* What happened to `org-end-of-meta-data-and-drawers'?
@ 2016-02-05 23:16 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2016-02-05 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi List,
again an Org function I used in one of my libraries has disappeared.

,----
| org-dp-lib.el:483:1:Warning: the function `org-end-of-meta-data-and-drawers'
|     is not known to be defined.
`----

Two related questions:

 - is there a replacement?
 - using Magit, how can I investigate the fate of such a lost function
   without investing too much time and effort?

PS
Another rather unrelated question:
Byte-compiling files that require package cl, I always get one of two
errors:
 - using (require 'cl), I get

,----
| org-dp.el:172:1:Warning: cl package required at runtime
`----

 - but, when I correctly use (eval-when-compile (require 'cl)), I see
   several of these:

,----
| org-dp-lib.el:275:40:Warning: function `remove-duplicates' from cl package
|     called at runtime
`----

How to avoid both kinds of warnings? I'm probably not really up-to-date
here ...

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: What happened to `org-end-of-meta-data-and-drawers'?
@ 2016-02-05 23:29 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-02-05 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi List,
> again an Org function I used in one of my libraries has disappeared.
>
> ,----
> | org-dp-lib.el:483:1:Warning: the function `org-end-of-meta-data-and-drawers'
> |     is not known to be defined.
> `----
>
> Two related questions:
>
>  - is there a replacement?

(org-end-of-meta-data t)

>  - using Magit, how can I investigate the fate of such a lost function
>    without investing too much time and effort?

You can do a regexp search in commit messages :

  l =g org-end-of-meta-data

> Another rather unrelated question:
> Byte-compiling files that require package cl, I always get one of two
> errors:
>  - using (require 'cl), I get
>
> ,----
> | org-dp.el:172:1:Warning: cl package required at runtime
> `----
>
>  - but, when I correctly use (eval-when-compile (require 'cl)), I see
>    several of these:
>
> ,----
> | org-dp-lib.el:275:40:Warning: function `remove-duplicates' from cl package
> |     called at runtime
> `----
>
> How to avoid both kinds of warnings? I'm probably not really up-to-date
> here ...

If you plan to base your work off master, you can as well use

  (require 'cl-lib)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: What happened to `org-end-of-meta-data-and-drawers'?
@ 2016-02-05 23:43   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2016-02-05 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi List,
>> again an Org function I used in one of my libraries has disappeared.
>>
>> ,----
>> | org-dp-lib.el:483:1:Warning: the function
>> | `org-end-of-meta-data-and-drawers'
>> |     is not known to be defined.
>> `----
>>
>> Two related questions:
>>
>>  - is there a replacement?
>
> (org-end-of-meta-data t)

Ok, thanks!

>>  - using Magit, how can I investigate the fate of such a lost function
>>    without investing too much time and effort?
>
> You can do a regexp search in commit messages :
>
>   l =g org-end-of-meta-data

Cool, thanks again.

>> Another rather unrelated question:
>> Byte-compiling files that require package cl, I always get one of two
>> errors:
>>  - using (require 'cl), I get
>>
>> ,----
>> | org-dp.el:172:1:Warning: cl package required at runtime
>> `----
>>
>>  - but, when I correctly use (eval-when-compile (require 'cl)), I see
>>    several of these:
>>
>> ,----
>> | org-dp-lib.el:275:40:Warning: function `remove-duplicates' from cl
>> | package
>> |     called at runtime
>> `----
>>
>> How to avoid both kinds of warnings? I'm probably not really up-to-date
>> here ...
>
> If you plan to base your work off master, you can as well use
>
>   (require 'cl-lib)

Not sure if I understand what "base your work off master" refers to, but
I'll try cl-lib, probably less hassle than cl.

--

@ 2016-02-06 14:36     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-02-06 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thorsten,

I’m happy to see you in this neck of the woods.

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Not sure if I understand what "base your work off master" refers
> to, but I'll try cl-lib, probably less hassle than cl.

I read it as:

      If your library is targeting the master branch of
      org-mode.git, which is targeting Emacs 24.3 or 24.4, you
      might as well use cl-lib, the replacement of cl.

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
It was you, Jezebel, it was you

* Re: What happened to `org-end-of-meta-data-and-drawers'?
@ 2016-02-06 14:55       ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2016-02-06 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

Hi Rasmus,

> I’m happy to see you in this neck of the woods.

thanks, I really hope that becomes a habit again ...

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Not sure if I understand what "base your work off master" refers to,
>> but I'll try cl-lib, probably less hassle than cl.
>
> I read it as:
>
>      If your library is targeting the master branch of
> org-mode.git, which is targeting Emacs 24.3 or 24.4, you    might as
> well use cl-lib, the replacement of cl.

I think so, I don't want to think about backward compability or so, I
use Archlinux, so my Emacs should always be pretty up to date, and Org
from Git, and thats where my stuff is tested and nowhere else (from me
at least).

--
cheers,
Thorsten