* Help with fixing an org-mode multicolumn implementation - LaTeX special characters
@ 2016-02-21 10:28 mcg
From: mcg @ 2016-02-21 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I found a very nice implementation of LaTeX multicolumn functionality in
this thread:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-02/msg00736.html
("using export filters to emulate multi-column table cells?")

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports none
(defun my-latex-multicolumn-filter (row backend info)
   (when (org-export-derived-backend-p backend 'latex)
     (while (string-match
"\\(<\\([0-9]+\\)col\\([lrc]\\)?>[[:blank:]]*\\([^&]+\\)\\)" row)
       (let ((columns (string-to-number (match-string 2 row)))
             (start (match-end 0))
             (contents (replace-regexp-in-string "[[:blank:]]*$" ""
(match-string 4 row)))
             (algn (or (match-string 3 row) "l")))
         (setq row (replace-match
                    (format "\\\\multicolumn{%d}{%s}{%s}" columns algn
contents)
nil nil row 1))
         (while (and (> columns 1) (string-match "&" row start))
           (setq row (replace-match "" nil nil row))
           (decf columns))))
     row))
(add-to-list 'org-export-filter-table-row-functions
'my-latex-multicolumn-filter)
#+end_src

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{multirow}

You have to put the number of columns to span and a r / l / c option for
column alignment (<2colc>) and the column contents afterwards. Nice!

#+CAPTION: Example table
| Characters not working        | <2colc> Characters working: ! " § . ,
* + ? % |                  |
|-------------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+------------------|
| ^ % _ { } $                   | The header above is
merged                    | over two columns |
| /italics/ *bold* _underline_
|                                               |                  |
| any, \LaTeX special character
|                                               |                  |
| or expression requiring \
|                                               |                  |

However, using any of the characters of the left column of my example
table in the merged <2colc> column, I get:
"setq: Invalid use of `\' in replacement text"

Questions:
- How to escape the special characters in the left column properly to be
able to use them? (tried everything I could think of)
or
- How to modify the code above so that it allows for such characters.

- If anyone likes the implementation and is more capable than I am, then
the same for multirow would be really nice...

Comment: whoever read some of my questions recently will notice that I
excessively use org-mode as a LaTeX frontend.  I am aware that this is
not what it is supposed to be in the first place - but it works so
perfect 99 % of the time, so I cannot keep from asking...

* Re: Help with fixing an org-mode multicolumn implementation - LaTeX special characters
@ 2016-02-22 15:48 ` Aaron Ecay
From: Aaron Ecay @ 2016-02-22 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mcg, emacs-orgmode

Hi mcg,

2016ko otsailak 21an, mcg-ek idatzi zuen:

> I found a very nice implementation of LaTeX multicolumn functionality in
> this thread:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-02/msg00736.html

[...]

> However, using any of the characters of the left column of my example
> table in the merged <2colc> column, I get:
> "setq: Invalid use of `\' in replacement text"

I think the function should be written (untested):

(defun my-latex-multicolumn-filter (row backend info)
  (when (org-export-derived-backend-p backend 'latex)
    (while (string-match "\\(<\\([0-9]+\\)col\\([lrc]\\)?>[[:blank:]]*\\([^&]+\\)\\)" row)
      (let ((columns (string-to-number (match-string 2 row)))
            (start (match-end 0))
            (contents (replace-regexp-in-string "[[:blank:]]*$" "" (match-string 4 row)))
            (algn (or (match-string 3 row) "l")))
        (setq row (replace-match
                   (format "\\multicolumn{%d}{%s}{%s}" columns algn contents)
                   nil t row 1))
        (while (and (> columns 1) (string-match "&" row start))
          (setq row (replace-match "" nil nil row))
          (decf columns))))
    row))

The change is setting the third argument (‘literal’) to ‘replace-match’
to t, and deleting an extra backslash in the "\\multicolumn..." string.

> Questions:
> - How to escape the special characters in the left column properly to be
> able to use them? (tried everything I could think of)
> or
> - How to modify the code above so that it allows for such characters.
>
> - If anyone likes the implementation and is more capable than I am, then
> the same for multirow would be really nice...

Unfortunately I think that’s more complicated, since it would necessitate
examining/modifying the whole table in one go, rather than operating one
row at a time.

--
Aaron Ecay

* Re: Help with fixing an org-mode multicolumn implementation - LaTeX special characters
@ 2016-02-25 11:33   ` mcg
From: mcg @ 2016-02-25 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Aaron,
[I noticed I did not answer to the list; just writing again to add it to
the list]

this fix works perfect!  Thank you very much.
Never mind about multirow...

Michael