* Org mode release 6.04
@ 2008-05-25  7:31 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-05-25  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode Mode

Hi,

I am releasing Org 6.04, at http://orgmode.org

Enjoy!

- Carsten

Changes in version 6.04
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overview
========

- Statistics cookies [/] and [%] for TODO entries
- Editing source code example in the proper mode
- iCalendar now defines proper UIDs for entries
- New properties for customizing subtree export

Incompatible changes
====================

- The default of the variable `org-tags-match-list-sublevels' is
   now `t'.  The main reason for this is that it is easier to
   explain in the manual and will lead to fewer surprises.

- The former CONTRIB directory is now called "contrib".  This was
   already the case in the git distribution, but the tar and zip
   archives still did this wrong.

Details
=======

Statistics for TODO entries
---------------------------

The [/] and [%] cookies have already provided statistics for
checkboxes.  Now they do the same also for TODO entries.  If a
headline contains either cookie, changing the TODO state of any
direct child will trigger an update of this cookie.  Children
that are neither TODO nor DONE are ignored.

There have already been requests to automatically switch the
parent headline to DONE when all children are done.  I am not
making this a default feature, because one needs to make many
decisions about which keyword to use, etc.  Instead of a complex
customization variable, I am providing a hook that can be used.
This hook will be called each time a TODO statistics cookie is
updated, with the cursor in the corresponding line.  Each
function in the hook will receive two arguments, the number of
done entries, and the number of not-done entries, and you can use
the hook to change the state of the headline.  Here is an example
implementation:

  (defun org-summary-todo (n-done n-not-done)
    "Switch entry to DONE when all sub-entries are done, to TODO
otherwise."
    (let (org-log-done org-log-states)   ; turn off logging
      (org-todo (if (= n-not-done 0) "DONE" "TODO"))))

  (add-hook 'org-after-todo-statistics-hook 'org-summary-todo)

Editing source code example in the proper mode

If you are writing a document with source code examples, you can
include these examples into a `#+BEGIN_SRC lang ... #+END_SRC' or
(with the org-mtags module loaded) a `<src...' structure.  `lang'
stands for the Emacs mode used for editing the language, this
could be `emacs-lisp' for Emacs Lisp mode examples, or `org' for
Org mode examples.  You can now use the key "C-c '" (that is C-c
followed by the single quote) to edit the example in its native
mode.  This works by creating an indirect buffer, narrowing it to
the example and setting the appropriate mode.  You need to exit
editing by killing that indirect buffer, with `C-x k'.  This is
important, because lines that have syntactic meaning in Org will
be quoted when the indirect buffer is killed.

I guess it would be nice to exit with `C-c C-c', but who knows
what this key is supposed to do in a random mode.

iCalendar now defines proper UIDs for entries

This is necessary for synchronization services.  The UIDs are
created using the the org-id.el module which is now part of the
Or core.  If you set the variable

  (setq org-icalendar-store-UID t)

then all created UIDs will be stored in the entry as an `:ID:'
property.  This is off by default because it creates lots of
property drawers even if you only play with iCalendar export.
But if you plan to use synchronization, you really need to turn
this on.

Diary sexp entries do not yet receive proper persistent UIDs,
because they are transformed to iCalendar format by icalendar.el
which creates fresh UIDs each time, based on the current time.

An interesting aspect of Org is that a single outline node can
give rise to multiple iCalendar entries (as a timestamp, a
deadline, a scheduled item, and as a TODO item). Therefore, Org
adds prefixes "TS-", "DL-" "CS-", and "TD-" to the UID during
iCalendar export, depending on what triggered the inclusion of
the entry.  In this way the UID remains unique, but a
synchronization program can still figure out from which entry all
the different instances originate.

New properties for customizing subtree export.

When exporting a subtree by selecting it before calling the
export command, you can now use the properties `EXPORT_TITLE',
`EXPORT_TEXT', and `EXPORT_OPTIONS' to overrule the global
`#+TITLE', `#+TEXT', and `#+OPTIONS' settings.  You can also set
an export file name with `EXPORT_FILE_NAME' that will overrule
the file name derived from the buffer's file name.  As far as the
options are concerned, the global `#+OPTIONS' will still be read,
and only the options you give in the property will be
overwritten.  For example:

   * Computer Tricks
     :PROPERTIES:
     :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: ct.html
     :EXPORT_TITLE: Steve's collected computer tricks
     :EXPORT_OPTIONS: h:2 toc:nil
     :END:

* Re: Org mode release 6.04
@ 2008-05-25 12:41 ` Austin Frank
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Austin Frank @ 2008-05-25 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, May 25 2008, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Editing source code example in the proper mode
>
> If you are writing a document with source code examples, you can
> include these examples into a `#+BEGIN_SRC lang ... #+END_SRC' or
> (with the org-mtags module loaded) a `<src...' structure.  `lang'
> stands for the Emacs mode used for editing the language, this could be
> `emacs-lisp' for Emacs Lisp mode examples, or `org' for Org mode
> examples.  You can now use the key "C-c '" (that is C-c followed by
> the single quote) to edit the example in its native mode.  This works
> by creating an indirect buffer, narrowing it to the example and
> setting the appropriate mode.  You need to exit editing by killing
> that indirect buffer, with `C-x k'.  This is important, because lines
> that have syntactic meaning in Org will be quoted when the indirect
> buffer is killed.

