* org-id-locations
@ 2009-11-27 22:16 Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-11-27 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

I've recently started using org-ids to find tasks in my org files and
org-mode is storing the ids and associated files in
~/.emacs.d/.org-id-locations.

Now I've modified or linked to locations on my laptop and on my
workstation and these files differ (both are modified differently) so I
need to do something magical to bring everything back in sync.

Manually merging the contents will be a bit of a pain since the order of
the entries are mixed up now.

Do bad things happen if I just delete or ignore syncing these files
between the laptop and workstation?

What's the right way to handle this?

Thanks,
Bernt

* Re: org-id-locations
@ 2009-11-27 23:01 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-27 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode

Hi Bernt,

M-x org-id-update-id-locations RET

should do the trick.  This only thin that can go wrong that it will
miss a file.

It scans:

- agenda files and archives
- the files in org-id-extra-files
- all the files that are currently in the id list
- any live buffers visiting an org-mode file

So in case of doubt, load in all org-files and run the command.

This command will also run automatically if an id cannot be found -
assuming that something has been moved behind org's back - which is
just your case.

HTH

- Carsten

On Nov 27, 2009, at 11:16 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> I've recently started using org-ids to find tasks in my org files and
> org-mode is storing the ids and associated files in
> ~/.emacs.d/.org-id-locations.
>
> Now I've modified or linked to locations on my laptop and on my
> workstation and these files differ (both are modified differently)
> so I
> need to do something magical to bring everything back in sync.
>
> Manually merging the contents will be a bit of a pain since the
> order of
> the entries are mixed up now.
>
> Do bad things happen if I just delete or ignore syncing these files
> between the laptop and workstation?
>
> What's the right way to handle this?
>
> Thanks,
> Bernt

- Carsten

* Re: org-id-locations
@ 2009-11-27 23:02 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-27 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode

On Nov 27, 2009, at 11:16 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> I've recently started using org-ids to find tasks in my org files and
> org-mode is storing the ids and associated files in
> ~/.emacs.d/.org-id-locations.
>
> Now I've modified or linked to locations on my laptop and on my
> workstation and these files differ (both are modified differently)
> so I
> need to do something magical to bring everything back in sync.
>
> Manually merging the contents will be a bit of a pain since the
> order of
> the entries are mixed up now.
>
> Do bad things happen if I just delete or ignore syncing these files
> between the laptop and workstation?

Yes, do not sync them, this will be best.

- Carsten

> What's the right way to handle this?
>
> Thanks,
> Bernt