* how to include time when setting deadlines?
@ 2010-07-12  9:03 Michael Gilbert
From: Michael Gilbert @ 2010-07-12  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi —

I understand the time format in orgmode, but something is eluding me. Many of my projects have specific times for deadlines (that is to say, time of day on the date due). I can't see how to enter that other than by hand. When I type C-c C-d, I get the wonderful date prompt system. But I have not been able to discover how to get that to prompt me for the time or to include a time, like it includes month and day, etc. I've spent some time with the manual and searching the archives, but my search skills haven't prevailed. Any advice?

TIA

— Michael

* Re: how to include time when setting deadlines?
@ 2010-07-12  9:13 ` Puneeth
From: Puneeth @ 2010-07-12  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Michael Gilbert <mcg@gilbert.org> wrote:
> Hi —
>
> I understand the time format in orgmode, but something is eluding me. Many of my projects have specific times for deadlines (that is to say, time of day on the date due). I can't see how to enter that other than by hand. When I type C-c C-d, I get the wonderful date prompt system. But I have not been able to discover how to get that to prompt me for the time or to include a time, like it includes month and day, etc. I've spent some time with the manual and searching the archives, but my search skills haven't prevailed. Any advice?

What you get is really a date time prompt and not just a date prompt.
You could enter date in any of the ways given in the org-manual [1].

There is just one example on how to enter the time, given in the manual
     22 sept 0:34  --> 2006-09-22 0:34

But, entering time this way works with whatever format you use for
entering the date. Enter the date and then enter time with a space
separating the date and time.

HTH,
Puneeth

[1] http://orgmode.org/manual/The-date_002ftime-prompt.html#The-date_002ftime-prompt

* Re: how to include time when setting deadlines?
@ 2010-07-12 11:18   ` Michael Gilbert
From: Michael Gilbert @ 2010-07-12 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I understand the time format in orgmode, but something is eluding me. Many of my projects have specific times for deadlines (that is to say, time of day on the date due). I can't see how to enter that other than by hand. When I type C-c C-d, I get the wonderful date prompt system. But I have not been able to discover how to get that to prompt me for the time or to include a time, like it includes month and day, etc. I've spent some time with the manual and searching the archives, but my search skills haven't prevailed. Any advice?
>
> What you get is really a date time prompt and not just a date prompt.
> You could enter date in any of the ways given in the org-manual [1].
>
> There is just one example on how to enter the time, given in the manual
>     22 sept 0:34  --> 2006-09-22 0:34
>
> But, entering time this way works with whatever format you use for
> entering the date. Enter the date and then enter time with a space
> separating the date and time.

That part I understand. Here is my habit: I type C-c Cd and then use the SHIFT-arrow key in the minibuffer to select the date. I see that I can type in one of many strings that would give me the date and time, but I was looking for something equally simple. Not that entering the date + time string in one format or another isn't also simple.

Playing with that a bit, I just discovered that I can still select the DATE in that manner in the minibuffer and if I then just type in the time in place, I get the fully formed DATE+TIME deadline. That works. I think I was naively assuming there was a similar navigation shortcut for the TIME component.

Thank you!

— Michael