Carsten--

This is a phenomenally exciting addition.  Combining this with the
htmlized code examples in html export, and the option for \LaTeX export,
org has clearly just vaulted past the rest of the field for literate
programming.  Expect a tutorial from me in the next few weeks about
using org with RWeave (the R variant of SWeave).  This will be a
fantastic way to write articles that include statistical analyses and
figures.

That said, don't be surprised if by opening this door you end up with
some new feature requests from me :)  One addition that I can already
see being interested in is the evaluation of embedded code before
export, so that the results of the code are included along with the
source.  Obviously, there are security issues here that will need to be
thought about, but I'd like to see if we could make this work.

Greedy feature requests aside, this is very, very cool.

> I guess it would be nice to exit with `C-c C-c', but who knows what
> this key is supposed to do in a random mode.

I can tell you now that C-c C-c is almost as overloaded in R-mode (from
the package ESS) as it is in org-mode, and I will want it to have its
R-mode interpretation while I edit R code.  While I'm writing, I'll try
to keep an eye out for sensible ways of jumping out of coding mode and
back to org-mode.

Thanks for this release!
/au

--
Austin Frank
http://aufrank.net

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 193 bytes --]

* Re: Org mode release 6.04
@ 2008-05-25 15:58 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2008-05-25 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-mode Mode

On 2008-05-25 08:31 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> iCalendar now defines proper UIDs for entries
>
> This is necessary for synchronization services.  The UIDs are
> created using the the org-id.el module which is now part of the
> Or core.  If you set the variable
>
>  (setq org-icalendar-store-UID t)
>
> then all created UIDs will be stored in the entry as an `:ID:'
> property.  This is off by default because it creates lots of
> property drawers even if you only play with iCalendar export.
> But if you plan to use synchronization, you really need to turn
> this on.

Nice to see advance in this front. I wonder whether it is possible to do
a direct synchronisation with google calendar using json.el. That would
be very interesting.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

        Use the better alternative -- http://www.openoffice.org/

* Re: Org mode release 6.04
@ 2008-05-25 21:57   ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2008-05-25 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, 25 May 2008 08:41:54 -0400
Austin Frank <austin.frank@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 25 2008, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
> > Editing source code example in the proper mode
> >
> > If you are writing a document with source code examples, you can
> > include these examples into a `#+BEGIN_SRC lang ... #+END_SRC' or
> > (with the org-mtags module loaded) a `<src...' structure.  `lang'
> > stands for the Emacs mode used for editing the language, this could
> > be `emacs-lisp' for Emacs Lisp mode examples, or `org' for Org mode
> > examples.  You can now use the key "C-c '" (that is C-c followed by
> > the single quote) to edit the example in its native mode.  This
> > works by creating an indirect buffer, narrowing it to the example
> > and setting the appropriate mode.  You need to exit editing by
> > killing that indirect buffer, with `C-x k'.  This is important,
> > because lines that have syntactic meaning in Org will be quoted
> > when the indirect buffer is killed.
>
> Carsten--
>
> This is a phenomenally exciting addition.  Combining this with the
> htmlized code examples in html export, and the option for \LaTeX
> export, org has clearly just vaulted past the rest of the field for
> literate programming.  Expect a tutorial from me in the next few
> weeks about using org with RWeave (the R variant of SWeave).  This
> will be a fantastic way to write articles that include statistical
> analyses and figures.
>
> That said, don't be surprised if by opening this door you end up with
> some new feature requests from me :)  One addition that I can already
> see being interested in is the evaluation of embedded code before
> export, so that the results of the code are included along with the
> source.  Obviously, there are security issues here that will need to
> be thought about, but I'd like to see if we could make this work.
>
> Greedy feature requests aside, this is very, very cool.
>
> > I guess it would be nice to exit with `C-c C-c', but who knows what
> > this key is supposed to do in a random mode.
>
> I can tell you now that C-c C-c is almost as overloaded in R-mode
> (from the package ESS) as it is in org-mode, and I will want it to
> have its R-mode interpretation while I edit R code.  While I'm
> writing, I'll try to keep an eye out for sensible ways of jumping out
> of coding mode and back to org-mode.
>
> Thanks for this release!
> /au

