From: David Thole <dthole@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Auto-saving/loading files (without prompts)
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 12:41:57 -0600 (CST)	[thread overview]

Hey all,

One thing I noticed about org mode I'm hoping to resolve.  Basically with
using git, and having something pull into the specific org file, the
contents of the file change often.

The problem I'm having is that what I'd like to do is to refresh the
buffer, and reload this file on specific intervals.  When changes are made
to the file - say a state changes or something like that, I want to
automatically save back to the file near immediately.  I'm trying to
reduce the amount of race conditions I have in if I run from the following
type of workflow:

- Load agenda
- clock in, out, add notes
- refresh file from ticket tracker
- Try to save file - fail because file potentially changed.

I'd like to try and get it to work as the following:

- Load agenda
- auto save file every 20 seconds or so: clock in, out, add notes
- Refresh file from ticket tracker (this is done, already merges with
current org file)
- reloads buffers automatically (no prompt on "this file has changed",
automatically reload first then allow the edit to go through again.
- auto save file and repeat the above 2 steps.

I'm not totally sure if this would work, but right now what I do is:
- Load agenda
- Edit agenda as necessary
- Save Manually
- run python script to pull redmine stuff which will save it to the same
file, merged.
- hit refresh, confirm a few times that I want to reload the file and
continue from step 2 on.

The main thing I'd like to fix if the overal solution doesn't work is a
way to reload the file without confirming.  So if I try to refresh the
agenda buffer that it would automatically reload the file too, without
confirmation.  I have an emacs lisp command I created that does this for
me.

Any ideas on how to handle this, or how to streamline this process at all?

Thanks,

David