* Exporting to HTML opens resulting file
@ 2010-04-08  8:11 Gary .
From: Gary . @ 2010-04-08  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It seems that when I export to HTML, something, somewhere, opens the
file so I have yet another buffer open. Is there any way to configure
that behaviour so that I don't get even more swamped by buffers than I
am already, or alternatively automatically name the buffer with
something that I can instruct ido to ignore (setq ido-ignore-buffers
...)? Using org-mode 6.21b in emacs 23.1 if it makes any difference.

* Re: Exporting to HTML opens resulting file
@ 2010-04-08 13:34 ` Xin Shi
From: Xin Shi @ 2010-04-08 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary .; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I had a similar request before but never get solved. I support this request.

@ 2010-04-08 13:54   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-08 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Shi; +Cc: Gary ., emacs-orgmode

On Apr 8, 2010, at 3:34 PM, Xin Shi wrote:

> I had a similar request before but never get solved. I support this
> request.

(setq org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed t)

will do this when the exported file is shown immediately, so
the buffer will be removed during `C-c C-e b', but not during `C-c C-e
h'

I guess we could have a variable that always removes the buffer.....

- Carsten

@ 2010-04-08 14:22     ` Gary .
From: Gary . @ 2010-04-08 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2010, at 3:34 PM, Xin Shi wrote:
>
>> I had a similar request before but never get solved. I support this
>> request.
>
> (setq org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed t)
>
> will do this when the exported file is shown immediately, so
> the buffer will be removed during `C-c C-e b',

Aha!

Err... what exactly does "browse immediately" mean? I am guessing it
uses the browse-url-browser-function to open the produced page in a
browser? In my case that points to Firefox, and indeed I can `C-c C-o'
on a link in a .org file and it opens nicely. Nothing browser-like
happens if I `C-c C-e b', however...

> but not during `C-c C-e h'
>
> I guess we could have a variable that always removes the buffer.....

*choke*

Well, not for me. I mean, I *do* want to export and then look at the
result, hence I don't want the "product buffer" open as well. I just
wasn't aware of this connection between "browse immediately" and
killing the product buffer. It doesn't seem that
org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed exists in the version I
have, however :-(

* Re: Exporting to HTML opens resulting file
@ 2010-04-08 15:44       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-08 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary .; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Gary,

maybe we need to settle some terminology first.

When Org-mode exports, is is actually producing the product in a
buffer.  So the buffer is there first.  When it is complete, the
buffer is written to a file, but stays in Emacs - so we now have a
buffer visiting the file on the disk.

So if you are exporting in order to produce the file, you may not want
to keep the buffer.  That is a perfectly reasonable request.  Of
course, sometimes you might want to look at the buffer - in that case
you'd want to keep it.

So there is no general solution for this.

The variable org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed has the
following effect: Some export commands do not only produce the export
file, but immediately display it with an appropriate viewer.  For
example, `C-c C-e b' should open your browser.
And `C-c C-e d' should produce a PDF file and open it with a PDF
viewer (not sure if this did work in the quite old version of Org-mode
you have).
If immediate opening does not work, something funny if going on.  This
should work.

HTH

- Carsten

On Apr 8, 2010, at 4:22 PM, Gary . wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 8, 2010, at 3:34 PM, Xin Shi wrote:
>>
>>> I had a similar request before but never get solved. I support this
>>> request.
>>
>> (setq org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed t)
>>
>> will do this when the exported file is shown immediately, so
>> the buffer will be removed during `C-c C-e b',
>
> Aha!
>
> Err... what exactly does "browse immediately" mean? I am guessing it
> uses the browse-url-browser-function to open the produced page in a
> browser? In my case that points to Firefox, and indeed I can `C-c C-o'
> on a link in a .org file and it opens nicely. Nothing browser-like
> happens if I `C-c C-e b', however...
>
>> but not during `C-c C-e h'
>>
>> I guess we could have a variable that always removes the buffer.....
>
> *choke*
>
> Well, not for me. I mean, I *do* want to export and then look at the
> result, hence I don't want the "product buffer" open as well. I just
> wasn't aware of this connection between "browse immediately" and
> killing the product buffer. It doesn't seem that
> org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed exists in the version I
> have, however :-(

- Carsten

* Re: Exporting to HTML opens resulting file
@ 2010-04-08 18:23     ` Xin Shi
From: Xin Shi @ 2010-04-08 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Gary ., emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

I've tried to set:
(setq org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed t)

But when I use "org-export-as-html" to export HTML, I can still see the
.html buffer. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
Xin

@ 2010-04-08 19:19       ` Livin Stephen Sharma
From: Livin Stephen Sharma @ 2010-04-08 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Shi; +Cc: Gary ., emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Xin, from your email I couldn't determine the org-version you're using.
I believe a /recent/ version would be required for this variable to work.

I'm using the nightly build ""6.34trans"" dated  "2010_02_25"; I find
things to work fine
- .html buffer does not linger around with
C-e C-x b

* Re: Exporting to HTML opens resulting file
@ 2010-04-08 20:55       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-08 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Shi; +Cc: Gary ., emacs-orgmode

On Apr 8, 2010, at 8:23 PM, Xin Shi wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> I've tried to set:
> (setq org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed t)
>
> But when I use "org-export-as-html" to export HTML, I can still see
> the .html buffer. Am I missing something here?

Yes, you are not reading what I write :-)

Try org-export-as-html-and-open.

- Carsten

> Thanks!
> Xin
>
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> On Apr 8, 2010, at 3:34 PM, Xin Shi wrote:
>
> I had a similar request before but never get solved. I support this
> request.
>
> (setq org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed t)
>
> will do this when the exported file is shown immediately, so
> the buffer will be removed during `C-c C-e b', but not during `C-c C-
> e h'
>
> I guess we could have a variable that always removes the buffer.....
>
> - Carsten
>

> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 4:11 AM, Gary . <emacs-
> orgmode@garydjones.name> wrote:
> It seems that when I export to HTML, something, somewhere, opens the
> file so I have yet another buffer open. Is there any way to configure
> that behaviour so that I don't get even more swamped by buffers than I
> am already, or alternatively automatically name the buffer with
> something that I can instruct ido to ignore (setq ido-ignore-buffers
> ...)? Using org-mode 6.21b in emacs 23.1 if it makes any difference.

> - Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: Exporting to HTML opens resulting file
@ 2010-04-09  9:49         ` Gary .
From: Gary . @ 2010-04-09  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> maybe we need to settle some terminology first.

No, "we're good" as the Americans say :)

> The variable org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed has the following
> effect:

Well, as I said, org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed appears
to be unknown here.
"Describe variable: org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed [No match]"

> Some export commands do not only produce the export file, but
> immediately display it with an appropriate viewer.  For example, `C-c C-e b'
> should open your browser.

Right. And neither that, not `M-x org-export-as-html-and-open' work
(or at least, they only work the same as the non-browse commands:
output is produced, but no browser is opened). There's no indication
of errors or problems in the *Messages* buffer either:
Debug on Error enabled globally
Exporting... [3 times]
Saving file /home/jg/.Org/work.html...
Wrote /home/jg/.Org/work.html
Exporting... done

* Re: Exporting to HTML opens resulting file
@ 2010-04-09 12:23           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-09 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary .; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 9, 2010, at 11:49 AM, Gary . wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> maybe we need to settle some terminology first.
>
> No, "we're good" as the Americans say :)
>
>> The variable org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed has the
>> following
>> effect:
>
> Well, as I said, org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed appears
> to be unknown here.
> "Describe variable: org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed
> [No match]"
>
>> Some export commands do not only produce the export file, but
>> immediately display it with an appropriate viewer.  For example, `C-
>> c C-e b'
>> should open your browser.
>
> Right. And neither that, not `M-x org-export-as-html-and-open' work
> (or at least, they only work the same as the non-browse commands:
> output is produced, but no browser is opened). There's no indication
> of errors or problems in the *Messages* buffer either:
> Debug on Error enabled globally
> Exporting... [3 times]
> Saving file /home/jg/.Org/work.html...
> Wrote /home/jg/.Org/work.html
> Exporting... done

Strange.

Only one way to find out, by debugging the function and watch why the
file opening does not work  Nothing I can do from here without a
Backtrace or error message of some sort.

- Carsten

- Carsten