* automatic scheduling of next task in project
@ 2014-02-27 11:04 Peter Rayner
From: Peter Rayner @ 2014-02-27 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I would like org-mode to remind me automatically of the next task in a
project. Perhaps an example will help. I'll use outline headings to
show the levels of tasks

* Write trends paper
** global section
*** analyze GCP results
*** Calculate confidence intervals on trends
** Inverse Model section
*** Code to read inverse model output
*** Calculate regional Uncertainties
**** Generate new region groupings
**** Rerun calculation

etc etc
I can flatten this list into a list of TODO and I can store it as a
separate project that will be incorporated into the agenda view. What
I would like is that when I change one of these items to "done" the
next one is automatically scheduled into the agenda. It means I can
plan the workflow for a project then not have to bother remembering
where I was up to ... guess who is doing too many things at once :-)
Is this already possible? If not, is it worth creating some kind of
file option so that, when a file is scanned for incorporation into the
agenda view, the first TODO item that isn't listed as done will be
listed in the agenda?
Thanks in advance
Peter

***

--
Support us in the OXFAM trailwalker as we try to walk 100km in 24
hours. <https://trailwalker.oxfam.org.au/team/home/15596>

Peter Rayner
room 343
School of Earth Sciences, University of Melbourne, 3010, Vic, Australia
tel: work: +61 (0)3 8344 9708; fax: +61 (0)3 8344 7761
mobile +61 402 752 379, skype: petermorag
mail-to: prayner@unimelb.edu.au

* Re: automatic scheduling of next task in project
@ 2014-03-06 13:15 ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-03-06 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Peter Rayner <peter.julien.rayner@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like org-mode to remind me automatically of the next task in a
> project. Perhaps an example will help. I'll use outline headings to
> show the levels of tasks

Auto-scheduling might be difficult.

In my workflows I am using dependencies with :BLOCKER: and settings
SCHEDULED dates roughly but on the aggressive side.

With (setq org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks t) I get them all on my
agenda. You just have to learn to visually ignore the dimmed tasks.
From time to time I re-check dimmed tasks for the reason why they
are dimmed/blocked to find dead-ends.

An additional/other approach would be the use of :TRIGGER:
chain-siblings(NEXT) in order to move the NEXT state from a finished
task to the next one.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: automatic scheduling of next task in project
@ 2014-03-06 14:13   ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2014-03-06 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> * Peter Rayner <peter.julien.rayner@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would like org-mode to remind me automatically of the next task in a
>> project. Perhaps an example will help. I'll use outline headings to
>> show the levels of tasks
>
> Auto-scheduling might be difficult.
>
> In my workflows I am using dependencies with :BLOCKER: and settings
> SCHEDULED dates roughly but on the aggressive side.
>
> With (setq org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks t) I get them all on my
> agenda. You just have to learn to visually ignore the dimmed tasks.
> From time to time I re-check dimmed tasks for the reason why they
> are dimmed/blocked to find dead-ends.

You can also set org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks to 'invisible, which will
remove blocked tasks entirely from the agenda. Then, you could add the
property ":ORDERED: t" to the heading and schedule them (for the diary
agenda) or mark them NEXT/TODO (for the todo list). This would cause
each event to appear on the agenda after the blocking task is marked
done.

> An additional/other approach would be the use of :TRIGGER:
> chain-siblings(NEXT) in order to move the NEXT state from a finished
> task to the next one.

Or, since the OP is using org-depend.el (in contrib), he could also use
:TRIGGER: chain-siblings-scheduled(NEXT).

Best,
Matt

* Re: automatic scheduling of next task in project
@ 2014-03-07  8:42     ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2014-03-07  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Karl Voit, news1142, org mode, peter.julien.rayner