* Table columns not aligning when width <n> set
@ 2017-08-08 18:53 William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2017-08-08 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I noticed this last week, but I'm on vacation.  I'm compiling and running Org
and Emacs from source, and have been keeping up to date, but the problem's been
there for a while.  For Org, I'm on the master branch, not tables, and running
"make update" to update.

In the example below, the <40> and <10> widths are not respected.  If you hit
C-c C-C on the STARTUP line, first one things goes wrong and then another, and
you can toggle back and forth.

Bill

# ----------

#+TITLE: Table column problem
#+STARTUP: align

| Forty                                    | Ten                      |
| <40>                                     | <10>                     |
|------------------------------------------+--------------------------|
| This cell has more than forty characters in it, but it won't align | Under.               |
| This cell has under forty characters.    | More than ten over here. |

# ----------

--
William Denton :: Toronto, Canada   ---   Listening to Art: https://listeningtoart.org/
https://www.miskatonic.org/         ---   GHG.EARTH: http://ghg.earth/

* Re: Table columns not aligning when width <n> set
@ 2017-08-14 17:54 ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2017-08-14 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I was able to use git bisect (on master) to narrow down where the problem
started (for me, at least):

27466a38bcd6f5f3c6bd3c61b8ec9253d4dbf4e4 is the first bad commit
commit 27466a38bcd6f5f3c6bd3c61b8ec9253d4dbf4e4
Author: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
Date:   Thu Jul 27 15:22:45 2017 +0200

     Fix `org-string-width'

     * lisp/org.el (org-string-width): Better handle various invisible
       characters.

I'm not sure what's going on ... is anyone else seeing this problem with tables?

Bill

--

@ 2017-08-14 18:01   ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-08-14 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton, emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 1:55 PM William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> wrote:

> I was able to use git bisect (on master) to narrow down where the problem
> started (for me, at least):
>
> 27466a38bcd6f5f3c6bd3c61b8ec9253d4dbf4e4 is the first bad commit
> commit 27466a38bcd6f5f3c6bd3c61b8ec9253d4dbf4e4
> Author: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
> Date:   Thu Jul 27 15:22:45 2017 +0200
>
>      Fix `org-string-width'
>
>      * lisp/org.el (org-string-width): Better handle various invisible
>        characters.
>
> I'm not sure what's going on ... is anyone else seeing this problem with
> tables?

Thanks for doing the bisect. I am also seeing the same problem you stated.

Here's what the table in your example looks like after I hit tab in the
first cell.. it should have got aligned.

[image: image.png]
--

Kaushal Modi

[-- Attachment #2: image.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 21756 bytes --]

* Re: Table columns not aligning when width <n> set
@ 2017-08-14 18:43   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2017-08-14 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    William> I was able to use git bisect (on master) to narrow down
    William> where the problem started (for me, at least):

    William> 27466a38bcd6f5f3c6bd3c61b8ec9253d4dbf4e4 is the first bad
    William> commit commit 27466a38bcd6f5f3c6bd3c61b8ec9253d4dbf4e4
    William> Author: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> Date: Thu
    William> Jul 27 15:22:45 2017 +0200

    William>     Fix `org-string-width'

    William>     * lisp/org.el (org-string-width): Better handle various
    William> invisible characters.

    William> I'm not sure what's going on ... is anyone else seeing this
    William> problem with tables?

Yes, I have it too. I'm on org-mode release_9.0.9-748-g3359e0, with
emacs-25.2.

Colin Baxter
m43cap@yandex.com
GnuPG fingerprint: 68A8 799C 0230 16E7 BF68  2A27 BBFA 2492 91F5 41C8

* Re: Table columns not aligning when width <n> set
@ 2017-08-19 10:15 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-08-19 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

> I noticed this last week, but I'm on vacation.  I'm compiling and running Org
> and Emacs from source, and have been keeping up to date, but the problem's been
> there for a while.  For Org, I'm on the master branch, not tables, and running
> "make update" to update.
>
> In the example below, the <40> and <10> widths are not respected.  If you hit
> C-c C-C on the STARTUP line, first one things goes wrong and then another, and
> you can toggle back and forth.
>
> Bill
>
> # ----------
>
> #+TITLE: Table column problem
> #+STARTUP: align
>
> | Forty                                    | Ten                      |
> | <40>                                     | <10>                     |
> |------------------------------------------+--------------------------|
> | This cell has more than forty characters in it, but it won't align | Under.               |
> | This cell has under forty characters.    | More than ten over here. |

Fixed. Thank you.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Table columns not aligning when width <n> set
@ 2017-08-19 19:50   ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-08-19 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou, William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode