro, Jean Louis; +Cc: Berry, Charles, emacs-orgmode

> I definitely think it's very, very useful!
> I constantly leave tabs open or use bookmarks, but it'd be great to add
> them to ORG with a timestamp to watch later.
> This way I wouldn't forget about them and they wouldn't take memory on the
> browser if I don't bookmark them.

It is possible and many people use it (including me). Useful links:
- https://orgmode.org/manual/Capture.html#Capture
- https://orgmode.org/manual/Protocols.html#Protocols
- https://github.com/yantar92/org-capture-ref

@ 2020-11-24  9:28                   ` Gerardo Moro
From: Gerardo Moro @ 2020-11-24  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Berry, Charles, emacs-orgmode, Jean Louis

Hi,

See org-store-link and org-insert-link. org-store-link stores link in a
> link ring and the link/links can be later inserted using
> org-insert-link.

org-store-link would work only within Emacs, not for the case of copying
http links in the browser, right?

org-store-link

* Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files
@ 2020-11-24  9:53 ` John Sturdy
From: John Sturdy @ 2020-11-24  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerardo Moro; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I've got a rather specialized version of that at
https://github.com/hillwithsmallfields/JCGS-emacs/blob/master/special-setups/tasks/org-agenda-kiosk.el

It's aimed at navigating a collection of org-mode files via the numeric
keypad only, and I wrote it to go with some custom hardware I made (a
screen and keypadded embedded in a corkboard, so I can keep all my "things
to do" lists together, whether on paper or on the computer), hence it
having mappings for a keypad rotated 90degrees!

__John

@ 2020-11-24  9:57                     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-11-24  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerardo Moro; +Cc: Berry, Charles, emacs-orgmode, Jean Louis

> org-store-link would work only within Emacs, not for the case of copying
> http links in the browser, right?

Indeed. If you want to copy "[[url][title]]" string directly from
browser, you should probably write a simple bookmarklet. I have seen
someone sharing it in reddit, but cannot find the comment anymore.
In any case, you might look at
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5046972/copy-text-to-clipboard-from-bookmarklet
for ideas how to do it.

Also, you can capture webpage as a heading using org-capture +
org-protocol:
1. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/org-capture/
2. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/org-capture/kkkjlfejijcjgjllecmnejhogpbcigdc
3. https://seds.nl/notes/orgmode-firefox-bookmark/
4. https://github.com/yantar92/org-capture-ref (shameless plug)

Or you can write a custom org-capture handler that invokes org-store-link

@ 2020-11-24 10:04   ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2020-11-24 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am Tue, 24 Nov 2020 09:53:15 +0000
schrieb John Sturdy <jcg.sturdy@gmail.com>:

> It's aimed at navigating a collection of org-mode files via the
> numeric keypad only, and I wrote it to go with some custom hardware I
> made (a screen and keypadded embedded in a corkboard, so I can keep
> all my "things to do" lists together, whether on paper or on the
> computer), hence it having mappings for a keypad rotated 90degrees!

Would you mind to share a picture? Or two?

Detlef

* Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files
@ 2020-11-24 13:44     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-24 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Detlef Steuer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Detlef Steuer <steuer@hsu-hh.de> [2020-11-24 13:07]:
> Am Tue, 24 Nov 2020 09:53:15 +0000
> schrieb John Sturdy <jcg.sturdy@gmail.com>:
>
> > It's aimed at navigating a collection of org-mode files via the
> > numeric keypad only, and I wrote it to go with some custom hardware I
> > made (a screen and keypadded embedded in a corkboard, so I can keep
> > all my "things to do" lists together, whether on paper or on the
> > computer), hence it having mappings for a keypad rotated 90degrees!
>

> Would you mind to share a picture? Or two?

I wanted to tell the same. I think that concept of various keys
separate from main keyboard is great.

* Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files
@ 2020-11-24 14:38   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-24 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Sturdy; +Cc: Gerardo Moro, emacs-orgmode

* John Sturdy <jcg.sturdy@gmail.com> [2020-11-24 12:54]:
> I've got a rather specialized version of that at

https://github.com/hillwithsmallfields/JCGS-emacs/blob/master/special-setups/tasks/org-agenda-kiosk.el

> It's aimed at navigating a collection of org-mode files via the numeric
> keypad only, and I wrote it to go with some custom hardware I made (a
> screen and keypadded embedded in a corkboard, so I can keep all my "things
> to do" lists together, whether on paper or on the computer), hence it
> having mappings for a keypad rotated 90degrees!

How does that work to keep paper and computer stuff together?