From: Nick Savage <nick@nicksavage.ca>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Concerns about community contributor support
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 17:40:56 -0400	[thread overview]

As a new contributor, I wanted to add my two cents. I've submitted a
minor amount of patches (somewhere between 1 and 3, I can't remember
exactly), and I feel that the other problems you raise, primarily the
first one, are obstacles towards that though. Patches like that are
obviously minor, since they aren't fixing bugs, so they're low priority.
That drags out the process though, and it's a little discouraging to
submit patches that don't receive responses, and make me less eager to
submit more.For example, I submitted a tiny refactoring patch last month
that hasn't received an answer yet. I'm not looking for special
treatment of course, and think that review of patches is super important
(especially for a new contributor like me)

I think that the solutions you raise are great starts. I feel like the
documentation that I've used has been pretty accurate, but it could
always be better, and someone who is the point person for dealing with
people like me would be a good idea. I would not like to volunteer for
that myself. I don't feel comfortable enough with my abilities, or my
experience with the community, to able to help others or give reasonable
answers for patches other than something like "yes, I've seen this". I
will try to help out more with verifying bugs though.

On a side note, I'd like some guidance though on whether or not the
community is interested in a refactoring project (done in pieces of
course). I'm wondering if I should be attempting to submit minor (or
larger) patches moving things around to make it easier to maintain, if
there is a way to go about this (since submitting a bunch at a time,
breaking them up, etc), certain things I should focus on or ignore, etc.
I haven't done much since that mostly because work has consumed my free
time, but I'm going to have a significant amount more free time starting
in the next week or so, so I'm looking for somewhere to direct my energies!