From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
To: TRS-80 <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Org Capture Menu cannot be fully viewed
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 19:52:06 +0300	[thread overview]

* TRS-80 <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name> [2020-12-13 07:31]:
> I am beginning to suspect you have bigger data and more options than fit
> comfortably into a capture template.  I could be wrong, but in my mind
> at least, the idea of capture templates is to quickly store small ideas,
> notes, TODOs, etc. so you can go back to what you were working on in the
> first place, with minimal interruption to your original train of
> thought.

That is really great idea and also as a built-in good as a teaching
jump board for people. It obviously has to be extended to
completing-read function or something better usable than the original
screen made in way how BBS was made back in 1994.

> As I mentioned in last mail, I think Org Properties might be more what
> you might be looking for.  You may or may not even need any custom Elisp
> in addition to that.

That is also another good concept. It also shows that Org mode wish to
become relational database.

> Try and just play around with that, create some heading and do
> org-set-property and then enter a key and value.  If you want to set a
> list to choose from, you put at top of file something like:
>
> #+PROPERTY: Investigation_Type_ALL Site_Stabilize Heritage_Management
> #+PROPERTY: District_ALL 1 2 3
> #+PROPERTY: Site_Type_ALL Domestic Funerary Water-Related Settlement

That is great tool and I used it to assign Org tasks to people. Since
short time I do not use it any more, as it will become more and more
waste of time with the enlargement of my work. Yet it shows how people
can relate headings to other imaginary objects.

Later, a simple function may iterate over all headings, capture the
headings and insert into different type of databases. Of course all
hard coded properties have to be matched by the function as well to
the other database fields.

> You may need to press C-c C-c within the above to re-load and make it
> live.

Sad is that computer does not think about that for human. When
abandoning this line #+PROPERTY: update properties...

> If you like something like that, it's easy to copy blank template and
> just open new one for each survey or whatever you are doing and go from
> there.  And then here is where Emacs and Orgmode really shine, as they
> are unparalleled as note taking tools.  You can include pictures,
> tables, etc. headlines and lists, etc.  But you probably know all that
> already.

Hmm, ok fine, I see you like Emacs, me too. But not as much to be
blind that other ways of note taking do not exist.

I would like that it shines, but is not user friendly compared to
other tools. It is our beloed mode within Emacs, yet I do not see how
it is unparalleled to everything else that exists. One good result of
Org mode as buggy software is that many people start learning
programming.

The shiny software:

Leo editor vs Org-mode
https://leoeditor.com/emacs.html

Leo programmable editor -- really inspired by Org mode, supports code
execution and much better hyperlinking of elementary objects. Shines.
http://leoeditor.com/

Cherrytree - hierarchical note taking application with rich text and
syntax highlighting. Supports code execution like Org babel and
exports to plethora of formats. Shines.
https://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

Joplin -- shines
https://joplinapp.org/

Turtleapp note taking application, shines.
https://turtlapp.com/download/

Let us shine.