* case sensitivity
@ 2012-03-24  2:43 Ilya Shlyakhter
From: Ilya Shlyakhter @ 2012-03-24  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

How should case-sensitivity work in Org?  The documentation doesn't
specify.  From past messages, it looks like tags and todo keywords
are defined to be case-sensitive.  What about priorities, categories,
user-defined properties, regexp matching of entries, following of
links-to-headlines?  Other cases?

* Re: case sensitivity
@ 2012-03-24  6:58 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-03-24  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Shlyakhter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ilya,

Ilya Shlyakhter <ilya_shl@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> How should case-sensitivity work in Org?  The documentation doesn't
> specify.  From past messages, it looks like tags and todo keywords
> are defined to be case-sensitive.  What about priorities, categories,
> user-defined properties, regexp matching of entries, following of
> links-to-headlines?  Other cases?

Let's take cases one by one.

If there is an issue with a syntactic element being case-(in)sensitive
while (1) it should not and/or (2) docs suggests otherwise, then let's
tackle the problem.

But I'm sure you're not short of examples :)

Thanks,

--
 Bastien

* Re: case sensitivity
@ 2012-03-24 16:07   ` Ilya Shlyakhter
From: Ilya Shlyakhter @ 2012-03-24 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 3/24/2012 2:58 AM, Bastien wrote:
>> How should case-sensitivity work in Org?  The documentation doesn't
>> specify.  From past messages, it looks like tags and todo keywords
>> are defined to be case-sensitive.  What about priorities, categories,
>> user-defined properties, regexp matching of entries, following of
>> links-to-headlines?  Other cases?

> If there is an issue with a syntactic element being case-(in)sensitive
> while (1) it should not and/or (2) docs suggests otherwise, then let's
> tackle the problem.

Problem is, docs are cleverly silent on the issue :)  So for one, it
would be good if the docs specified it one way or the other at least
in the above cases.  But also in the code, case-fold-search is sometimes
explicitly set before testing regexps and sometimes isn't.  I started
fixing this, then realized that there is no spec for the right behavior.
So I thought I'd check with the list first.

ilya