* Printing in indent mode
@ 2011-09-29 13:27 Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2011-09-29 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings!

Is there a way to print the document tree in indent mode so that the
hidden stars would not show up in the printed version? The indent mode
is really nice for hierarchical list, but at least my printout with,
e.g., "Postscript Print Buffer (B+W)" makes the mode useless for paper
versions.

--

Jarmo Hurri

* Re: Printing in indent mode
@ 2011-09-29 13:58 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-09-29 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@syk.fi> writes:

> Greetings!
>
> Is there a way to print the document tree in indent mode so that the
> hidden stars would not show up in the printed version? The indent mode
> is really nice for hierarchical list, but at least my printout with,
> e.g., "Postscript Print Buffer (B+W)" makes the mode useless for paper
> versions.

Don't you think exporting the buffer to say pdf is a better option than
printing the buffer directly?

> --
>
> Jarmo Hurri

* Re: Printing in indent mode
@ 2011-09-30  6:50   ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2011-09-30  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> Is there a way to print the document tree in indent mode so that the
>> hidden stars would not show up in the printed version?
>
> Don't you think exporting the buffer to say pdf is a better option
> than printing the buffer directly?

That would be very nice, but I do not know how to do this for a
hierarchical list so that the result would look like a list. I tried
org-export-as-pdf, but it gives me an output that is far from a list:
the result is a complete document, with a table of contents, section
numbering and each item in the list either as a section or a subsection.

--

Jarmo Hurri

* Re: Printing in indent mode
@ 2011-09-30  8:44     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-09-30  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@syk.fi> writes:

> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Is there a way to print the document tree in indent mode so that the
>>> hidden stars would not show up in the printed version?
>>
>> Don't you think exporting the buffer to say pdf is a better option
>> than printing the buffer directly?
>
> That would be very nice, but I do not know how to do this for a
> hierarchical list so that the result would look like a list. I tried
> org-export-as-pdf, but it gives me an output that is far from a list:
> the result is a complete document, with a table of contents, section
> numbering and each item in the list either as a section or a subsection.

Please post an example org file and the hierarchical list that you want
to export. Also post a png image or a screenshot of what the output
should look like.

I strongly believe there is a way to do what you want without resorting
to postscript printing.

Have you tried exporting to ASCII - C-c C-e a - and print that buffer
instead?

> --
>
> Jarmo Hurri

* Re: Printing in indent mode
@ 2011-09-30 10:24     ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2011-09-30 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@syk.fi> writes:

Hi, Jarmo ,

> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Is there a way to print the document tree in indent mode so that the
>>> hidden stars would not show up in the printed version?
>>
>> Don't you think exporting the buffer to say pdf is a better option
>> than printing the buffer directly?
>
> That would be very nice, but I do not know how to do this for a
> hierarchical list so that the result would look like a list. I tried
> org-export-as-pdf, but it gives me an output that is far from a list:
> the result is a complete document, with a table of contents, section
> numbering and each item in the list either as a section or a
> subsection.

For a subtree:
* A list
:PROPERTIES:
:EXPORT_TITLE:
:EXPORT_OPTIONS:  H:0 num:nil toc:nil \n:t @:t ::t |:t ^:t f:nil *:t tags:nil TeX:t LaTeX:nil skip:t p:nil  author:nil  email:nil  creator:nil timestamp:nil
:END:
** title of list
*** item 1
**** item 1.2
***** item 1.3
****** item 1.4
*** item 2

C-c @  C-c C-e b [for html]

If you want to export the whole document, please configure the
line accordingly.

hth
Giovanni

* Re: Printing in indent mode
@ 2011-10-02  5:16       ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2011-10-02  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> writes:

>> That would be very nice, but I do not know how to do this for a
>> hierarchical list so that the result would look like a list.
>
> For a subtree:
> * A list
> :PROPERTIES:
> :EXPORT_TITLE:
> :EXPORT_OPTIONS:  H:0 num:nil toc:nil \n:t @:t ::t |:t ^:t f:nil *:t tags:nil TeX:t LaTeX:nil skip:t p:nil  author:nil  email:nil  creator:nil timestamp:nil
> :END:

Thanks, works like a charm!

It might be useful for me to define this as a function (like
org-export-as-pdf-as-is). I will try to figure out later how I could do
it.

All the best,

Jarmo