Jabber: shelagh.manton@gmail.com

* Re: Org mode release 6.04
@ 2008-05-26  7:43     ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2008-05-26  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 26 May 2008 07:57:22 +1000
Shelagh Manton <shelagh.manton@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 May 2008 08:41:54 -0400
> Austin Frank <austin.frank@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, May 25 2008, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> >
> > > Editing source code example in the proper mode
> > >
> > > If you are writing a document with source code examples, you can
> > > include these examples into a `#+BEGIN_SRC lang ... #+END_SRC' or
> > > (with the org-mtags module loaded) a `<src...' structure.  `lang'
> > > stands for the Emacs mode used for editing the language, this
> > > could be `emacs-lisp' for Emacs Lisp mode examples, or `org' for
> > > Org mode examples.  You can now use the key "C-c '" (that is C-c
> > > followed by the single quote) to edit the example in its native
> > > mode.  This works by creating an indirect buffer, narrowing it to
> > > the example and setting the appropriate mode.  You need to exit
> > > editing by killing that indirect buffer, with `C-x k'.  This is
> > > important, because lines that have syntactic meaning in Org will
> > > be quoted when the indirect buffer is killed.
> >
> > Carsten--
> >
> > This is a phenomenally exciting addition.  Combining this with the
> > htmlized code examples in html export, and the option for \LaTeX
> > export, org has clearly just vaulted past the rest of the field for
> > literate programming.  Expect a tutorial from me in the next few
> > weeks about using org with RWeave (the R variant of SWeave).  This
> > will be a fantastic way to write articles that include statistical
> > analyses and figures.
> >
> > That said, don't be surprised if by opening this door you end up
> > with some new feature requests from me :)  One addition that I can
> > already see being interested in is the evaluation of embedded code
> > before export, so that the results of the code are included along
> > with the source.  Obviously, there are security issues here that
> > will need to be thought about, but I'd like to see if we could make
> > this work.
> >
> > Greedy feature requests aside, this is very, very cool.
> >
> > > I guess it would be nice to exit with `C-c C-c', but who knows
> > > what this key is supposed to do in a random mode.
> >
> > I can tell you now that C-c C-c is almost as overloaded in R-mode
> > (from the package ESS) as it is in org-mode, and I will want it to
> > have its R-mode interpretation while I edit R code.  While I'm
> > writing, I'll try to keep an eye out for sensible ways of jumping
> > out of coding mode and back to org-mode.
Bother! I sent without putting in what I wanted to say. Maybe T. Cubitts
auto-overlay.el library might be helpful here. It is part of the
predictive package he puts out and it comes with a nice tutorial on how
to use it.

Shelagh

> > Thanks for this release!
> > /au

Jabber: shelagh.manton@gmail.com

* Re: Re: Org mode release 6.04
@ 2008-05-26 10:36       ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2008-05-26 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shelagh Manton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Bother! I sent without putting in what I wanted to say. Maybe T. Cubitts
> auto-overlay.el library might be helpful here. It is part of the
> predictive package he puts out and it comes with a nice tutorial on how
> to use it.

Also useful could be the many implementations for having multiple major modes in the same document, as used in nxhtml-mode for instance to do different font locking for PHP/CSS/JS bits in XHTML.
See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/MultipleModes

Daniel

* Re: Org mode release 6.04
@ 2008-05-26 10:44 ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2008-05-26 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-mode Mode

>   * Computer Tricks
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: ct.html
>     :EXPORT_TITLE: Steve's collected computer tricks
>     :EXPORT_OPTIONS: h:2 toc:nil
>     :END:

  This is a neat feature; thanks, Carsten! Now org will make possible to use a single .org file to hold several files, each one in one section. I find this very useful since I'm working with a lot of small files with lots of links among them. Having them in a single org file makes moving through them a lot easier.
  Could a single export command be used to go through the main file and export each section with to its particular output file?

  Thanks,

Daniel

* Re: Org mode release 6.04
@ 2008-05-27  6:26   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-05-27  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Clemente; +Cc: Org-mode Mode

Sure, this is really quite simple now (untested):

(defun org-publish-all-top-level-trees ()
   (interactive)
   (save-excursion
     (save-restriction
       (widen)
       (goto-char (point-min))
       (unless (outline-next-heading)
	(error "No headings in this file"))
       (while (not (eobp))
	(outline-mark-subtree)
	(org-export-as-html nil 'hidden)
	(condition-case nil
	    (outline-forward-same-level 1)
	  (error (goto-char (point-max)))))))

A better implementation would be to find headlines which have an
EXPORT_FILE_NAME property and export only those....

