* preserving location of point
@ 2010-07-09 19:14 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-07-09 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm using org mode of about a week ago, and have noticed that when I
leave point inside a table in org mode, switch to another buffer, and
switch back again, point is placed at the the end of the table. I'm
switching back and forth quite a bit and it's a pain finding my place in
the table again -- I wonder if this is something that could be fixed,
either through a user option or in the source code?

Thanks!
Eric

* Re: preserving location of point
@ 2010-07-09 20:07 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-07-09 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I'm using org mode of about a week ago, and have noticed that when I
> leave point inside a table in org mode, switch to another buffer, and
> switch back again, point is placed at the the end of the table. I'm
> switching back and forth quite a bit and it's a pain finding my place in
> the table again -- I wonder if this is something that could be fixed,
> either through a user option or in the source code?

Hi Eric,

I'm using

GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.11) of 2008-11-09 on raven, modified by Debian
Org-mode version 6.36trans (release_6.36.587.gb482)

and I'm not seeing the behaviour you describe.  If I put the point in a
table field, then C-x C-b *scratch* RET and then move the point in the
scratch buffer and switch back to the original org-mode buffer point is
still in the table exactly where I left it.

-Bernt

* Re: preserving location of point
@ 2010-07-10  4:09   ` Noorul Islam K M
From: Noorul Islam K M @ 2010-07-10  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

>> I'm using org mode of about a week ago, and have noticed that when I
>> leave point inside a table in org mode, switch to another buffer, and
>> switch back again, point is placed at the the end of the table. I'm
>> switching back and forth quite a bit and it's a pain finding my place in
>> the table again -- I wonder if this is something that could be fixed,
>> either through a user option or in the source code?
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> I'm using
>
> GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.11) of 2008-11-09 on raven, modified by Debian
> Org-mode version 6.36trans (release_6.36.587.gb482)
>
> and I'm not seeing the behaviour you describe.  If I put the point in a
> table field, then C-x C-b *scratch* RET and then move the point in the
> scratch buffer and switch back to the original org-mode buffer point is
> still in the table exactly where I left it.

An this is what I am using

GNU Emacs 23.2.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) of 2010-06-08 on sajida
Org-mode version 6.36trans (release_6.36.452.g452b0)

I am also not facing Eric's problem.

- Noorul

* Re: preserving location of point
@ 2010-07-12 18:29     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-07-12 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Noorul Islam K M <noorul@noorul.com> writes:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>
>>> I'm using org mode of about a week ago, and have noticed that when I
>>> leave point inside a table in org mode, switch to another buffer,
>>> and switch back again, point is placed at the the end of the table.
>>> I'm switching back and forth quite a bit and it's a pain finding my
>>> place in the table again -- I wonder if this is something that could
>>> be fixed, either through a user option or in the source code?
>>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> I'm using
>>
>> GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.11) of
>> 2008-11-09 on raven, modified by Debian Org-mode version 6.36trans
>> (release_6.36.587.gb482)
>>
>> and I'm not seeing the behaviour you describe. If I put the point in
>> a table field, then C-x C-b *scratch* RET and then move the point in
>> the scratch buffer and switch back to the original org-mode buffer
>> point is still in the table exactly where I left it.
>
> An this is what I am using
>
> GNU Emacs 23.2.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) of 2010-06-08 on sajida Org-mode
> version 6.36trans (release_6.36.452.g452b0)
>
> I am also not facing Eric's problem.

Starting with emacs -Q fixes the problem, so I guess it's something I've
done. Thanks for the responses...