* Copying and Pasting (and Selecting)
@ 2010-04-28 17:45 David Frascone
From: David Frascone @ 2010-04-28 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

**** Selecting
I've gotten into the habit of selecting by holding down shift, and using the
arrows
to highlight the text I want to select.  This even works fine in Aquamacs.
But, when I'm using
orgmode, and I use shift-Up or Down, then it changes the priority . . Anyone
else find this irritating?
Any work arounds, other than retraining myself?

**** Copying and Pasting
This could just be me fighting with Aquamacs (Cmd-C, Cmd-V, Cmd-etc
mac keys). But, the cutting, copying, and pasting do not seem very
intuitive.  I am used to (from old emacs days) using C-w and C-y, but,
i usually did that over regions.  Shift-Arrows to select, etc.  When I
shift arrow over a subtree it mucks with priority.  I know that's by
design, but I find it annoying.  Doing the alternative (cutting a
subtree) does NOT seem intuitive to me.  (Well, the C-w at the end of
the command (C-c C-x C-w) does).  But, I'm not trying to report a bug
-- I'm actually asking a question:  How do you guys typically select a
region and move it, assuming that you can't just move the subtree with
M-S-<Arrows>

* Re: Copying and Pasting (and Selecting)
@ 2010-04-28 20:11 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-04-28 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Frascone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:

> **** Copying and Pasting
> This could just be me fighting with Aquamacs (Cmd-C, Cmd-V, Cmd-etc
> mac keys). But, the cutting, copying, and pasting do not seem very
> intuitive.  I am used to (from old emacs days) using C-w and C-y, but,
> i usually did that over regions.  Shift-Arrows to select, etc.  When I
> shift arrow over a subtree it mucks with priority.  I know that's by
> design, but I find it annoying.  Doing the alternative (cutting a
> subtree) does NOT seem intuitive to me.  (Well, the C-w at the end of
> the command (C-c C-x C-w) does).  But, I'm not trying to report a bug
> -- I'm actually asking a question:  How do you guys typically select a
> region and move it, assuming that you can't just move the subtree with
> M-S-<Arrows>

1. I use C-[SPACE] together with transient-mark-mode to select a region
   and then type C-w to kill it and C-y to yank it.

2. I often kill folded subtrees with a simple C-k (org-kill-line).

3. I make frequent use of org-refile.

- Matt

* Re: Copying and Pasting (and Selecting)
@ 2010-04-28 20:15   ` David Frascone
From: David Frascone @ 2010-04-28 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:
>
> > **** Copying and Pasting
> > This could just be me fighting with Aquamacs (Cmd-C, Cmd-V, Cmd-etc
> > mac keys). But, the cutting, copying, and pasting do not seem very
> > intuitive.  I am used to (from old emacs days) using C-w and C-y, but,
> > i usually did that over regions.  Shift-Arrows to select, etc.  When I
> > shift arrow over a subtree it mucks with priority.  I know that's by
> > design, but I find it annoying.  Doing the alternative (cutting a
> > subtree) does NOT seem intuitive to me.  (Well, the C-w at the end of
> > the command (C-c C-x C-w) does).  But, I'm not trying to report a bug
> > -- I'm actually asking a question:  How do you guys typically select a
> > region and move it, assuming that you can't just move the subtree with
> > M-S-<Arrows>
>
> 1. I use C-[SPACE] together with transient-mark-mode to select a region
>   and then type C-w to kill it and C-y to yank it.
>
> 2. I often kill folded subtrees with a simple C-k (org-kill-line).
>
> 3. I make frequent use of org-refile.

I didn't like org-refile.  It didn't seem to want to refile under anything
but a top level (or maybe I was refiling a level 2) . . . I'll try to play
with it some more, but it didn't make my cheat sheet of cool tricks :)

 I need to get used to using the transient mark.  I use C-@ instead of
C-Space, though . . . works better across a ssh session :)

* Re: Copying and Pasting (and Selecting)
@ 2010-04-28 21:19 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-28 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Frascone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi David,

I think that's your version of Emacs getting in the way.  C-w and C-y
are cut and paste for me on linux (and windows using the Emacs W32 port
with those shift/C-c/C-v keys disabled so it doesn't emulate windows
application mode.

My move a region command sequence:
  - C-SPC to set point
  - move to beg/end of region
  - C-w to cut
  - move to target location
  - C-y to paste.

HTH,
Bernt

@ 2010-04-29 12:35     ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2010-04-29 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Frascone; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode

David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:
> I didn't like org-refile.  It didn't seem to want to refile under anything
> but a top level (or maybe I was refiling a level 2) . . . I'll try to play
> with it some more, but it didn't make my cheat sheet of cool tricks :)

You have to adjust the `org-refile-targets' setting -- by default, it
only lets you refile to top-level headings.

With this, for instance:

  (setq org-refile-targets '((nil . (:maxlevel . 5))))

... you'll be able to refile anywhere in the buffer up to 5th level.

* Re: Copying and Pasting (and Selecting)
@ 2010-04-29 14:26       ` David Frascone
From: David Frascone @ 2010-04-29 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Štěpán Němec; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode