* Org-table alignment in Arabic
@ 2017-08-11 11:16 jamdrug
From: jamdrug @ 2017-08-11 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Org-table alignment in Arabic
@ 2017-08-13 14:44 ` Peter Neilson
From: Peter Neilson @ 2017-08-13 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 07:16:26 -0400, <jamdrug@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> I am new to this email list about org-mode, first of all thanks to all
> contributors of org-mode. I am here seeking your help considering
> org-table and
> Arabic text, the issue is described in this post of mine sometime ago:
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/30495/2443
>
> Look forward to your feedback. Best Regards.

I'm afraid that I cannot offer any real help, but since nobody else has
answered yet, I'll throw out a few thoughts. Bear in mind that I do not
speak or read Arabic, and that my knowledge of the language is restricted
to being able to recognize three or four of the letters and to being able
to say Salaam aleikum.

I'm afraid that the problems are inherent in the usual presentation of
Arabic text, in which the form of each letter can vary depending upon
context. It seems that some people are working on trying to invent better
"monospaced" versions of the alphabet, but those all look clumsy, even to
their inventors, and especially so to people who are already conditioned
to see the beauty of handwritten Arabic. Your mention, elsewhere, of the
related problem of Japanese text seems appropriate. In Japanese, the use
of kanji, rather than kana, can be seen as more artistic and proper, and
the use of non-standard kanji is regarded by some as "intellectual". (Some
would say that the more esoteric Chinese characters you know, the smarter
you appear to be.)

You thus have in front of you a problem as large as you might wish. Think
of it as an opportunity. You can design additional Arabic fonts, and
campaign to make them popular. You can develop extensions to emacs to
handle whatever versions of Arabic text you wish, including the
omnipresent need for dealing with "mixed" text where Arabic and other
languages occur together. In particular, you can create your own
extensions to org mode. I'm thinking that a better set of rules for
positioning the elements of a table need to be defined. We'll help you (a
little bit) with the lisp. The difficulties, although huge, are not
insurmountable. Slightly more than half a century ago the idea of using
computers to handle Arabic text in any way at all was regarded as
ridiculously complicated. Now it's merely complicated.

You might think, "This answer does not even begin to touch the problem. It
omits the distinction between the identity of the character and its
presentation. It omits regional substitutions. It omits nearly
everything." You're right. I've provided many words, and very little help.

Here's a pointer to some truly weird person's attempts to do boustrophodon
editing via emacs:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/418365/boustrophedon-text-editing

Here is yet another discussion of editing Arabic text:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10395464

* Re: Org-table alignment in Arabic
@ 2017-08-13 21:17 ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-08-13 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)