* strange behavior for export
@ 2010-04-30 17:01 Erik Butz
From: Erik Butz @ 2010-04-30 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I have the following problem:

I have set up my emacs so as to use org-mode uncompiled from a local directory

# from .emacs
(setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp" load-path))
(setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/org-mode/contrib/lisp" load-path))

starting emacs22 or 23 and displaying M-x org-version I get:

Org-mode version 6.35trans (release_6.35g.207.g7f085)

so indeed the version from the local directory.

when I take a document with the following preamble:

#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+TITLE:     present.org
#+AUTHOR:    Erik
#+EMAIL:     erik@eddie
#+DATE:      2010-04-08 Thu
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en
#+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0
path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
#+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+LINK_UP:
#+LINK_HOME:

and export this to latex I get the following:

\documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{hyperref}

\title{present.org}
\author{Erik}
\date{2010-04-08 Thu}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
\tableofcontents

\end{document}

so despite the #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer, the document gets exported as
'article'. Even worse, when I try to export the same document again
afterwards, I get a:
No definition for class `beamer' in `org-export-latex-classes'

error.

When I issue a 'reload-org-uncompiled' directly after starting emacs,
this behavior does not occur.

In this case I get, as expected:

\documentclass{beamer}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{fixltx2e}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{float}
\usepackage{wrapfig}
\usepackage{soul}
\usepackage{t1enc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{marvosym}
\usepackage{wasysym}
\usepackage{latexsym}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\tolerance=1000
\providecommand{\alert}[1]{\textbf{#1}}

\title{present.org}
\author{Erik}
\date{2010-04-08 Thu}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\begin{frame}
\frametitle{Outline}
\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
\tableofcontents
\end{frame}

\end{document}

any hints appreciated on how this behavior comes about.

Cheers,

Erik

* Re: strange behavior for export
@ 2010-05-01 11:57 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-01 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Butz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

I think this could mean two things.  Most likely org is loading
some other version of org-latex.el.  One way to find out is to run M-x
list-load-path-shadows.

Another possibility is that you have somewhere a configuration setting
of org-export-latex-classes that is old and does not contain the
beamer class definition, and somehow that setting is loaded before org-
latex.el is loaded.

HTH

- Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: strange behavior for export
@ 2010-05-01 12:46   ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2010-05-01 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik, Erik Butz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eric,

where in your .emacs is the (require 'org-install) command?

In one of my setups I had it before the load-paths.

I didn't notice, because of an older version of org-mode
bundled with emacs; org-version reports the new version
but that is not what my emacs used in exporting.

Carsten,

is there a reason why the manual says I should do the 'make'
after it talks about load-path but before it tells me to put
(require 'org-install) into the .emacs-file?

I should know better, but I still managed to confuse one of
my .emacs-files when I started using org-mode.

Best regards
Robert

On Sat, 01 May 2010 13:57:17 +0200, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> I think this could mean two things.  Most likely org is loading
> some other version of org-latex.el.  One way to find out is to run M-x
> list-load-path-shadows.
>
> Another possibility is that you have somewhere a configuration setting
> of org-export-latex-classes that is old and does not contain the beamer
> class definition, and somehow that setting is loaded before org-latex.el
> is loaded.
>
> HTH
>
> - Carsten
>
> On Apr 30, 2010, at 7:01 PM, Erik Butz wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have the following problem:
>>
>> I have set up my emacs so as to use org-mode uncompiled from a local
>> directory
>>
>> # from .emacs
>> (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp" load-path))
>> (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/org-mode/contrib/lisp" load-path))
>>

>> starting emacs22 or 23 and displaying M-x org-version I get:
>>
>> Org-mode version 6.35trans (release_6.35g.207.g7f085)
>>
>> so indeed the version from the local directory.
>>
>> when I take a document with the following preamble:
>>
>> #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
>> #+TITLE:     present.org
>> #+AUTHOR:    Erik
>> #+EMAIL:     erik@eddie
>> #+DATE:      2010-04-08 Thu
>> #+KEYWORDS:
>> #+LANGUAGE:  en
>> in-toc
>> #+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0
>> path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
>> #+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
>> #+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
>> #+LINK_UP:
>> #+LINK_HOME:
>>
>> and export this to latex I get the following:
>>

