* org-startup-indented shifts columns in column-view
@ 2010-07-06 19:55 Julien Fantin
From: Julien Fantin @ 2010-07-06 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been using the org-startup-indented and org-adapt-indentation variables
for sometime, but I just realized that org-startup-indented when set to
true, ends up shifting the cloumns in column-view according to the headline
level.

So headline 2 is shifted by 1 character to the right, headline 3 by 2
characters and so forth.

Is this the expected behaviour ? I hope not, because I'd like to use both
features, but it makes the column-view quite impractical.

Cheers !

* Re: org-startup-indented shifts columns in column-view
@ 2010-07-13 12:14 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-07-13 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Fantin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 6, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Julien Fantin wrote:

> I've been using the org-startup-indented and org-adapt-indentation
> variables for sometime, but I just realized that org-startup-
> indented when set to true, ends up shifting the cloumns in column-
> view according to the headline level.
>
> So headline 2 is shifted by 1 character to the right, headline 3 by
> 2 characters and so forth.
>
> Is this the expected behaviour ? I hope not, because I'd like to use
> both features, but it makes the column-view quite impractical.

Hi Julien,

this is indeed a bug.  As it is not trivial to fix it,
I will only be able to get to it after the release.
As a work-around for now, turn off org-indent-mode before
switching to column view.

- Carsten

* Re: org-startup-indented shifts columns in column-view
@ 2010-07-13 15:11   ` Julien Fantin
From: Julien Fantin @ 2010-07-13 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for noticing Dominik,

Reverting back to regular indentation is what I've done, however, I'm
afraid I have something else to report on that...
I mentionned this  issue in a separate thread :
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/27388/

cheers

@ 2010-07-22  8:14     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-07-22  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Fantin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 13, 2010, at 5:11 PM, Julien Fantin wrote:

> Thanks for noticing Dominik,
>
> Reverting back to regular indentation is what I've done,

THis is not what I mean.

What I mean is that you can turn off org-indent-mode just while you
use column view.  Basically, define yourself a function key to toggle
org-indent-mode, and turn it off before entering column view,
and on afterwards.  Very likely, the fix for this issue will eventually
do this automatically, but it is not trivial to do this and make sure
that everything else will still work correctly.  Will be a while
before I get to this.

> however, I'm
> afraid I have something else to report on that...
> I mentionned this  issue in a separate thread :
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/27388/

I hope that Dan Davison will find time to look into this question.

- Carsten

> cheers
>
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Carsten Dominik
> <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 6, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Julien Fantin wrote:
>>
>>> I've been using the org-startup-indented and org-adapt-indentation
>>> variables for sometime, but I just realized that org-startup-
>>> indented when
>>> set to true, ends up shifting the cloumns in column-view according
>>> to the
>>> headline level.
>>>
>>> So headline 2 is shifted by 1 character to the right, headline 3
>>> by 2
>>> characters and so forth.
>>>
>>> Is this the expected behaviour ? I hope not, because I'd like to
>>> use both
>>> features, but it makes the column-view quite impractical.
>>
>> Hi Julien,
>>
>> this is indeed a bug.  As it is not trivial to fix it,
>> I will only be able to get to it after the release.
>> As a work-around for now, turn off org-indent-mode before
>> switching to column view.
>>
>> - Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: org-startup-indented shifts columns in column-view
@ 2010-07-22  8:45       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-07-22  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Julien Fantin

On Jul 22, 2010, at 10:14 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2010, at 5:11 PM, Julien Fantin wrote:
>
>> Thanks for noticing Dominik,
>>
>> Reverting back to regular indentation is what I've done,
>
> THis is not what I mean.
>
> What I mean is that you can turn off org-indent-mode just while you
> use column view.  Basically, define yourself a function key to toggle
> org-indent-mode, and turn it off before entering column view,
> and on afterwards.  Very likely, the fix for this issue will
> eventually
> do this automatically, but it is not trivial to do this and make sure
> that everything else will still work correctly.  Will be a while
> before I get to this.

Just minutes after sending this message I realized, that there is
a simple way to fix this issue, by overruling the line-prefix and
wrap-prefix text properties in the overlays that are used
for column view. Works like a charm, and is a very simple fix.

- Carsten

>> however, I'm
>> afraid I have something else to report on that...
>> I mentionned this  issue in a separate thread :
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/27388/
>
> I hope that Dan Davison will find time to look into this question.
>
> - Carsten
>

>> cheers
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Carsten Dominik
>> <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Julien,
>>>
>>> this is indeed a bug.  As it is not trivial to fix it,
>>> I will only be able to get to it after the release.
>>> As a work-around for now, turn off org-indent-mode before
>>> switching to column view.
>>>
>>> - Carsten
>>>

> - Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: org-startup-indented shifts columns in column-view
@ 2010-07-22 10:57         ` Julien Fantin
From: Julien Fantin @ 2010-07-22 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Great job Dominik,

I have in fact went the true indentation way since then, and don't
miss org-indent-mode actually.

I've managed to get the src blocks to behave the same way, by seting
org-preserve-indentation to nil and org-edit-src-content to 0. So what
I described in the other thread is actually a non-issue, and could be
adapted with proper configuration settings.

All in all this is very nice, I was just a few tweaks away from
getting the almost exact same beahviour without using org-indent-mode,
and I like the idea of looking at the actual file without any magic.
I was also pleasantly surprised to find out that the indentation is
automatically adapted on headlines promotion and demotion commands.

Org-mode never ceases to amaze...

Cheers

@ 2010-07-22 13:07           ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-07-22 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Fantin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Julien Fantin <julien.fantin@gmail.com> writes:

> Great job Dominik,
>
> I have in fact went the true indentation way since then, and don't
> miss org-indent-mode actually.
>
> I've managed to get the src blocks to behave the same way, by seting
> org-preserve-indentation to nil and org-edit-src-content to 0. So what
> I described in the other thread is actually a non-issue, and could be
> adapted with proper configuration settings.

Hi Julien,

Glad to hear that. Let us know if any problems with this turn up.

Personally I tried out org-indent mode a few months ago, and haven't
turned it off yet. I quite like some aspects of the way it feels "alive"
-- e.g. when I re-execute a src block, I get a visual indicator that it
has finished when the results line quickly ducks to the left and then
back to the right again.

Dan