* Recent export bug?
@ 2010-05-10 23:38 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-05-10 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aloha all,

The following minimal example doesn't export the Second heading to
html.  The problem seems to be the :export: tag on the First heading.
If I remove the tag, then both the First and Second headings make it
into the export.  I don't expect the :export: tag on the First heading
to stop export of the Second heading.

I found this behavior when I tried unsuccessfully to export an org
file that successfully exported last on April 6th.  I don't believe
I've changed any html export settings in the meantime.

---------------
*
Setup
                                                             :noexport:
#+TITLE:     export-tag.org
#+AUTHOR:    Tom Dye
#+EMAIL:     tsd@tsdye2.com
#+DATE:      2010-05-10 Mon
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en
toc
#+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0 path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
#+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+LINK_UP:
#+LINK_HOME:

*
First
                                                               :export:
Some First text

* Second
  Some Second text
---------------

I tried to run git bisect, but if I go far enough back in time then I
run up against this:
eval-buffer: Symbol's function definition is void: org-overlay-put

This leaves me way over my head, but I did want you to know that I
worked a bit to isolate the problem and did my best to track it down
without success.

All the best,
Tom

* Re: Recent export bug?
@ 2010-05-11  0:13 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-05-11  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> Aloha all,
>
> The following minimal example doesn't export the Second heading to
> html.  The problem seems to be the :export: tag on the First heading.
> If I remove the tag, then both the First and Second headings make it
> into the export.  I don't expect the :export: tag on the First heading
> to stop export of the Second heading.

Hi Thomas,

If you use #+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS then only headings with that tag are
exported (if any headings contain that tag the rest are removed).  I
don't think you can use both EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS and EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS
in the same org-mode document in a meaningful way.

Normally you exclude stuff with only EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS or you include
stuff only with EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS.

,----
| org-export-select-tags is a variable defined in `org-exp.el'.         |
| Its value is ("export")                                               |
| Documentation:                                                        |
| Tags that select a tree for export.                                   |
| If any such tag is found in a buffer, all trees that do not carry one |
| of these tags will be deleted before export.                          |
| Inside trees that are selected like this, you can still deselect a    |
| subtree by tagging it with one of the `org-export-exclude-tags'.      |
`----

,----
| org-export-exclude-tags is a variable defined in `org-exp.el'.
| Its value is ("noexport")
|
| Documentation:
| Tags that exclude a tree from export.
| All trees carrying any of these tags will be excluded from export.
| This is without condition, so even subtrees inside that carry one of the
| `org-export-select-tags' will be removed.
`----

Regards,
Bernt

> I found this behavior when I tried unsuccessfully to export an org
> file that successfully exported last on April 6th.  I don't believe
> I've changed any html export settings in the meantime.
>

> ---------------
> *  Setup
> :noexport:
> #+TITLE:     export-tag.org
> #+AUTHOR:    Tom Dye
> #+EMAIL:     tsd@tsdye2.com
> #+DATE:      2010-05-10 Mon
> #+KEYWORDS:
> #+LANGUAGE:  en
> tags:not-in-
> toc
> #+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0 path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
> #+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
> #+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
> #+LINK_UP:
> #+LINK_HOME:
>
> *  First
> :export:
> Some First text
>
> * Second
>  Some Second text
> ---------------
>
> I tried to run git bisect, but if I go far enough back in time then I
> run up against this:
> eval-buffer: Symbol's function definition is void: org-overlay-put
>
> This leaves me way over my head, but I did want you to know that I
> worked a bit to isolate the problem and did my best to track it down
> without success.
>
> All the best,
> Tom

* Re: Recent export bug?
@ 2010-05-11  0:57   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-05-11  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 10, 2010, at 2:13 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:
>
>> Aloha all,
>>
>> The following minimal example doesn't export the Second heading to
>> html.  The problem seems to be the :export: tag on the First heading.
>> If I remove the tag, then both the First and Second headings make it
>> into the export.  I don't expect the :export: tag on the First
>> heading
>> to stop export of the Second heading.
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> If you use #+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS then only headings with that tag are
> exported (if any headings contain that tag the rest are removed).  I
> don't think you can use both EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS and
> EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS
> in the same org-mode document in a meaningful way.
>
> Normally you exclude stuff with only EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS or you
> include
> stuff only with EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS.
>
> ,----
> | org-export-select-tags is a variable defined in `org-
> exp.el'.         |
> | Its value is
> ("export")                                               |

> Documentation
> :                                                        |
> | Tags that select a tree for
> export.                                   |
> | If any such tag is found in a buffer, all trees that do not carry
> one |
> | of these tags will be deleted before
> export.                          |
> | Inside trees that are selected like this, you can still deselect
> a    |
> | subtree by tagging it with one of the `org-export-exclude-
> tags'.      |
> `----
>
> ,----
> | org-export-exclude-tags is a variable defined in `org-exp.el'.
> | Its value is ("noexport")
> |
> | Documentation:
> | Tags that exclude a tree from export.
> | All trees carrying any of these tags will be excluded from export.
> | This is without condition, so even subtrees inside that carry one
> of the
> | `org-export-select-tags' will be removed.
> `----
>
> Regards,
> Bernt

Thanks Bernt,

I guess the bug was that I was able to mix these before with good
effect.  I'm happy to report that bug is fixed now. :)

All the best,
Tom