* org-vcard -- possible to convert .vcf files to .org ?
@ 2017-02-19  6:49 John Magolske
From: John Magolske @ 2017-02-19  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Can org-vcard convert .vcf files into .org files? I have a .vcf file,
a list of contacts generated from an android phone, which I'd like to
edit, through a process like:

    contacts.vcf -> contacts.org

then after editing that contacts.org file do:

    contacts.org -> contacts2.vcf

so that contacts2.vcf can be re-imported to the phone.

I tried org-vcard-import along with:

    Source: file
    Destination: buffer
    Filename? /tmp/Contacts.vcf

which tells me:

    Imported contacts data to buffer ’*org-vcard-import*’

but that buffer is empty. Same when I select as Destination "file",
it produces an empty file.

I see org-vcard is "... a package for exporting and importing vCards
from within GNU Emacs' Org mode." So I'm thinking it should be
possible to do something like this, but I can't seem to get it
working.

TIA for any clarification,

John

--
John Magolske
http://b79.net/contact

* Re: org-vcard -- possible to convert .vcf files to .org ?
       [not found] <f64efe24ed43417c84929b1aecae3247@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2017-02-19 17:21 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-02-19 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sunday, 19 Feb 2017 at 06:49, John Magolske wrote:
> Can org-vcard convert .vcf files into .org files? I have a .vcf file,
> a list of contacts generated from an android phone, which I'd like to
> edit, through a process like:

[...]

> but that buffer is empty. Same when I select as Destination "file",
> it produces an empty file.

I've just tried this and it worked for me (give or take).  Both ways.

What versions of org, emacs and org-vcard?  I downloaded the latest
version of the latter from https://github.com/flexibeast/org-vcard

By the way, there is also a bbdb-vcard package that may be of use to you.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 26.0.50.1, Org release_9.0.4-242-g2c27b8

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: org-vcard -- possible to convert .vcf files to .org ?
@ 2017-02-25 19:46   ` Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2017-02-25 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> By the way, there is also a bbdb-vcard package that may be of use to you.

I’ve migrated back to Emacs/Gnus/orgmode and wonder if there is
something to sync contacts with the CardDav server(s)?

Atm I use DAVDroid on the phone along with Baikal server and
khard/vdrisyncer on my desktop so bbdb-vcard is helpful, but,
unfortunately, I keep two address books (*.vcf files) and BBDB still
cannot handle more than one BBDB file…the only other option seems to be
ASynK which does not look very popular…

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A person is said to be established in self-realization and is called a yogī
[or mystic] when he is fully satisfied by virtue of acquired knowledge and

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: org-vcard -- possible to convert .vcf files to .org ?
@ 2017-02-25 20:04     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-02-25 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Saša Janiška <gour@atmarama.com> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> By the way, there is also a bbdb-vcard package that may be of use to you.
>
> I’ve migrated back to Emacs/Gnus/orgmode and wonder if there is
> something to sync contacts with the CardDav server(s)?
>
> Atm I use DAVDroid on the phone along with Baikal server and
> khard/vdrisyncer on my desktop so bbdb-vcard is helpful, but,
> unfortunately, I keep two address books (*.vcf files) and BBDB still
> cannot handle more than one BBDB file…the only other option seems to be
> ASynK which does not look very popular…

This is on the roadmap for EBDB[1]. It already supports multiple
databases, and can export to vcard. I'm working on vcard import now, and
when that's done it will be a native Vcard database. Then CardDAV. I
also use DAVDroid and really want this feature myself, though I can't
promise any kind of timeline!

Eric

[1]: https://github.com/girzel/ebdb

* Re: org-vcard -- possible to convert .vcf files to .org ?
@ 2017-02-26 10:46       ` Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2017-02-26 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> This is on the roadmap for EBDB[1]. i

It’s already starred here. ;)

> It already supports multiple databases, and can export to vcard. I'm
> working on vcard import now, and when that's done it will be a native
> Vcard database.

Wonderful…thanks a lot for your work on it!!

> Then CardDAV. I also use DAVDroid and really want this feature myself,
> though I can't promise any kind of timeline!

I’m so excited about the prospect of EBDB, that it might push me in the
direction to finally learn Elisp. :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Bewildered by the modes of material nature, the ignorant fully
engage themselves in material activities and become attached. But

* Re: org-vcard -- possible to convert .vcf files to .org ?
@ 2017-02-26 17:35         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-02-26 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Saša Janiška <gour@atmarama.com> writes:

>> This is on the roadmap for EBDB[1]. i
>
> It’s already starred here. ;)
>
>> It already supports multiple databases, and can export to vcard. I'm
>> working on vcard import now, and when that's done it will be a native
>> Vcard database.
>
> Wonderful…thanks a lot for your work on it!!
>
>> Then CardDAV. I also use DAVDroid and really want this feature myself,
>> though I can't promise any kind of timeline!
>
> I’m so excited about the prospect of EBDB, that it might push me in the
> direction to finally learn Elisp. :-)

Glad to know you're enthusiastic, and patches are always welcome!

