* Linking Mail ?
@ 2010-04-28 17:51 David Frascone
From: David Frascone @ 2010-04-28 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'd love to link to mail, but I'm using Thunderbird (actually Postbox), and
there don't seem to be any easy ways to add links to it.  So, I'm actually
considering using some emacs mailer, just for the ability to link to mails
via imap.

1) Is anyone else doing this?  If so, is it worth the trouble?

2) Which mail subsystem would be most compatible and easiest to use?  MH?
Gnus?  And, would it be worth the trouble setting up on a mac?

3) I know there IS a way to link mails using Mail.app, but I prefer the more
powerful filters in thunderbird/postbox.

* Re: Linking Mail ?
@ 2010-04-28 20:14 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-04-28 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Frascone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:

> 2) Which mail subsystem would be most compatible and easiest to use?
> MH?  Gnus?  And, would it be worth the trouble setting up on a mac?

You might want to check out this recent ML discussion:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/23481/focus=23588

- Matt

* Re: Re: Linking Mail ?
@ 2010-04-28 22:45   ` Anthony Lander
From: Anthony Lander @ 2010-04-28 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: David Frascone, emacs-orgmode

On 10-Apr-28, at 4:14 PM, Matt Lundin wrote:

> David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:
>
>> 2) Which mail subsystem would be most compatible and easiest to use?
>> MH?  Gnus?  And, would it be worth the trouble setting up on a mac?
>
> You might want to check out this recent ML discussion:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/23481/focus=23588
>
> - Matt

David,

There is also org-mac-message on the mac (to work with Mail.app), and
a wrapper that I wrote which you might also find helpful at http://github.com/alander/org-mac-link-grabber

Regards,

   -Anthony

* Re: Re: Linking Mail ?
@ 2010-04-28 23:15   ` Simon Brown
From: Simon Brown @ 2010-04-28 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

At Wed, 28 Apr 2010 16:14:59 -0400,
Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
> David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:
> > 2) Which mail subsystem would be most compatible and easiest to use?
> > MH?  Gnus?  And, would it be worth the trouble setting up on a mac?
>
> You might want to check out this recent ML discussion:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/23481/focus=23588
I started that thread, the answer I suspect is simply no. Your options
are MH-E, Gnus, Wanderlust, VM and MEW. I tried Gnus, Wanderlust and
VM trying the hardest with Gnus and Wanderlust.

Gnus has a lot going for it as it is included in emacs, very active
development and I had it reading my IMAP mail very quickly. It is
however a news reader and that didn't suit me at all.

Installing Wanderlust I understand is tricky, you need to get it and
it's dependancies from the right branch from CVS as the last release
occured some time ago. I use the ubuntu wl-beta package so didn't have
to do this.

Configuration is far from trvial, my config file has 300 lines. It
took me a week of tweaking to get to a state where I was happier than
I was with my previous mail client. There are still some rough edges.

I do like and use the org integration, but have found the bigger
advantage is that I've now one less reason to leave emacs. How emacs
centric is your current computer use?

Postbox http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=94402 looks
like a very capable application. By all means try all 5 out, I suspect
though that they're not the mail clients you're looking for.

Simon

* Re: Re: Linking Mail ?
@ 2010-04-29 14:42     ` David Frascone
From: David Frascone @ 2010-04-29 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Brown; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Simon Brown <simon@cliffestones.demon.co.uk
> wrote:

> At Wed, 28 Apr 2010 16:14:59 -0400,
> Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
> > David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:
> > > 2) Which mail subsystem would be most compatible and easiest to use?
> > > MH?  Gnus?  And, would it be worth the trouble setting up on a mac?
> >
> > You might want to check out this recent ML discussion:
> >
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/23481/focus=23588
> I started that thread, the answer I suspect is simply no. Your options
> are MH-E, Gnus, Wanderlust, VM and MEW. I tried Gnus, Wanderlust and
> VM trying the hardest with Gnus and Wanderlust.
>
> Gnus has a lot going for it as it is included in emacs, very active
> development and I had it reading my IMAP mail very quickly. It is
> however a news reader and that didn't suit me at all.
>
> Installing Wanderlust I understand is tricky, you need to get it and
> it's dependancies from the right branch from CVS as the last release
> occured some time ago. I use the ubuntu wl-beta package so didn't have
> to do this.
>
> Configuration is far from trvial, my config file has 300 lines. It
> took me a week of tweaking to get to a state where I was happier than
> I was with my previous mail client. There are still some rough edges.
>
> I do like and use the org integration, but have found the bigger
> advantage is that I've now one less reason to leave emacs. How emacs
> centric is your current computer use?
>
> Postbox http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=94402 looks
> like a very capable application. By all means try all 5 out, I suspect
> though that they're not the mail clients you're looking for.

