* Clocktable creates superfluous columns
@ 2017-02-18 11:49 Stefan Nobis
From: Stefan Nobis @ 2017-02-18 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi.

In version 9.0.5 Org (Emacs 25.1) seems to generate too many columns
in some situations. I'm not quite sure since which version this
happens, in Org 8.x I have not seen this behaviour.

Here is a small example:

#+BEGIN: clocktable :maxlevel 3 :scope file :narrow 80! :compact
#+CAPTION: Clock summary at [2017-02-18 Sat 12:37], for February 2017.
| Headline          |   Time |   |   |
|-------------------+--------+---+---|
| *Total time*      | *0:15* |   |   |
|-------------------+--------+---+---|
| Some Tasks        |   0:15 |   |   |
| \_  STARTED Task1 |   0:15 |   |   |
#+END:

* Some Tasks
** STARTED Task1
   :CLOCK:
   CLOCK: [2017-02-18 Sat 12:00]--[2017-02-18 Sat 12:15] =>  0:15
   :END:

It seems that the iteration over the items generates to many "|". And
top level headlines (e.g. "Some Tasks") each generate one more "|"
than their children (but even those seem to generate to many "|").

I did not fully understand the function org-clocktable-write-default,
so I'm not quite sure how to best fix this.

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.

* Re: Clocktable creates superfluous columns
@ 2017-02-18 13:58 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-02-18 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Stefan Nobis <stefan-ml@snobis.de> writes:

> In version 9.0.5 Org (Emacs 25.1) seems to generate too many columns
> in some situations. I'm not quite sure since which version this
> happens, in Org 8.x I have not seen this behaviour.
>
> Here is a small example:
>
> #+BEGIN: clocktable :maxlevel 3 :scope file :narrow 80! :compact
> #+CAPTION: Clock summary at [2017-02-18 Sat 12:37], for February 2017.
> | Headline          |   Time |   |   |
> |-------------------+--------+---+---|
> | *Total time*      | *0:15* |   |   |
> |-------------------+--------+---+---|
> | Some Tasks        |   0:15 |   |   |
> | \_  STARTED Task1 |   0:15 |   |   |
> #+END:
>
> * Some Tasks
> ** STARTED Task1
>    :CLOCK:
>    CLOCK: [2017-02-18 Sat 12:00]--[2017-02-18 Sat 12:15] =>  0:15
>    :END:
>
> It seems that the iteration over the items generates to many "|". And
> top level headlines (e.g. "Some Tasks") each generate one more "|"
> than their children (but even those seem to generate to many "|").

Fixed. Thank you.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Clocktable creates superfluous columns
@ 2017-03-02 18:38   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-03-02 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou writes:
> Fixed. Thank you.

So the behaviour that whatever :maxlevel is set to becomes the number of
columns even when the rightmost columns are empty is now considered a
feature?  I haven't tried to bisect for when that changed, but empty
columns used to be dropped from the table.  I can see the new behaviour
useful sometimes, but the old one wasn't unreasonable either.  Is there
an option that I may have missed?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Clocktable creates superfluous columns
@ 2017-03-02 21:14     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-03-02 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> So the behaviour that whatever :maxlevel is set to becomes the number of
> columns even when the rightmost columns are empty is now considered a
> feature?  I haven't tried to bisect for when that changed, but empty
> columns used to be dropped from the table.

I'm a bit surprised that was the case. When fixing the clocktable,
I also wondered what was the expected behaviour in that case, did some
quick tests and came to the conclusion empty columns were fine.

Would you mind doing the bisecting part and providing an ECM?

Thank you.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Clocktable creates superfluous columns
@ 2017-03-03 19:15       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-03-03 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou writes:
> I'm a bit surprised that was the case. When fixing the clocktable,
> I also wondered what was the expected behaviour in that case, did some
> quick tests and came to the conclusion empty columns were fine.

I already said that I can see the utility of that in some cases, it's
just a user-visible change that I found not documented.

> Would you mind doing the bisecting part and providing an ECM?

I'll try to make some time for that.  OTOH, if it's just a matter of
implementing another customization option and code to pick up on that,
we may not even need to know when it changed.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Clocktable creates superfluous columns
@ 2017-03-05 17:10         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-03-05 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>> I'm a bit surprised that was the case. When fixing the clocktable,
>> I also wondered what was the expected behaviour in that case, did some
>> quick tests and came to the conclusion empty columns were fine.
>
> I already said that I can see the utility of that in some cases, it's
> just a user-visible change that I found not documented.

What I meant is that upon testing old revisions, empty columns were also
left over. Hence my surprise, since our experiences differ.

> I'll try to make some time for that.

Thank you.

> OTOH, if it's just a matter of implementing another customization
> option and code to pick up on that, we may not even need to know when
> it changed.

Honestly I'm curious to know how it was done. AFAICT, it entails to
compute deepest headline level across all files in scope. I don't think
there was such code.

Also, yet another customization may not be needed, as both behaviours
sounds fine to me.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou