* org-map-entries but with arguments?
@ 2019-09-18 18:51 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2019-09-18 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Is there a lisp trick for adding arguments to the function called by
`org-map-entries`?

I have the following function:

(cl-defun org-lms-return-all-assignments (&optional (send-all nil)
(also-mail nil) (post-to-lms t) )
  "By default mail all subtrees 'READY' to student recipients, unless
SEND-ALL is non-nil.
In that case, send all marked 'READY' or 'TODO'."
  (interactive)
  (message "Mailing all READY subtrees to students")
  (let ((send-condition
         (if send-all
             `(or (string= (org-element-property :todo-keyword item)
"READY")
                  (string= (org-element-property :todo-keyword item)
"TODO") )
           `(string= (org-element-property :todo-keyword item) "READY")
           )))
    (org-map-entries
     #'ol-send-just-one))
  (org-cycle-hide-drawers 'all))

I'd like to relay some of hte functions arguments to the one called
internally to do the work.  ~(ol-send-just-one~ takes an ~also-mail~ and a
~post-to-lms~ parameter,just like ~org-lms-return-all-assignments~, but I'm
not sure how to trick org-map-entries into passing those arguments on. Any
hints?  Thank you!

* Re: org-map-entries but with arguments?
@ 2019-09-18 21:30 ` Adam Porter
       [not found]   ` <CAN_Dec8gBJ9+A+tvhDzGVwcMV7NmMRj=UMfLQyrDr51NtAabgA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Adam Porter @ 2019-09-18 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a lisp trick for adding arguments to the function called by
> `org-map-entries`?
>
> I have the following function:
>
> (cl-defun org-lms-return-all-assignments (&optional (send-all nil) (also-mail nil) (post-to-lms t) )
>   "By default mail all subtrees 'READY' to student recipients, unless SEND-ALL is non-nil.
> In that case, send all marked 'READY' or 'TODO'."
>   (interactive)
>   (message "Mailing all READY subtrees to students")
>   (let ((send-condition
>          (if send-all
>              `(or (string= (org-element-property :todo-keyword item) "READY")
>                   (string= (org-element-property :todo-keyword item) "TODO") )
>            `(string= (org-element-property :todo-keyword item) "READY")
>            )))
>     (org-map-entries
>      #'ol-send-just-one))
>   (org-cycle-hide-drawers 'all))
>
> I'd like to relay some of hte functions arguments to the one called
> internally to do the work.  ~(ol-send-just-one~ takes an ~also-mail~
> and a ~post-to-lms~ parameter,just like
> ~org-lms-return-all-assignments~, but I'm not sure how to trick
> org-map-entries into passing those arguments on. Any hints?  Thank
> you!

Hi Matt,

If I may, I think org-ql can help you here.  It should also work much
faster than org-map-entries, because it can skip to entries with the
desired to-do keywords (although you could also use the MATCH argument
to org-map-entries to improve its speed).  Try this function (untested):

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
(cl-defun org-lms-return-all-assignments-ql (&optional (send-all nil) (also-mail nil) (post-to-lms t))
  "By default mail all subtrees 'READY' to student recipients, unless SEND-ALL is non-nil.
In that case, send all marked 'READY' or 'TODO'."
  (interactive)
  (message "Mailing all READY subtrees to students")
  (let ((todo-keywords (if send-all
                           '("READY" "TODO")
                         '("READY"))))
    (org-ql-select (current-buffer)
      `(todo ,@todo-keywords)
      :action `(ol-send-just-one ,also-mail ,post-to-lms))))
#+END_SRC

* Re: org-map-entries but with arguments?
@ 2019-09-18 23:28 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2019-09-18 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

I guess this information should be accessible in the entry where the
function is called, e.g. by a property (that may be inherited or set in the
file). then in your function just get the property values and do what you
want. Alternatively, you can probably do this with global (or maybe
lexically let) variables.

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2019-09-19  1:10     ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2019-09-19  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter, Org Mode

Sorry, replied to Adam directly by accident.

