* verbatim =[[link]]= and code ~[[link]]~ render as links
       [not found] <1145586952.1831161.1502199551475.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-08-08 13:39 ` Wolfram Volpi
From: Wolfram Volpi @ 2017-08-08 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

org-mode renders links in verbatim and code as links:

verbatim: =[[link]]=

code:     ~[[link]]~

They should be rendered as plain text.

I am running org-version 9.0.9.

#### System Info :computer:

- OS: gnu/linux

- Emacs: 25.2.1

- Spacemacs: 0.200.9

- Spacemacs branch: master (rev. 8e1af145)

- Graphic display: t

- Editing style: vim

- Completion: ivy

- Layers:

```elisp

(ivy evil-snipe emacs-lisp org spell-checking)

```

- System configuration features: XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES XWIDGETS

Wolfram Volpi

* Re: verbatim =[[link]]= and code ~[[link]]~ render as links
@ 2017-08-08 15:06   ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2017-08-08 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Wolfram Volpi <wolf_volpi@yahoo.com> writes:

> org-mode renders links in verbatim and code as links:
>
> verbatim: =[[link]]=
>
> code:     ~[[link]]~
>
> They should be rendered as plain text.

Hi Wolfram,

Why do you think they should be rendered as plain text instead of as
links?  I use verbatim/code-styled links often in documentation, and I
would not want them to be displayed as plain-text; I want them to be
rendered as links, because they are.  :)

* Re: verbatim =[[link]]= and code ~[[link]]~ render as links
@ 2017-08-08 15:35     ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-08-08 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter, emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 11:07 AM Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> wrote:

> Wolfram Volpi <wolf_volpi@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > org-mode renders links in verbatim and code as links:
> >
> > verbatim: =[[link]]=
> >
> > code:     ~[[link]]~
> >
> > They should be rendered as plain text.
>
> Hi Wolfram,
>
> Why do you think they should be rendered as plain text instead of as
> links?  I use verbatim/code-styled links often in documentation, and I
> would not want them to be displayed as plain-text; I want them to be
> rendered as links, because they are.  :)

 Are you referring to:

[[https://www.example.com][=verbatim link descr=]]

?

Because I use that all the time to show links to code like .el files.

Regarding Wolfram's suggestion.. it makes sense that if someone wants to
show the Org link representation verbatim, it should be possible.

--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: verbatim =[[link]]= and code ~[[link]]~ render as links
@ 2017-08-08 16:06       ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2017-08-08 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> Are you referring to:
>
> [[https://www.example.com][=verbatim link descr=]]
>
> ?

Well, here's what I've noticed:

+ [[https://www.example.com][=verbatim link descr=]]
  - Renders in the Emacs buffer as a link, colored as a link rather than
    a code block, with visible =description=.
  - Renders on GitHub as <a...>=description=</a>, which is incorrect

+ =[[https://www.example.com][verbatim link descr]]=
  - Renders in the Emacs buffer as a link with the same color as other
    =code= blocks.
  - Exports to HTML as <code>[[https://www.example.com][verbatim link
    descr]]</code>, which I guess makes sense.
  - Renders on GitHub as <code>[[https://www.example.com][verbatim link
    descr]]</code>, which is consistent.

So maybe Wolfram is right here, and the the problems are with the way
the ...[=description=]] links are rendered in Emacs and on GitHub.

* Re: verbatim =[[link]]= and code ~[[link]]~ render as links
@ 2017-08-08 17:27         ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-08-08 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter, emacs-org list

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017, 1:02 PM Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> wrote:

> Well, here's what I've noticed:

My observations have been the same. I strongly believe that GitHub needs to
fix their parsing of Org verbatim/code text.

Here's another similar problem with GitHub rendering Org verbatim, in
tables:
https://github.com/kaushalmodi/ox-hugo/blob/master/README.org#formatting

Note the ==monospace== text in the table.

So maybe Wolfram is right here, and the the problems are with the way
> the ...[=description=]] links are rendered in Emacs and on GitHub.

Yup. Another reason to believe so is that

[[https://www.example.com][=description=]]

is equivalent to

[`description`](https://www.example.com)

in Markdown, and GitHub renders the Markdown version fine.

Also, below won't be rendered as a link :)

`[description](https://www.example.com)`

> --

Kaushal Modi

* Re: verbatim =[[link]]= and code ~[[link]]~ render as links
       [not found] <1686732720.791601.1502323347465.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-08-10  0:02 ` Wolfram Volpi
From: Wolfram Volpi @ 2017-08-10  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

>>Wolfram Volpi <address@hidden> writes:

>> org-mode renders links in verbatim and code as links:
>>
>> verbatim: =[[link]]=
>>
>> code:     ~[[link]]~
>>
>> They should be rendered as plain text.

>On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 11:07 AM Adam Porter <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>Hi Wolfram,
>
>Why do you think they should be rendered as plain text instead of as
>links?  I use verbatim/code-styled links often in documentation, and I
>would not want them to be displayed as plain-text; I want them to be
>rendered as links, because they are.  :)

I didn't realize that links inside verbatum are a useful way to refer to source.
Maybe just update the documentation to be in agreement with the behavior:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Emphasis-and-monospace.html

 Wolfram Volpi