* Bug: org-capture does not work if called from minibuffer [9.4 (9.4-55-g706ba9-elpaplus @ /home/omarantolin/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20201207/)]
@ 2020-12-11 18:23 Omar Antolín Camarena
From: Omar Antolín Camarena @ 2020-12-11 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

I have enable-recursive-minibuffers set to t, and just noticed that
org-capture does not work if called from the minibuffer.

Steps to reproduce:

1. run emacs -Q
2. evaluate (setq enable-recursive-minibuffers t) in the scratch buffer
3. Open the minibuffer, say by using C-x C-f
4. While still in find-file, run M-x org-capture and pick a template (t for Task seems to be offered by default).

You should get an error message saying "Can't expand minibuffer to full frame".

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-10-13, unofficial emacs-snapshot build: http://emacs.ganneff.de/, git commit 8d241e8840fdb02dcfce52425626dd8f2125e51a
Package: Org mode version 9.4 (9.4-55-g706ba9-elpaplus @ /home/omarantolin/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20201207/)

* Re: Bug: org-capture does not work if called from minibuffer [9.4 (9.4-55-g706ba9-elpaplus @ /home/omarantolin/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20201207/)]
  2020-12-11 18:23 Bug: org-capture does not work if called from minibuffer [9.4 (9.4-55-g706ba9-elpaplus @ /home/omarantolin/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20201207/)] Omar Antolín Camarena
@ 2020-12-12 17:55 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-12-12 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Antolín Camarena; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Omar,

thanks for reporting this.

Omar Antolín Camarena <omar@matem.unam.mx> writes:

> I have enable-recursive-minibuffers set to t, and just noticed that
> org-capture does not work if called from the minibuffer.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
> 1. run emacs -Q
> 2. evaluate (setq enable-recursive-minibuffers t) in the scratch buffer
> 3. Open the minibuffer, say by using C-x C-f
> 4. While still in find-file, run M-x org-capture and pick a template (t for Task seems to be offered by default).
>
> You should get an error message saying "Can't expand minibuffer to
> full frame".

Would you be okay with a user-error message like

  "Cannot call org-capture from the minibuffer"

?

--
 Bastien

@ 2020-12-14 18:58   ` Omar Antolín Camarena
From: Omar Antolín Camarena @ 2020-12-14 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Would you be okay with a user-error message like "Cannot call org-capture
from the minibuffer"?

Oh, if I'm going to get an error message I don't care which one it is.
Might as well leave things as they are currently. What I was hoping is that
you would be able to fix org-capture so that you can also call it from the
minibuffer, if enable-recursive-minibuffers is set to t. I like to think
that I can call org-capture no matter what I am doing, take a quick note or
reminder, and go back to whatever it was. It is almost like that: I can't
interrupt myself if the minibuffer is open, but I can in all other cases.

This is not a big deal, so if it's not easy to fix, just leave it as is.
But if it happens to be easy to do I think it would be worthwhile, so that
org-capture can live up to its reputation of being able to quickly capture
something /no matter what you were doing at the time/!

--
Omar

--
Omar Antolín Camarena

@ 2020-12-14 19:14     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-12-14 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Antolín Camarena; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

* Omar Antolín Camarena <omar.antolin@gmail.com> [2020-12-14 22:03]:
> > Would you be okay with a user-error message like "Cannot call org-capture
> from the minibuffer"?
>
> Oh, if I'm going to get an error message I don't care which one it is.
> Might as well leave things as they are currently. What I was hoping is that
> you would be able to fix org-capture so that you can also call it from the
> minibuffer, if enable-recursive-minibuffers is set to t.

On my side that works. When it is enabled I get screen for Org capture
and I can do it.

> I like to think that I can call org-capture no matter what I am
> doing, take a quick note or reminder, and go back to whatever it
> was. It is almost like that: I can't interrupt myself if the
> minibuffer is open, but I can in all other cases.

One solution you can use is that you open separate Emacs instance or
Emacs as server that loads org-capture and serves for capturing
things. It may run in background without interrupting your work. It
can then spawn emacsclient to annotate or write the captured note.

Jean

@ 2020-12-15  0:40       ` Omar Antolín Camarena
From: Omar Antolín Camarena @ 2020-12-15  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Bastien, Omar Antolín Camarena, emacs-orgmode

> On my side that works. When it is enabled I get screen for Org capture
> and I can do it.

Odd, it definitely does not work here. If I call org-capture from the
minibuffer, the *Org Select* buffer does appear, but choosing any
template produces an error message of the form:

org-capture: Capture template ‘j’: Can’t expand minibuffer to full frame

> One solution you can use is that you open separate Emacs instance or
> Emacs as server that loads org-capture and serves for capturing
> things. It may run in background without interrupting your work. It
> can then spawn emacsclient to annotate or write the captured note.

Sure, but a much simpler solution is to exit the minibuffer before
calling org-capture. *shrug*

--
Omar

@ 2020-12-15  4:51         ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-12-15  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Antolín Camarena; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

* Omar Antolín Camarena <omar.antolin@gmail.com> [2020-12-15 03:40]:
> > On my side that works. When it is enabled I get screen for Org capture
> > and I can do it.
>
> Odd, it definitely does not work here. If I call org-capture from the
> minibuffer, the *Org Select* buffer does appear, but choosing any
> template produces an error message of the form:
>
> org-capture: Capture template ‘j’: Can’t expand minibuffer to full
> frame

You are right, I did not complete the task, and that error is
there. I don't think it is hard to make it work. I have tried my
personal recursive buffer editing and other function and such work in
recursive minibuffer, so it indicates that function org-capture could
be made better that it works in every condition.