HTH

- Carsten

On May 26, 2008, at 12:44 PM, Daniel Clemente wrote:

>>  * Computer Tricks
>>    :PROPERTIES:
>>    :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: ct.html
>>    :EXPORT_TITLE: Steve's collected computer tricks
>>    :EXPORT_OPTIONS: h:2 toc:nil
>>    :END:
>>

>  This is a neat feature; thanks, Carsten! Now org will make possible
> to use a single .org file to hold several files, each one in one
> section. I find this very useful since I'm working with a lot of
> small files with lots of links among them. Having them in a single
> org file makes moving through them a lot easier.
>  Could a single export command be used to go through the main file
> and export each section with to its particular output file?
>

>  Thanks,
>
> Daniel

* Re: Re: Org mode release 6.04
@ 2008-05-27 22:00   ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2008-05-27 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 04:58:29PM +0100, Leo wrote:
> On 2008-05-25 08:31 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> > iCalendar now defines proper UIDs for entries
> >
> > This is necessary for synchronization services.  The UIDs are
> > created using the the org-id.el module which is now part of the
> > Or core.  If you set the variable
> >
> >  (setq org-icalendar-store-UID t)
> >
> > then all created UIDs will be stored in the entry as an `:ID:'
> > property.  This is off by default because it creates lots of
> > property drawers even if you only play with iCalendar export.
> > But if you plan to use synchronization, you really need to turn
> > this on.
>
> Nice to see advance in this front. I wonder whether it is possible to do
> a direct synchronisation with google calendar using json.el. That would
> be very interesting.

See the other post I just sent - in theory it should already work with
gcaldaemon, but I am testing right now.  Of course bidirectional
syncing is a bigger challenge, but gcal.el from the emacspeak project
would probably help with this, or maybe icalendar.el, or both.

* Re: Org mode release 6.04
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-05-28  4:01 ` Levin Du
From: Levin Du @ 2008-05-28  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-mode Mode

I love the feature of "Editing source code example in the proper mode". It's
very handy and powerful.
I found a bug with org-mtags.el. The table of content tag in muse is
<contents>, but in org is <content>.

If I write a simple org file with the misspelled tag:
----8<----8<---
<contents>
* title1
* title2
----8<----8<---

then export using "C-c C-e h" will lead to a loop
in  org-mtags-get-tag-and-attributes.

I wish I can use <contents> to be consistent with muse, and get a warning
from org if the tag is not supported.

* Re: Org mode release 6.04
@ 2008-05-28  4:36   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-05-28  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Levin Du; +Cc: Org-mode Mode

Fixed thanks.

I cannot make an error message when you have misspelled a tag, because
Org cannot know
if you have inserted that string on purpose.

But the loop is fixed now, and I am using now contents instead of
content.

- Carsten

@ 2008-05-28  6:34     ` Levin Du
From: Levin Du @ 2008-05-28  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-mode Mode

2008/5/28 Carsten Dominik <c.dominik@uva.nl>:

> Fixed thanks.
>
> I cannot make an error message when you have misspelled a tag, because Org
> cannot know
> if you have inserted that string on purpose.
>
> But the loop is fixed now, and I am using now contents instead of content.
>
> - Carsten

Thank you for your quick response and fix. I confirmed that's OK now.

And I thought I have fixed a little bug in org-export-as-html.
See this test file:
--8<----8<--
#+TITLE: this is the title
<content>
* title1
* title2
<example>
good day
</example>
--8<----8<--

There's no empty line or others contents after <example>...</example> block.
After export (C-c C-e , the </pre> closing tag is missing:
--8<-----8<---
<h2 id="sec-2">2 title2</h2>

  good day
--8<----8<---

Here's the patch:
diff --git a/lisp/org-exp.el b/lisp/org-exp.el
index 4637e8e..461ec3d 100644
--- a/lisp/org-exp.el
+++ b/lisp/org-exp.el
@@ -2666,7 +2666,7 @@ lang=\"%s\" xml:lang=\"%s\">
       (setq infixed t)
       (insert "<pre>\n"))
     (insert (org-html-protect (match-string 1 line)) "\n")
-    (when (and lines
+    (when (or (null lines)
        (not (string-match "^[ \t]*\\(:.*\\)"
   (car lines))))
       (setq infixed nil)

- Levin

* Re: Org mode release 6.04
@ 2008-05-28  8:35       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-05-28  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Levin Du; +Cc: Org-mode Mode

On May 28, 2008, at 8:34 AM, Levin Du wrote:
> Here's the patch:
> diff --git a/lisp/org-exp.el b/lisp/org-exp.el
> index 4637e8e..461ec3d 100644
> --- a/lisp/org-exp.el
> +++ b/lisp/org-exp.el
> @@ -2666,7 +2666,7 @@ lang=\"%s\" xml:lang=\"%s\">
>  	      (setq infixed t)
>  	      (insert "<pre>\n"))
>  	    (insert (org-html-protect (match-string 1 line)) "\n")
> -	    (when (and lines
> +	    (when (or (null lines)
>  		       (not (string-match "^[ \t]*\\(:.*\\)"
>  					  (car lines))))