I do expect the DAV server stuff to take me a while, though. I've heard
the protocol is a bear, and I don't have much experiences with XML or
network programming. I expect to crib a lot of code out of org-caldave
:)

Eric

* Re: org-vcard -- possible to convert .vcf files to .org ?
@ 2017-02-27 10:59           ` Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2017-02-27 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Glad to know you're enthusiastic, and patches are always welcome!

What can you recommend for learning Elisp which might be also useful for
špssobče contributibution to EBDB?

> I do expect the DAV server stuff to take me a while, though. I've heard
> the protocol is a bear, and I don't have much experiences with XML or
> network programming. I expect to crib a lot of code out of org-caldave
> :)

org-caldav is nice, but not useful any longer for me due to
https://github.com/dengste/org-caldav/issues/51 issue. :-(

Sincerely,
Gour

--
For him who has conquered the mind, the mind is the best of
friends; but for one who has failed to do so, his mind will

* Re: org-vcard -- possible to convert .vcf files to .org ?
@ 2017-02-27 19:32             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-02-27 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Saša Janiška <gour@atmarama.com> writes:

>> Glad to know you're enthusiastic, and patches are always welcome!
>
> What can you recommend for learning Elisp which might be also useful for
> špssobče contributibution to EBDB?

What would be great is having more country-specific parsing and display
functions. EBDB can display phone numbers, etc, differently depending on
the country code. You can look at ebdb-i18n, and also ebdb-chn, which is
the only country-specific library I've written, which is why I'm hoping
people will pitch in here :) Basically look at your contacts and see if
any them have field data that should be read or displayed in
country-specific ways, and see if you can tackle that.

You'll need a passing familiarity with generic functions, but that part
should mostly be copy-and-paste. The work would be with regular
expressions, string formatting, that sort of thing, which is good
practice!

>> I do expect the DAV server stuff to take me a while, though. I've heard
>> the protocol is a bear, and I don't have much experiences with XML or
>> network programming. I expect to crib a lot of code out of org-caldave
>> :)
>
> org-caldav is nice, but not useful any longer for me due to
> https://github.com/dengste/org-caldav/issues/51 issue. :-(

Oh, I've never hit that bug. That's too bad...

Eric

* Re: org-vcard -- possible to convert .vcf files to .org ?
@ 2017-02-28  9:51               ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2017-02-28  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Saša Janiška <gour@atmarama.com> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>
>>> Glad to know you're enthusiastic, and patches are always welcome!
>>
>> What can you recommend for learning Elisp which might be also useful for
>> špssobče contributibution to EBDB?
>
> What would be great is having more country-specific parsing and display
> functions. EBDB can display phone numbers, etc, differently depending on
> the country code. You can look at ebdb-i18n, and also ebdb-chn, which is
> the only country-specific library I've written, which is why I'm hoping
> people will pitch in here :) Basically look at your contacts and see if
> any them have field data that should be read or displayed in
> country-specific ways, and see if you can tackle that.

Perhaps the data from libphonenumber can be used.

    https://github.com/googlei18n/libphonenumber

Rasmus

--
Together we'll stand, divided we'll fall

* Re: org-vcard -- possible to convert .vcf files to .org ?
@ 2017-02-28 16:12                 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-02-28 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

>> Saša Janiška <gour@atmarama.com> writes:

>>> What can you recommend for learning Elisp which might be also useful for
>>> špssobče contributibution to EBDB?
>>
>> What would be great is having more country-specific parsing and display
>> functions. EBDB can display phone numbers, etc, differently depending on
>> the country code. You can look at ebdb-i18n, and also ebdb-chn, which is
>> the only country-specific library I've written, which is why I'm hoping
>> people will pitch in here :) Basically look at your contacts and see if
>> any them have field data that should be read or displayed in
>> country-specific ways, and see if you can tackle that.
>
> Perhaps the data from libphonenumber can be used.
>
>     https://github.com/googlei18n/libphonenumber

That's handy, thanks! And turns out I already had it installed.

* Re: org-vcard -- possible to convert .vcf files to .org ?
@ 2017-02-28 21:21             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-02-28 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Saša Janiška <gour@atmarama.com> writes:

[...]

> org-caldav is nice, but not useful any longer for me due to
> https://github.com/dengste/org-caldav/issues/51 issue. :-(

Also, it looks like there are many forks of this repository, some of
which presumably address that issue -- has anyone tried any of the forks
recently?

* Re: org-vcard -- possible to convert .vcf files to .org ?
@ 2017-03-01 14:51               ` Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2017-03-01 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Also, it looks like there are many forks of this repository, some of
> which presumably address that issue -- has anyone tried any of the forks
> recently?

I was looking at them, but do not see any repo which would deal with
that issue…

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The senses are so strong and impetuous, O Arjuna,
that they forcibly carry away the mind even of a man