* adding notes from agenda buffer
@ 2008-06-11 20:27 Peter Rayner
       [not found] ` <21947.1213217078@alphaville.zko.hp.com>
From: Peter Rayner @ 2008-06-11 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

I am still learning org-mode so apologies in advance:

I spend most of my org-mode time in the agenda buffer, usually
visiting the underlying files as I tidy up or review.  I would like to
quickly add notes to a task as I am working on it, even if the state
isn't changing and have them appear in the right place. This seems
like something people would do often so I suspect I'm missing an
obvious mechanism.
Thanks for any pointers.
regards
Peter

--
Peter Rayner: LSCE/IPSL, Laboratoire CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
address: Bat. 701 LSCE - CEA de Saclay

* Re: adding notes from agenda buffer
@ 2008-06-11 21:20 ` Paul R
       [not found] ` <21947.1213217078@alphaville.zko.hp.com>
From: Paul R @ 2008-06-11 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter.rayner; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Peter Rayner <peter.rayner@lsce.ipsl.fr> writes:

> [...].  I would like to
> quickly add notes to a task as I am working on it, even if the state
> isn't changing and have them appear in the right place. This seems
> like something people would do often so I suspect I'm missing an
> obvious mechanism.

Not sure I understand you correctly, but you can visit entries from
the agenda view with key TAB. If you want, org mode documentation will
give you 3 mores keys to visit entries from agenda buffer.

--
      Paul

* Re: adding notes from agenda buffer
       [not found]   ` <18512.15214.812966.679186@gargle.gargle.HOWL>
@ 2008-06-11 21:31     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2008-06-11 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter.rayner; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Peter Rayner <peter.rayner@lsce.ipsl.fr> wrote:

> >Typing <RET> on an item in the agenda buffer takes you to the item
> >itself, where you can do anything you please, e.g. add a note. Is that
> >what you are looking for?
>
> It's close but I would rather automate adding the time-stamp, finding
> the correct place to add the note etc.  It's like adding a note with a
> state-change but *without* a state change.

[You should reply to the list, so everybody can "hear" the conversation.]

org-add-note will add a note. It's bound to C-c

@ 2008-06-11 21:36     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2008-06-11 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter.rayner; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

[Fat-fingered that one... I *meant* to say:]

Peter Rayner <peter.rayner@lsce.ipsl.fr> wrote:

> >Typing <RET> on an item in the agenda buffer takes you to the item
> >itself, where you can do anything you please, e.g. add a note. Is that
> >what you are looking for?
>
> It's close but I would rather automate adding the time-stamp, finding
> the correct place to add the note etc.  It's like adding a note with a
> state-change but *without* a state change.

[You should reply to the list, so everybody can "hear" the conversation.]

org-add-note will add a note. It's bound to C-c C-z, so from the agenda,
you can do <RET> and then C-c C-z: you'll get a note buffer where you
can type your note; C-c C-c will insert it.

Nick

* Re: adding notes from agenda buffer
@ 2008-06-11 21:59       ` Cezar Halmagean
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-06-11 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> [Fat-fingered that one... I *meant* to say:]
>
> Peter Rayner <peter.rayner@lsce.ipsl.fr> wrote:
>
>> >Typing <RET> on an item in the agenda buffer takes you to the item
>> >itself, where you can do anything you please, e.g. add a note. Is that
>> >what you are looking for?
>>
>> It's close but I would rather automate adding the time-stamp, finding
>> the correct place to add the note etc.  It's like adding a note with a
>> state-change but *without* a state change.
>
> [You should reply to the list, so everybody can "hear" the conversation.]
>
> org-add-note will add a note. It's bound to C-c C-z, so from the agenda,
> you can do <RET> and then C-c C-z: you'll get a note buffer where you
> can type your note; C-c C-c will insert it.

This is really nice ! But I think we should have this in the agenda
buffer so you don't have to type <RET> to go to the actuall TODO entry.

Cezar

* Re: adding notes from agenda buffer
@ 2008-06-12 18:11         ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-06-12 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar Halmagean; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Cezar Halmagean <cezar@mixandgo.ro> writes:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
>> [Fat-fingered that one... I *meant* to say:]

>>> It's close but I would rather automate adding the time-stamp, finding
>>> the correct place to add the note etc.  It's like adding a note with a
>>> state-change but *without* a state change.
>>
>> [You should reply to the list, so everybody can "hear" the conversation.]
>>
>> org-add-note will add a note. It's bound to C-c C-z, so from the agenda,
>> you can do <RET> and then C-c C-z: you'll get a note buffer where you
>> can type your note; C-c C-c will insert it.
>>

> This is really nice ! But I think we should have this in the agenda
> buffer so you don't have to type <RET> to go to the actuall TODO entry.

It already works like that.  Just put the cursor on an agenda line and
C-c C-z and enter your note - it gets filed on the appropriate task.

-Bernt