* org todos on paper?
@ 2014-02-28  1:23 Peter Salazar
From: Peter Salazar @ 2014-02-28  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I keep meeting people who say they started getting more things done more
efficiently once they started printing out their tasks lists, so they can
have the experience of seeing the list on paper and, more importantly, the
satisfaction of crossing an item off on the page.

Does anyone have a workflow they're happy with that involves printing out
their org-mode todo lists?

* Re: org todos on paper?
@ 2014-02-28  2:22 ` Peter Neilson
From: Peter Neilson @ 2014-02-28  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 20:23:26 -0500, Peter Salazar <cycleofsong@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I keep meeting people who say they started getting more things done more
> efficiently once they started printing out their tasks lists, so they can
> have the experience of seeing the list on paper and, more importantly,
> the
> satisfaction of crossing an item off on the page.
>
> Does anyone have a workflow they're happy with that involves printing out
> their org-mode todo lists?

Exactly. My to-do items are mostly physical activities related to taking
care of farm animals, rather than things I'm doing on my computer. It
makes little sense to try to follow a list on a laptop or smartphone when
walking back and forth in mud, or when picking up items at the farm-supply
store. I update my to-do items occasionally in emacs, but as much as I've
loved using emacs for nearly 40 years, it's not my constant companion
outdoors in the weather, or when handling horses or shearing sheep. A
printed piece of paper in my pocket is much easier to use, and little harm
is done if it falls into the stock tank or gets trampled by livestock.

* Re: org todos on paper?
@ 2014-02-28  2:28   ` Kyle Machulis
From: Kyle Machulis @ 2014-02-28  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I had a set of scripts cron'd to like 4am that would run emacs, output a
daily agenda export, and email that to me, which I would sometimes print.
It was super handy.

Of course, they stopped working a while ago but I keep meaning to fix that.

@ 2014-02-28  3:12     ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2014-02-28  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Machulis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014, Kyle Machulis wrote:

> I had a set of scripts cron'd to like 4am that would run emacs,
> output a daily agenda export, and email that to me, which I would
> sometimes print. It was super handy.
>
> Of course, they stopped working a while ago but I keep meaning to
> fix that.

would be nice to print the daily tasks to a small thermal printer.
http://learn.adafruit.com/mini-thermal-receipt-printer

   -k.

* Re: org todos on paper?
@ 2014-02-28 10:00   ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2014-02-28 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Neilson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

You may want to check out Christian Egli's org2hdpa in the
contrib/scripts directory, cf. this thread:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-05/msg00577.html

Peter Neilson writes:

>  as much as I've loved using emacs for nearly 40 years, it's not my
> constant companion outdoors in the weather, or when handling horses or
> shearing sheep.

What a great quote! And before long, someone will come up with

  M-x shear-sheep

:)

Yours,
Christian Moe

* Re: org todos on paper?
@ 2014-02-28 10:44     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-02-28 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:

> You may want to check out Christian Egli's org2hdpa in the
> contrib/scripts directory, cf. this thread:
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-05/msg00577.html
>
> Peter Neilson writes:
>
>>  as much as I've loved using emacs for nearly 40 years, it's not my
>> constant companion outdoors in the weather, or when handling horses or
>> shearing sheep.
>
> What a great quote! And before long, someone will come up with
>
>   M-x shear-sheep
>
> :)

Its just a matter of time and the machine you use for shearing sheeps
will be a kind of smart-phone too that peeps if you need more than the
SCHEDULED time for one sheep, or the time for

,---------------------------------
| "[#A] TODO Melk the Cows :farm:"
`---------------------------------

has arrived ...

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: org todos on paper?
@ 2014-02-28 11:15       ` Peter Neilson
From: Peter Neilson @ 2014-02-28 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 05:44:52 -0500, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Its just a matter of time and the machine you use for shearing sheeps
> will be a kind of smart-phone too that peeps if you need more than the
> SCHEDULED time for one sheep, or the time for
>
> ,---------------------------------
> | "[#A] TODO Melk the Cows :farm:"
> `---------------------------------
>
> has arrived ...

We do not have cows, but I know what's involved. Dairy cows are on a
strict schedule, milked twice daily. They are automatically the top
priority at four in the morning and at four in the afternoon. Writing it
down on paper or in emacs is superfluous. Nothing (except the barn being
on fire) is more important.

"Why isn't Farbror Hans here at Grandfather's funeral?"

-- "He had to milk the cows."

"Oh. Of course. I forgot. Yes, that's more important."

* Re: org todos on paper?
@ 2014-02-28 13:09     ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2014-02-28 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:

> You may want to check out Christian Egli's org2hdpa in the
> contrib/scripts directory, cf. this thread:
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-05/msg00577.html

This script prints a pocketMod calendar that includes entries from the
diary file. However if you also want your todo items you need to extend
the script.

Thanks
Christian

--