From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
To: "Kristian Grönberg" <kristian@gronberg.org>
Cc: Org-Mode Emacs <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Clock tables and two ways to categorize tasks
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 21:16:37 +0300

* Kristian Grönberg <kristian@gronberg.org> [2020-11-22 08:56]:

> > On 20 Nov 2020, at 10:23, Leo Okawa Ericson <leo@relevant-information.com> wrote:
> >

> > Some time ago I hacked together a bunch of elisp to create a clock
> > table

I am sorry what is clock table?

I found only this one: https://tinyurl.com/y2jomwqr

Or do you mean clock-in and clock-out like tracking how much time was
spent on specific task? For me that would be attention slurp, it means
I would need to put attention to do the action clock-in and clock-out
or clock-start and clock-stop. Maybe because I cannot relate my work
to tracking time I do not use it.

I am human not computer. Humans put attention on important things like
writing and not on when writing began exactly and when did it stop
exactly. Self-observation is fine in general and I recommend it, but
for repetitiv stuff computers should be counting it for us.

Instead of that current feature, which I would rather call
anti-feature, what is really better is to simply designate subtree
that such subtree wants to get tracked for work. When user enters the
subtree and moves with cursor or writes anything or have it on screen
then it should automatically start the clock and end the clock. And
such statistic would be 100% of time wrong as user would need to make
a break like to go to bathroom or eat and would forget to stop the
clock.

And if it tracks something else but work within the text file, like
tracking how long time it takes to change a tyre then such tracking
better be done by using something like Stoppuhr or stopwatch. To me
that piece of time tracking information seem counter-productive anyway
unless there is some race going on.

I know that many people get paid by their time but not that I agree to
that, I like paying for services done, products but not for time
spent and also do not charge people by my time spent for their
benefit. As time in itself does not give anything useful unless I put
something useful inside.

Those useful objects should be tracked and counted, something like how
many breads have been produced, or how many phones have been sold or
manufactured, how many clients have been served.

From viewpoint of non-time tracker such time tracking would make me
lazy and frantic about stopping and starting time and there would be
no way to exclude human errors so statistic would be wrong 100% of
time.

I am tracking real things, like emails sent as that number of email
sent influences sales, then leads coming to database as influencing
number of leads to subscribe to information increases sales, products
sold, money in, something like that. Time tracking would be last for
me.