From: Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com>
To: Thomas Albers <tgalbers2000@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: org-checkbox-hierarchical-statistics not working as expected
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2020 00:06:13 -0400

Thomas Albers writes:

> Footnote 2 in the chapter 5.6 talks about the
> 'org-checkbox-hierarchical-statistics' variable, which I have set to
> nil. But the top level header still does no show the count of checked off
> items.
>
> I have also used the :COOKIE_DATA: property set to recursive with the
> same results.
>
> What I would expect based on the documentation:
>      * Some header [1/2]
>      :PROPERTIES:
>      :COOKIE_DATA: recursive
>      :END:
>      ** Another header [1/2]
>        - [X] some item 1
>        - [ ] some item 2
>
> What I get:
>      * Some header [0/0]
>      :PROPERTIES:
>      :COOKIE_DATA: recursive
>      :END:
>      ** Another header [1/2]
>        - [X] some item 1
>        - [ ] some item 2
>
> Am I interpreting something wrong?

My understanding is that org-checkbox-hierarchical-statistics isn't
about counting boxes from children headings but instead about counting
children checkboxes.  For example, here's a count with the default value
of t for org-checkbox-hierarchical-statistics:

    * h [0/2]
    - [-] a
      - [ ] a.1
      - [X] a.2
    - [-] b
      - [ ] b.1
      - [X] b.2

With org-checkbox-hierarchical-statistics to nil, the count is instead

    * h [2/6]
    - [-] a
      - [ ] a.1
      - [X] a.2