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 8:32 PM Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 5:31 PM Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> wrote:
>
>> Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Is there a lisp trick for adding arguments to the function called by
>> > `org-map-entries`?
>> >
>> > I have the following function:
>> >
>> > (cl-defun org-lms-return-all-assignments (&optional (send-all nil)
>> (also-mail nil) (post-to-lms t) )
>> >   "By default mail all subtrees 'READY' to student recipients, unless
>> SEND-ALL is non-nil.
>> > In that case, send all marked 'READY' or 'TODO'."
>> >   (interactive)
>> >   (message "Mailing all READY subtrees to students")
>> >   (let ((send-condition
>> >          (if send-all
>> >              `(or (string= (org-element-property :todo-keyword item)
>> "READY")
>> >                   (string= (org-element-property :todo-keyword item)
>> "TODO") )
>> >            `(string= (org-element-property :todo-keyword item) "READY")
>> >            )))
>> >     (org-map-entries
>> >      #'ol-send-just-one))
>> >   (org-cycle-hide-drawers 'all))
>> >
>> > I'd like to relay some of hte functions arguments to the one called
>> > internally to do the work.  ~(ol-send-just-one~ takes an ~also-mail~
>> > and a ~post-to-lms~ parameter,just like
>> > ~org-lms-return-all-assignments~, but I'm not sure how to trick
>> > org-map-entries into passing those arguments on. Any hints?  Thank
>> > you!
>>
>> Hi Matt,
>>
>> If I may, I think org-ql can help you here.  It should also work much
>> faster than org-map-entries, because it can skip to entries with the
>> desired to-do keywords (although you could also use the MATCH argument
>> to org-map-entries to improve its speed).  Try this function (untested):
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC elisp
>> (cl-defun org-lms-return-all-assignments-ql (&optional (send-all nil)
>> (also-mail nil) (post-to-lms t))
>>   "By default mail all subtrees 'READY' to student recipients, unless
>> SEND-ALL is non-nil.
>> In that case, send all marked 'READY' or 'TODO'."
>>   (interactive)
>>   (message "Mailing all READY subtrees to students")
>>   (let ((todo-keywords (if send-all
>>                            '("READY" "TODO")
>>                          '("READY"))))
>>     (org-ql-select (current-buffer)
>>       `(todo ,@todo-keywords)
>>       :action `(ol-send-just-one ,also-mail ,post-to-lms))))
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> OK, this is pretty cool, thank you.  I took John's excellent suggestion
> of using a headline property to store the appropriate actions, but it makes
> sense to switch to org-ql if I can master the syntax (which seems awfully
> powerful).  One questions: does org-ql-select respect buffer narrowing?
> That would be important for me.
>
> Man, hard to hold all this stuff in my head.  ANd very hard to navigate my
> own code now that I see how ugly it is.

Another question.  In place of a function or sexp,  the :action key accepts
the keyword "element" as a value, and will return a parsed headline. Is it
possible to then pass that value on to a function that will be evaluated?
I'm asking because I have a bunch of functions with very long `let`
sections in which information is extracted from a headline with
(org-entry-get). It would be nice to use John's plist trick (from the other
thread we're on) to, essentially, let-plist all the properties of the
headline. It would declutter my code significantly.

* Re: org-map-entries but with arguments?
@ 2019-09-19  1:34       ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2019-09-19  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

>  OK, this is pretty cool, thank you.  I took John's excellent
>  suggestion of using a headline property to store the appropriate
>  actions, but it makes sense to switch to org-ql if I can master the
>  syntax (which seems awfully powerful).  One questions: does
>  org-ql-select respect buffer narrowing? That would be important for
>  me.

Yes, just pass the argument ":narrow t".  Take a look at the examples
and documentation, you can do a bunch of things.  :)

> Another question.  In place of a function or sexp, the :action key
> accepts the keyword "element" as a value, and will return a parsed
> headline. Is it possible to then pass that value on to a function that
> will be evaluated? I'm asking because I have a bunch of functions with
> very long `let` sections in which information is extracted from a
> headline with (org-entry-get).

There are a few ways to do something like that:

1.  Just call functions like org-entry-get from the action function
(which is called with point at each match).  For simple things, this is
the simplest way.

2.  In a custom action function, do what the "element" action does, i.e.
(org-element-headline-parser (line-end-position)), then do whatever you
need with the resulting element.

3.  Collect the elements into a list (i.e. use ":action 'element") and
map across it.  Since that requires more consing, it will probably be
slower, but likely not a performance problem in most cases.

> It would be nice to use John's plist trick (from the other thread
> we're on) to, essentially, let-plist all the properties of the
> headline. It would declutter my code significantly.

You'll probably want to use -let from dash.el, with its &plist or &keys
destructuring.  &plist was added to -let since John wrote that article,
and it also gives you all the other powerful features of -let.  It works
well and is fast.  You could also use pcase-let*'s destructuring, which
is built-in to Emacs, but its syntax is a bit more complex.

* Re: org-map-entries but with arguments?
@ 2019-09-19  1:42       ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2019-09-19  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Adam Porter, Org Mode

You can get an alist of all the properties in an entry with
org-entry-properties, and then you can let-alist these, or do something
else. Here is an example that might be related.

* test
  :PROPERTIES:
  :some-random-property: True
  :END:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results code
(org-entry-properties)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(("CATEGORY" . "2019-09-18 21:33")
 ("SOME-RANDOM-PROPERTY" . "True")
 ("BLOCKED" . "")
 ("FILE" . "/Users/jkitchin/Box
Sync/kitchingroup/jkitchin/journal/2019/09/18 21:33/2019-09-18 21:33.org")
 ("PRIORITY" . "B")
 ("ITEM" . "test"))
#+end_src

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(let-alist (cl-loop for (key . value) in (org-entry-properties)
   collect (cons (intern key) value))
 .SOME-RANDOM-PROPERTY)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS: