* Link question
@ 2008-05-21 17:57 Shaun Johnson
From: Shaun Johnson @ 2008-05-21 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I'm a light user of Orgmode so the following might not be sensible or there might
be some existing way to achieve the same effect.

I have an Org file like:

* Glossary
** Address
* Implementation
** Address

What I would like is to have distinct links to the two 'Address' headlines. I can't
see a way to this with the standard link types. A possible solution would be to introduce
a 'path based' link type where the two 'Address' headlines have distinct paths through the
outline tree of ("Glossary" "Address") and ("Implementation" "Address").

Does this make sense or am I gibbering?

If it does make sense then my Elisp skills are probably up to implementing this.

Thanks in advance,

Shaun.

* Re: Link question
@ 2008-05-22  5:34 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-05-22  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shaun Johnson; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Shaun,

I think this would indeed make sense.  I guess it should
use "/" as a separator, and it should ideally ignore TODO keywords,
priority cookies, and tags.

Please go ahead and give it a try - to include it into Org you would
have
to sin the papers with the FSF.

Best wishes

- Carsten

On May 21, 2008, at 7:57 PM, Shaun Johnson wrote:

> I'm a light user of Orgmode so the following might not be sensible
> or there might
> be some existing way to achieve the same effect.
>
> I have an Org file like:
>
> * Glossary
> ** Address
> * Implementation
> ** Address
>
> What I would like is to have distinct links to the two 'Address'
> headlines. I can't
> see a way to this with the standard link types. A possible solution
> would be to introduce
> a 'path based' link type where the two 'Address' headlines have
> distinct paths through the
> outline tree of ("Glossary" "Address") and ("Implementation"
> "Address").
>
> Does this make sense or am I gibbering?
>
> If it does make sense then my Elisp skills are probably up to
> implementing this.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Shaun.

* Re: Link question
@ 2008-05-22  8:14   ` Shaun Johnson
From: Shaun Johnson @ 2008-05-22  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

Carsten,

Ok, I will add this to my todo list - I might find time to start on it
this weekend.

How do I start the process of signing papers for the FSF.

Shaun.

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi Shaun,
>
> I think this would indeed make sense.  I guess it should
> use "/" as a separator, and it should ideally ignore TODO keywords,
> priority cookies, and tags.
>
> Please go ahead and give it a try - to include it into Org you would have
> to sin the papers with the FSF.
>
> Best wishes
>
> - Carsten
>
> On May 21, 2008, at 7:57 PM, Shaun Johnson wrote:
>
>> I'm a light user of Orgmode so the following might not be sensible or
>> there might
>> be some existing way to achieve the same effect.
>>
>> I have an Org file like:
>>
>> * Glossary
>> ** Address
>> * Implementation
>> ** Address
>>
>> What I would like is to have distinct links to the two 'Address'
>> headlines. I can't
>> see a way to this with the standard link types. A possible solution
>> would be to introduce
>> a 'path based' link type where the two 'Address' headlines have
>> distinct paths through the
>> outline tree of ("Glossary" "Address") and ("Implementation" "Address").
>>
>> Does this make sense or am I gibbering?
>>
>> If it does make sense then my Elisp skills are probably up to
>> implementing this.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Shaun.

* Re: Link question