* Slides with columns export problem
@ 2017-08-17 17:55 Stéphane Genaud
       [not found] ` <87a82xq4yw.fsf@delle7240.chemeng.ucl.ac.uk>
From: Stéphane Genaud @ 2017-08-17 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,
i am using org-mode 8.2.10 to export to a beamer tex source.
When running pdflatex my org-mode source file, and once i finally isolated
the problematic bit in a single frame, pdflatex says:

[1{/opt/local/var/db/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}])
Runaway argument?
\let \AtEndDocument \@firstofone \@enddocumenthook \@checkend {docume\ETC.
! File ended while scanning use of \beamer@collect@@body.
<inserted text>
                \par
<*> simple.tex

The problematic frame is:

** Kernel Roles
*** Roles 						:B_column:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: block
    :BEAMER_col: 0.5
    :BEAMER_envargs: <2->
    :END:
    - Program Execution
    - File Maagement
    - I/O Management
    - Communication
    - Protection & Security
    - Accounting
    - Resource Allocation
*** Image: What does it do? 				:B_column:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
    :BEAMER_col: 0.5
    :END:

#+LABEL:fig:kernel-roles
#+ATTR_LaTeX: width=0.8\linewidth
#+ATTR_HTML: width="80%"
[[file:fig/kernel-roles.png]]
—————————————————————————————————

for which the tex-beamer export produces:

\begin{frame}[label=sec-2-6]{Kernel Roles}
\begin{columns}
\begin{column}{0.5\textwidth}
\begin{block}{Roles}
\begin{itemize}
\item Program Execution
\item File Management
\item I/O Management
\item Communication
\item Protection \& Security
\item Accounting
\item Resource Allocation
\end{itemize}
\end{block}
\end{column}

\begin{center}
\includegraphics[width=.9\linewidth]{fig/kernel-roles.png}
\end{center}
\end{frame}
—————————————————————————————————

Here, a second \begin{column}…\end{column} is missing.
I have successfully used this construct in other presentations.

I have tried plenty of variations but i do not really understand what
will trigger/not trigger the creation of a second  \begin{column}…\end{column}.
The org-mode example related to this page setup in the documentation
(http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/tutorial.html#orgdaf54b2) does not
explain much apart from the specific example given.

Any help to understand how the exporter works would be appreciated.

Thanks.

	—Stéphane.

* Re: Slides with columns export problem
@ 2017-08-17 18:52 ` Nicolas Goaziou
       [not found] ` <87a82xq4yw.fsf@delle7240.chemeng.ucl.ac.uk>
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-08-17 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stéphane Genaud; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Stéphane Genaud <genaud@unistra.fr> writes:

> i am using org-mode 8.2.10 to export to a beamer tex source.
> When running pdflatex my org-mode source file, and once i finally isolated
> the problematic bit in a single frame, pdflatex says:
>
> [1{/opt/local/var/db/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}])
> Runaway argument?
> \let \AtEndDocument \@firstofone \@enddocumenthook \@checkend {docume\ETC.
> ! File ended while scanning use of \beamer@collect@@body.
> <inserted text>
>                 \par
> <*> simple.tex
>

> The problematic frame is:
>
> ** Kernel Roles
> *** Roles 						:B_column:
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :BEAMER_env: block
>     :BEAMER_col: 0.5

>     :BEAMER_envargs: <2->
>     :END:
>     - Program Execution
>     - File Maagement
>     - I/O Management
>     - Communication
>     - Protection & Security
>     - Accounting
>     - Resource Allocation
> *** Image: What does it do? 				:B_column:
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
>     :BEAMER_col: 0.5

The two properties above are incompatible.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2017-08-18  9:43   ` Stéphane Genaud
From: Stéphane Genaud @ 2017-08-18  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Eric S Fraga, Nicolas Goaziou

Thanks Eric and Nicolas for finding out quickly.
Indeed, changing the PROPERTY: ignoreheading to block solved the issue.

I think these kind of incompatibilities should be documented, it drove me crazy many hours since
of course the pdflatex error messages are totally useless to find out.

I would be pleased to help but unfortunately i am totally ignorant of these subtleties.

Thanks.

	—Stéphane.

@ 2017-08-18 10:13     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-08-18 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stéphane Genaud; +Cc: Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Stéphane Genaud <genaud@unistra.fr> writes:

> I think these kind of incompatibilities should be documented, it drove
> me crazy many hours since of course the pdflatex error messages are
> totally useless to find out.

Quoting the manual

     Also, a headline with an ‘ignoreheading’ environment will have its
     contents only inserted in the output.  This special value is useful
     to have data between frames, or to properly close a ‘column’
     environment.

    [...]

       Moreover, headlines handle the ‘BEAMER_COL’ property.  Its value
    should be a decimal number representing the width of the column as a
    fraction of the total text width.  If the headline has no specific
    environment, its title will be ignored and its contents will fill the
    column created.

so there is no incentive to use "ignoreheading" in conjunction with
BEAMER_COL property.

Of course, if you see an improvement on the wording, suggestions are
welcome.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738