I finally got gnus working with my gmail account.  (I didn't want to try my
work account first, because too many failed logins will lock it, and I have
to call IT . . . Pain in the . . )
But, in a nutshell, it is simply WAY too slow.  I don't mind a command line
mail, though I prefer a gui with nice keyboard shutcuts.  I used mutt for
many, many years . . . . but, gnus is not mutt.  I don't think an e-macs
mail reader will really work for links, so, I'm going to be stuck with
either Mail.app, which I'd rather not go back to, or trying to make an addon
for Thunderbird / Postifx. . . sounds like it's addon time :)

But, that's secondary to actually getting org-mode integrated into my daily
life . . . . so, I'll shelve this issue for now.

-Dave

* Re: Linking Mail ?
@ 2010-04-29 15:08       ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-04-29 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Frascone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:

> I finally got gnus working with my gmail account.  (I didn't want to
> try my work account first, because too many failed logins will lock it,
> and I have to call IT . . . Pain in the . . )
> But, in a nutshell, it is simply WAY too slow.

Could you explain what was slow? I find Gnus to be as fast as any mail
reader I've used, but it all depends on how one sets it up and whether
one uses other processes to fetch mail:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSpeed

> I don't mind a command line mail, though I prefer a gui with nice
> keyboard shutcuts.  I used mutt for many, many years . . . . but, gnus
> is not mutt.  I don't think an e-macs mail reader will really work for
> links,

I do not understand what you mean here.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Linking Mail ?
@ 2010-04-29 15:09         ` David Frascone
From: David Frascone @ 2010-04-29 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:
>
> > I finally got gnus working with my gmail account.  (I didn't want to
> > try my work account first, because too many failed logins will lock it,
> > and I have to call IT . . . Pain in the . . )
> > But, in a nutshell, it is simply WAY too slow.
>
> Could you explain what was slow? I find Gnus to be as fast as any mail
> reader I've used, but it all depends on how one sets it up and whether
> one uses other processes to fetch mail:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSpeed

It's slow because I use nnimap :)

Maybe I don't need to.  I think I need nnimap so I can check mail with my
phone too.  But, perhaps I am mistaken.  Do any of you use gnus & another
device to read mail, when you're not at your computer?  If so, how do you
handle things?

> > I don't mind a command line mail, though I prefer a gui with nice
> > keyboard shutcuts.  I used mutt for many, many years . . . . but, gnus
> > is not mutt.  I don't think an e-macs mail reader will really work for
> > links,
>
> I do not understand what you mean here.

I was simply saying that I was not biased away from gnus because it wasn't
pretty.  In fact, I'm still willing to give it a shot.  Even if IMAP isn't
the best solution, I can always work out something with fetchmail /
procmail, but, I still need a way to be able to read / check e-mail on my
phone, even if it has already been gathered by fetchmail.  I used to love
the way Mail.app could download mail, but still leave it on the server for
some time . . that could be a solution, since I'm sure fetchmail can do that
too . . .

-Dave

* Re: Linking Mail ?
@ 2010-04-29 19:26           ` Rémi Vanicat
From: Rémi Vanicat @ 2010-04-29 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
>
>> David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:
>>
>> > I finally got gnus working with my gmail account.  (I didn't want to
>> > try my work account first, because too many failed logins will lock it,
>> > and I have to call IT . . . Pain in the . . )
>> > But, in a nutshell, it is simply WAY too slow.
>>
>> Could you explain what was slow? I find Gnus to be as fast as any mail
>> reader I've used, but it all depends on how one sets it up and whether
>> one uses other processes to fetch mail:
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSpeed
>>

> It's slow because I use nnimap :)

A good solution for gnus+imap is
http://sachachua.com/wp/2008/05/geek-how-to-use-offlineimap-and-the-dovecot-mail-server-to-read-your-gmail-in-emacs-efficiently/

Of course, it's way to much complicated, but it work.

--
Rémi Vanicat

* Re: Re: Linking Mail ?
@ 2010-04-29 19:54             ` John Rakestraw
From: John Rakestraw @ 2010-04-29 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010, Rémi Vanicat wrote:

> A good solution for gnus+imap is
> http://sachachua.com/wp/2008/05/geek-how-to-use-offlineimap-and-the-dovecot-mail-server-to-read-your-gmail-in-emacs-efficiently/
>
> Of course, it's way to much complicated, but it work.

I'm by no means a techie. First I used emacs occasionally as a simple text
editor. Then I stumbled onto org-mode (by way of Planner). Then I wanted
what David wants -- an integration of email with org-mode.

After some investigation, I went with gnus and a local imap server.
(Remember -- I'm not a techie.)

