* Inline code syntax highlighting
@ 2016-02-21 15:11 meditans
From: meditans @ 2016-02-21 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I'm writing some Haskell code in a .org blog post which I will export to
HTML using org-publish . I'd like to inline some haskell code in the text,
and I can do that either using the marker ~...~ or the explicit block
src_haskell[exports: code]{...} . I'd like to have the notational
convenience of the former while retaining the syntax highlighting the
latter provides. Here it is what I tried:

1 Tweaking the variable org-html-text-markup-alist

in particular the code correspondence, which by default is
<code>%s</code> . This, while easy, doesn't get me syntax highlighting, and
so it's not sufficiently good for my purposes.

2 Using org-export-before-processing-hook

to do some preprocessing, like:

(defun convert-code (backend)
   "Changes the code marked with =...= to code marked with
src_haskell[:exports code]{...}"
   (replace-regexp "~\\([^~]+?\\)~" "src_haskell[:exports code]{\\1}"))

(add-hook 'org-export-before-processing-hook 'convert-code)

Unfortunately, this use of regexp feels hacky, messes up the formatting
when I try to have some haskell code as the text for a link (for the
presence of ] ), and gets exported as:

<code class="src src-haskell"><span style="color: #ba2f59; font-weight:
bold;">stuff</span>
</code>

with a newline before </code> , which is read as an (unwanted) space in
HTML.

3 Creating a custom exporter

This should work, but I got stuck working on it (I just began learning
elisp). Here is a starting point, I'd appreciate some help:

(defun my-haskell-code (code contents info)
   "Changes the code marked with =...= to code marked with
src_haskell[:exports code]{...}"
   (format "%s" (org-element-normalize-string
(org-export-format-code-default code info))))

(org-export-define-derived-backend 'my-hask 'html
   :translate-alist '((code . my-haskell-code)))

In conclusion, do you have any tips on how to get syntax highlighting for
~...~ blocks?

Best regards

Carlo

Carlo

* Re: Inline code syntax highlighting
@ 2016-02-22  8:32 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-02-22  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meditans; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

meditans@gmail.com writes:

> In conclusion, do you have any tips on how to get syntax highlighting
> for ~...~ blocks?

You can use `org-export-filter-parse-tree' and replace all occurrences
of (code ...) into (inline-src-block ...) using a combination of
`org-element-map', and `org-element-set-element'.

Another option is indeed to create a new export back-end that replaces
code transcoder with a custom function, probably something ultimately
calling `org-html-inline-src-block', e.g.,

  (defun my-code-to-haskell (code contents info)
    (let ((haskell
           `(inline-src-block
             (:language "haskell" :value ,(org-element-property :value code)))))
      (org-html-inline-src-block haskell nil info)))

  (org-export-define-derived-backend 'haskell-html 'html
    :translate-alist '((code . my-code-to-haskell)))

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou