* documentation versions question
@ 2011-06-23  9:54 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-06-23  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Once git pull has been run and the build of org and documentation have
been done and installed, should info org provide the org version of 6.33x?
Also, orgguide doesn't get added to my info files is it supposed to be
held separate for some reason?  orgguide has version of 7.50 on it and I
expect that's correct too.

* Re: documentation versions question
@ 2011-06-23 14:42 ` Ian Barton
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Ian Barton @ 2011-06-23 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 23/06/11 10:54, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Once git pull has been run and the build of org and documentation have
> been done and installed, should info org provide the org version of 6.33x?
> Also, orgguide doesn't get added to my info files is it supposed to be
> held separate for some reason?  orgguide has version of 7.50 on it and I
> expect that's correct too.

If you are running Linux, this depends on your distribution. The problem
is that Emacs is probably looking in a different place for the info file
to the place where the Makefile installed it.

My inelegant approach is to define a keyboard macro that points to the
place where the Makefile installed the info file:

(global-set-key (kbd "<f9> i") (lambda ()
                                  (interactive)
                                  (info

"~/dropbox/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/org")))

A more subtle approach would be to edit the Makefile to put the info
file in the right place. However, on Ubuntu it's not all clear where
this should be.

Ian.

* Re: documentation versions question
@ 2011-06-23 15:06 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-06-23 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:

> Once git pull has been run and the build of org and documentation have
> been done and installed, should info org provide the org version of 6.33x?
> Also, orgguide doesn't get added to my info files is it supposed to be
> held separate for some reason?  orgguide has version of 7.50 on it and I
> expect that's correct too.

I got tired of dealing with info setup in .emacs and have resorted to
setting the following env variable in my .profile:

INFOPATH= /home/nick/src/emacs/org/org-mode/doc:/usr/local/info:/usr/local/share/info:/usr/info:/usr/share/info
export INFOPATH

It changes very rarely (not at all in the past couple of years) and
works with no fuss - but, most importantly, it provides one-stop
shopping when a change is needed.

Nick

PS Linux/Unix obviously - I don't know how to do it on Windoze.

* Re: documentation versions question
@ 2011-06-23 15:31   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-06-23 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Ian Barton <lists@wilkesley.net> wrote:
> A more subtle approach would be to edit the Makefile to put the info file in
> the right place. However, on Ubuntu it's not all clear where this should be.

Or something like this in the emacs init file:

;; Info directory
(add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list
             (expand-file-name "/opt/emacs-lisp/share/info"))

--
Suvayu

* install-info-debian on ubuntu? (was: documentation versions question)
@ 2011-06-23 16:15   ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-06-23 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ian Barton <lists@wilkesley.net> writes:

[...]
> A more subtle approach would be to edit the Makefile to put the info
> file in the right place. However, on Ubuntu it's not all clear where
> this should be.

Interesting,

,----[ (info "(org)Installation") ]
| Check your system documentation to find out which of the following
| commands you need:
|
|      make install-info
|      make install-info-debian
`----

is ubuntu that different in this regard that the
second version does not work?

Memnon

* Re: documentation versions question
@ 2011-06-24  3:18   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-06-24  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This is slackware 13.0 and another disk has debian squeeze on it and
both exhibit identical behavior.  What I did was to edit the makefile
and change prefix from /usr/local to /usr but there was no immediate
change after build and install.  It could be though there will be by
tomorrow morning since if I remember correctly install-info gets run
once daily and that may update everything correctly.

@ 2011-06-24  3:54 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2011-06-24  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos wrote:
> I got tired of dealing with info setup in .emacs and have resorted to
> setting the following env variable in my .profile:
> INFOPATH= /home/nick/src/emacs/org/org-mode/doc:/usr/local/info:/usr/local/share/info:/usr/info:/usr/share/info

If you see the texinfo docs
http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/texinfo/Other-Info-Directories.html
it suggests that ending the path with colon appends the builtin
directories (So you only need the first one)
Also described in the emacs variable Info-directory-list.

[Not tried]

* Re: documentation versions question
@ 2011-06-24  8:24     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-06-24  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Suvayu,

suvayu ali wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Ian Barton <lists-7pvjUo7bQWlIf6P1QZMOBw@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> A more subtle approach would be to edit the Makefile to put the info file in
>> the right place. However, on Ubuntu it's not all clear where this should be.
>
> Or something like this in the emacs init file:
>
> ;; Info directory
> (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list
>              (expand-file-name "/opt/emacs-lisp/share/info"))

Should we use Info-default-directory-list or Info-directory-list? Still not
clear to me which one is the best...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: documentation versions question
@ 2011-06-24 20:49       ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-06-24 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastien,

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 1:24 AM, Sebastien Vauban
<wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> wrote:
> Hi Suvayu,
>
> suvayu ali wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Ian Barton <lists@wilkesley.net> wrote:
>>> A more subtle approach would be to edit the Makefile to put the info file in
>>> the right place. However, on Ubuntu it's not all clear where this should be.
>>
>> Or something like this in the emacs init file:
>>
>> ;; Info directory
>> (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list
>>              (expand-file-name "/opt/emacs-lisp/share/info"))
>
> Should we use Info-default-directory-list or Info-directory-list? Still not
> clear to me which one is the best...

According to my understanding Info-default-directory-list and/or the
INFOPATH environment variable is used to populate the
Info-directory-list variable when info is called. So I would recommend
you customise either Info-default-directory-list or INFOPATH.

> Best regards,
>  Seb

I hope this helps. :)

--