This howto made the process relatively painless for me:

http://jfm3-repl.blogspot.com/2008/10/no-seriously-use-gnus-for-email.html

--
John Rakestraw

* Re: Re: Linking Mail ?
@ 2010-04-30  6:59           ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-04-30  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Frascone; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode

David Frascone wrote:
>[1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
>[1.1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]

>[1.2  <text/html; ISO-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
>On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

>    David Frascone <dave@frascone.com> writes:

>    > I finally got gnus working with my gmail account.  (I didn't want to
>    > try my work account first, because too many failed logins will lock it,
>    > and I have to call IT . . . Pain in the . . )
>    > But, in a nutshell, it is simply WAY too slow.

>    Could you explain what was slow? I find Gnus to be as fast as any mail
>    reader I've used, but it all depends on how one sets it up and whether
>    one uses other processes to fetch mail:

>    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSpeed

>It's slow because I use nnimap :)

You might try to give Wanderlust a shot: It's said to be faster with
regards to IMAP.  I personally cannot compare Gnus and Wanderlust but
as a WL user I can confirm that it is at least not slow.

For a simple setup just for testing you wouldn't require much
configuration: Just put a absolute path to imap mailbox in the .folder
file:

,----
| `%' mailbox [`:' username [`/' authenticate-type]][`@' hostname][`:' port][`!']
`----
http://www.gohome.org/wl/doc/wl_19.html#SEC19

And maybe set the variables WL complains about when starting.

Ah, yes: And make sure to use the development version (2.15.x).

HTH
 -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: Re: Linking Mail ?
@ 2010-04-30  9:16             ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2010-04-30  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi.

Just for the sake of completeness: In case you like mutt, Stefano
Zacchiroli and I have come up with two slightly different ways of
integrating mutt and org-mode.

Our discussion can be found in the mailing list archives.

--
        Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs <friedel@nomaden.org>
                             TauPan on Ircnet and Freenode ;)

* Re: Re: Linking Mail ?
@ 2010-04-30 12:34             ` David Frascone
From: David Frascone @ 2010-04-30 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 2:59 AM, David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> wrote:

> You might try to give Wanderlust a shot: It's said to be faster with
> regards to IMAP.  I personally cannot compare Gnus and Wanderlust but
> as a WL user I can confirm that it is at least not slow.
>
> For a simple setup just for testing you wouldn't require much
> configuration: Just put a absolute path to imap mailbox in the .folder
> file:

I managed to get gnus working, with acceptable speed.  I first did the imap
sync, then, after getting all that working, managed to find other settings
that made it work much faster.

(Basically, it's only slow on gmail -- it works fine with my office mail)

I did have to hack starttls.el though.  My office uses imap over ssl, not
imap with starttls to start ssl, so gnutls-cli has to be called w/o the -s
flag.

Anyway, I really don't like gnus much, so, I may give WL a try.

I am still setting up orgmode the way I like it .. . finally settling down
to a routine thanks to all the useful links here.  Once I'm comfortable,
then I'll start hacking on things.  I love the idea of remember, but, I need
to get it working for external links anyway, so, there will be a lot of work
to be done, once I'm up and running.  (things to get links from mac aps
other than safari and Mail.app, I mean.  I use firefox, postbox (for now),
etc)

I will give WL a try.  If only to see if I like it.  I don't think it ships
by default, and I try to keep my emacs setup synched, and I'm not sure I
want to carry around another heavy application in my .emacs.d :)  Gnus, as
much as I don't like the interface, is at least included in all of my
emacsen :)

-Dave

* Re: Linking Mail ?
@ 2010-04-30 21:28       ` Uday S Reddy
From: Uday S Reddy @ 2010-04-30 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David Frascone wrote:

> I finally got gnus working with my gmail account.  (I didn't want to try
> my work account first, because too many failed logins will lock it, and
> I have to call IT . . . Pain in the . . )
> But, in a nutshell, it is simply WAY too slow.  I don't mind a command
> line mail, though I prefer a gui with nice keyboard shutcuts.  I used
> mutt for many, many years . . . . but, gnus is not mutt.  I don't think
> an e-macs mail reader will really work for links, so, I'm going to be
> stuck with either Mail.app, which I'd rather not go back to, or trying
> to make an addon for Thunderbird / Postifx. . . sounds like it's addon
> time :)

Dear David and Org mode users,

I mentioned in an earlier thread that VM version 8.1.1 will support links to IMAP messages.  That has now been released.  Please download it from here:

  https://launchpad.net/vm

I am a beginning Org-mode user myself and have an interest in adding features that integrate VM and Org-mode more closely.  So, I would welcome participation from the seasoned Org-mode users.

This release has an enhanced org-vm.el file in the contrib directory, which you need to use to create links to IMAP mail.  (You can copy the file to your org-mode/lisp directory or any other elisp directory on your load-path.)  I will be submitting the enhancements to org-mode once VM 8.1.1 is settled into circulation.

--

As for using Mutt with Org-mode, I hope you are familiar with this work?

  http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2010/02/integrating_Mutt_with_Org-mode/

Cheers,
Uday