>> \documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{article}

[ something deleted ]

>> \end{document}
>>
>> so despite the #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer, the document gets exported as
>> 'article'. Even worse, when I try to export the same document again
>> afterwards, I get a:
>> No definition for class `beamer' in `org-export-latex-classes'
>>
>> error.
>>
>> When I issue a 'reload-org-uncompiled' directly after starting emacs,
>> this behavior does not occur.
>>
>> In this case I get, as expected:
>>
>> \documentclass{beamer}

[ something deleted ]

@ 2010-05-13  5:21     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-13  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Klein; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 1, 2010, at 2:46 PM, Robert Klein wrote:

> Eric,
>
> where in your .emacs is the (require 'org-install) command?
>
> In one of my setups I had it before the load-paths.
>
> I didn't notice, because of an older version of org-mode
> bundled with emacs; org-version reports the new version
> but that is not what my emacs used in exporting.
>

> Carsten,
>
> is there a reason why the manual says I should do the 'make'
> after it talks about load-path but before it tells me to put
> (require 'org-install) into the .emacs-file?

Only because is tries to present installation from activation.
Everybody has to activate, people who use the version delivered with
Emacs
do not have to install.

Does that answer your question?

- Carsten

> I should know better, but I still managed to confuse one of
> my .emacs-files when I started using org-mode.
>
> Best regards
> Robert
>

> On Sat, 01 May 2010 13:57:17 +0200, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> I think this could mean two things.  Most likely org is loading
>> some other version of org-latex.el.  One way to find out is to run
>> M-x list-load-path-shadows.
>>
>> Another possibility is that you have somewhere a configuration
>> setting of org-export-latex-classes that is old and does not
>> contain the beamer class definition, and somehow that setting is
>> loaded before org-latex.el is loaded.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> - Carsten
>>
>> On Apr 30, 2010, at 7:01 PM, Erik Butz wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have the following problem:
>>>
>>> I have set up my emacs so as to use org-mode uncompiled from a
>>> local directory
>>>
>>> # from .emacs
>>> (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp" load-path))
>>> (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/org-mode/contrib/lisp" load-path))
>>>

>>> starting emacs22 or 23 and displaying M-x org-version I get:
>>>
>>> Org-mode version 6.35trans (release_6.35g.207.g7f085)
>>>
>>> so indeed the version from the local directory.
>>>
>>> when I take a document with the following preamble:
>>>
>>> #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
>>> #+TITLE:     present.org
>>> #+AUTHOR:    Erik
>>> #+EMAIL:     erik@eddie
>>> #+DATE:      2010-04-08 Thu
>>> #+KEYWORDS:
>>> #+LANGUAGE:  en
>>> tags:not-in-toc
>>> #+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0
>>> path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
>>> #+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
>>> #+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
>>> #+LINK_UP:
>>> #+LINK_HOME:
>>>
>>> and export this to latex I get the following:
>>>

>>> \documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{article}
>
> [ something deleted ]
>

>>> \end{document}
>>>
>>> so despite the #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer, the document gets exported as
>>> 'article'. Even worse, when I try to export the same document again
>>> afterwards, I get a:
>>> No definition for class `beamer' in `org-export-latex-classes'
>>>
>>> error.
>>>
>>> When I issue a 'reload-org-uncompiled' directly after starting
>>> emacs,
>>> this behavior does not occur.
>>>
>>> In this case I get, as expected:
>>>
>>> \documentclass{beamer}
>
> [ something deleted ]
>
>>> \end{document}
>>>

>>> any hints appreciated on how this behavior comes about.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Erik

>> - Carsten

- Carsten