* Agenda View window splits vertically
@ 2010-04-27 14:43 Juri Artamonov
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Juri Artamonov @ 2010-04-27 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Guys,

I'm newbie in emacs. Could please advice. Somehow I get my agenda view
appears vertically, i.e from the right side from my org file.

I open org file then press C-c a and I see "Agenda Commands" in the window
to the right, not to the bottom as it was before. Could you please advice,
how to make it back and make agenda view open horizontally?

Thank you,
                  Juri.

* Re: Agenda View window splits vertically
@ 2010-04-27 17:07 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-04-27 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Artamonov; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Juri Artamonov <jartamonov@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm newbie in emacs. Could please advice. Somehow I get my agenda view appears vertically, i.e from the right side from my org file.
>
> I open org file then press C-c a and I see "Agenda Commands" in the window to the right, not to the bottom as it was before. Could you please advice, how
> to make it back and make agenda view open horizontally?

The following is pure guesswork, unencumberd by reliance on facts or other
such minor considerations:

What does ``C-h f org-prepare-agenda <RET>'' say? If it says that the function is
advised, then that might be what's doing it: find the advice and get rid of
it.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Agenda View window splits vertically
@ 2010-04-27 18:18 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-04-27 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Artamonov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Tue, 27 Apr 2010 17:43:35 +0300,
Juri Artamonov wrote:
> I'm newbie in emacs. Could please advice. Somehow I get my agenda
> view appears vertically, i.e from the right side from my org file.
>
> I open org file then press C-c a and I see "Agenda Commands" in the
> window to the right, not to the bottom as it was before.  Could you
> please advice, how to make it back and make agenda view open
> horizontally?

You might check the two variables `split-height-threshold' and
`split-width-threshold' that could be used to determine whether to
split the window vertically or horizontically:

M-x apropos RET split-window-sensibly RET

,----
| split-window-sensibly is a compiled Lisp function in `window.el'.
|
| (split-window-sensibly window)
|
| Split window in a way suitable for `display-buffer'.
| If `split-height-threshold' specifies an integer, window is at
| least `split-height-threshold' lines tall and can be split
| vertically, split window into two windows one above the other and
| return the lower window.  Otherwise, if `split-width-threshold'
| specifies an integer, window is at least `split-width-threshold'
| columns wide and can be split horizontally, split window into two
| windows side by side and return the window on the right.  If this
| can't be done either and window is the only window on its frame,
| try to split window vertically disregarding any value specified
| by `split-height-threshold'.  If that succeeds, return the lower
| window.  Return nil otherwise.
|
| By default `display-buffer' routines call this function to split
| the largest or least recently used window.  To change the default
| customize the option `split-window-preferred-function'.
|
| You can enforce this function to not split window horizontally,
| by setting (or binding) the variable `split-width-threshold' to
| nil.  If, in addition, you set `split-height-threshold' to zero,
| chances increase that this function does split window vertically.
|
| In order to not split window vertically, set (or bind) the
| variable `split-height-threshold' to nil.  Additionally, you can
| set `split-width-threshold' to zero to make a horizontal split
| more likely to occur.
|
| Have a look at the function `window-splittable-p' if you want to
| know how `split-window-sensibly' determines whether window can be
| split.
`----

HTH
 -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: Agenda View window splits vertically
@ 2010-04-27 18:39 ` Manish Sharma
From: Manish Sharma @ 2010-04-27 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Juri Artamonov writes:

> Guys,
>
> I'm newbie in emacs. Could please advice. Somehow I get my agenda view
>appears vertically, i.e from the right side from my org file.
>
> I open org file then press C-c a and I see "Agenda Commands" in the
> window to the right, not to the bottom as it was before. Could you
> please advice, how to make it back and make agenda view open
> horizontally?

I suspect I did not quite understand but this might help:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.php#sec-8

HTH
--
Manish

* Re: Re: Agenda View window splits vertically
@ 2010-04-28  6:57   ` Livin Stephen Sharma
From: Livin Stephen Sharma @ 2010-04-28  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org-mode-help gnu