* "No link found" for <return> after <2016-02-21 Sun>
       [not found] <145605054310.31999.11792052402300266373.reportbug@garlic.spices>
@ 2016-02-23 22:13 ` Josef Atmin
From: Josef Atmin @ 2016-02-23 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

the maintainer of the Debian org-mode package referred me to this list for my bug report.

Best regards, Josef.

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 11:29:03AM +0100, Josef Atmin wrote:
> Package: org-mode
> Version: 8.3.3-3
> Severity: normal
>
> Dear Maintainer,
>
> when the curser is at the end of the line directly after <2016-02-21 Sun>, i.e. there
> comes a newline right after the '>', then typing <return> results in the message "No link
> found".  I guess this is a bug.
>
> When I add a space between <2016-02-21 Sun> and the newline, then typing <return> when
> the curser sits on the space brings up agenda mode for that date.  I guess this is the
> intended behavior.
>
> I actually find both behaviors anoying and would much rather prefer if simply a newline
> is inserted when I type <return> AFTER <2016-02-21 Sun>.  Typing return on the
> <2016-02-21 Sun> should, of course, bring up agenda mode for that date.  The same applies
> to regular shell commands of the form [[shell...]] or [[file...]].  The problem is, that
> I quite often run into the situation that I want have a line break right after such a
> date and command, and each time I accidentally rund the command or date. So this is my
> wishlist part.
>
> I think this is a new feature you have added in one of the recent versions.  So I would
> strongly vote for reverting that.
>
> I use the following options, and I would like to keep them:
>
> ;; configure link behavior
> ; don't ask for confirmation when klicking on a shell link
> (setq org-confirm-shell-link-function nil)
> ; follow a link when pressing return on it
> (setq org-return-follows-link t)
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Josef.
>

> -- System Information:
> Debian Release: stretch/sid
>   APT prefers unstable
>   APT policy: (500, 'unstable'), (500, 'testing'), (500, 'stable')
> Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
> Foreign Architectures: i386
>
> Kernel: Linux 4.3.0-1-amd64 (SMP w/4 CPU cores)
> Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
> Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
> Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)
>
> Versions of packages org-mode depends on:
> ii  emacs24         24.5+1-6+b1
> ii  emacsen-common  2.0.8
>
> Versions of packages org-mode recommends:
> ii  texlive-generic-recommended  2015.20160215-1
> ii  texlive-latex-recommended    2015.20160215-1
>
> Versions of packages org-mode suggests:
> pn  ditaa                      <none>
> ii  texlive-fonts-recommended  2015.20160215-1
> ii  texlive-latex-extra        2015.20160117-1
>
> -- no debconf information

* Re: "No link found" for <return> after <2016-02-21 Sun>
@ 2016-02-23 22:34   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-02-23 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Atmin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Josef Atmin <jatmin@web.de> writes:

>> when the curser is at the end of the line directly after <2016-02-21 Sun>, i.e. there
>> comes a newline right after the '>', then typing <return> results in the message "No link
>> found".  I guess this is a bug.

This is fixed in development version already (commit
a87c34cb8d58e7019c8d081c02bbac9e93cef8ab).

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: "No link found" for <return> after <2016-02-21 Sun>
@ 2016-02-24  7:05     ` Josef Atmin
From: Josef Atmin @ 2016-02-24  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou

Dear Nicolas!

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 11:34:21PM +0100, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Josef Atmin <jatmin@web.de> writes:
>
> >> when the curser is at the end of the line directly after <2016-02-21 Sun>, i.e. there
> >> comes a newline right after the '>', then typing <return> results in the message "No link
> >> found".  I guess this is a bug.
>
> This is fixed in development version already (commit
> a87c34cb8d58e7019c8d081c02bbac9e93cef8ab).

Thanks for letting me know.  I guess it will make it to the unstable release soon.

So there remains my wishlist item, namely that typing <return> after a
link results in a newline rather than activation of the link.  I would
find it much better if only a <return> on the link would activate it,
because I am often in the situation where I am at the end of a line
and I want to insert a newline, but because there is a link at the end
of the line right before the curser (not at the cursor), the link is
activated, which is mostly harmless but anoying.  To avoid that, I
have to either first tiype a <space> and then a <return> or first
Ctrl-o and then <right>.  But it is hard for me to always be aware of
the link and change my automatism of simply typing <return>.

I believe that this behavior has actually changed in one of the recent
versions.  Can anybody point me to the discussion in which this change
(to activating the link upon <return> if the curser is behind the
link) was decided, so that I can understand the arguments for this
behavior that I personally don't like.

Best wishes,

Josef.

* Re: "No link found" for <return> after <2016-02-21 Sun>
@ 2016-02-24 10:58       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-02-24 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Atmin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Josef Atmin <jatmin@web.de> writes:

> So there remains my wishlist item, namely that typing <return> after a
> link results in a newline rather than activation of the link.  I would
> find it much better if only a <return> on the link would activate it,
> because I am often in the situation where I am at the end of a line
> and I want to insert a newline, but because there is a link at the end
> of the line right before the curser (not at the cursor), the link is
> activated, which is mostly harmless but anoying.  To avoid that, I
> have to either first tiype a <space> and then a <return> or first
> Ctrl-o and then <right>.  But it is hard for me to always be aware of
> the link and change my automatism of simply typing <return>.

AFAIR, this was also fixed in the same commit.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: "No link found" for <return> after <2016-02-21 Sun>
@ 2016-02-24 12:09         ` Josef Atmin
From: Josef Atmin @ 2016-02-24 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Nicolas,

that would be great.  Thanks for letting me know.

Josef.