* Novice questions about using git for personal data files
@ 2009-01-23 11:55 Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-01-23 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I followed the steps outlined in the worg tutorial about using git to keep
track of changes to one's own org data tree.

I still don't understand: how does one go about recovering an earlier
version of a file that has been corrupted?  Is there a good tutorial on this
aspect of using git?  I really like this idea, especially since I have
several times bodged an org-mode file by foolishly doing this:
   C-x C-T *

and making other importune mistakes.

Thank you,

--
Alan

It is undesirable to believe a proposition when
there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
 -- Bertrand Russell

* Re: Novice questions about using git for personal data files
@ 2009-01-23 14:13 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-01-23 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Alan E. Davis wrote:
> I followed the steps outlined in the worg tutorial about using git to keep
> track of changes to one's own org data tree.
>
> I still don't understand: how does one go about recovering an earlier
> version of a file that has been corrupted? Is there a good tutorial on this
> aspect of using git?

I am not aware of any tutorial on this but may following should help.

1. Do a "git log" in the repo to see what commits you have made
2. Decide from which commit you want to revive the file (most likely
   it would be the top most one.)
3. Note down the SHA1 for this commit (first eight or so characters
   should suffice.)
4. Following should get you the file:
   $ git checkout <SHA1> <file to checkout>
5. You may need to add and commit the file back again to your git
   repo.

Frequent commits is a good idea but it's a burden so you might want to
create a small shell-script to commit periodically (hourly or so
maybe) for you.

Do let us know how it goes.

HTH
--