Org-mode mailing list
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* The Website Revamp: The final stretch
@ 2020-09-22 14:11 TEC
  2020-09-22 14:58 ` Palak Mathur
                   ` (8 more replies)
  0 siblings, 9 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: TEC @ 2020-09-22 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 975 bytes --]

Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that after chatting with Bastien, my 
little
revamp project seems to be nearing the point where it may replace 
the
current site.

Two things that would be good to get sorted:
 1. Translation of the index page to French/Japanese ::
    I'm english only, and Bastien is busy, so volunteers would be 
    much appreciated!
 2. Picking the best 'Hero banner' on the home page ::
    Concerns were raised over the lack of contrast between the 
    logo and
    the current banner background. I've chatted to someone else 
    with
    some ideas and we've produced a few concepts which we'd like 
    to get
    your feedback on.
    See the file attached, and if you could give say your top 
    three
    picks (ordered), and any relevant 
    reasoning/considerations/comments
    that would be great!

All the best,

Timothy.

p.s. I haven't had much luck with attachments in the past, if this 
fails
I'll reply with the attachment.


[-- Attachment #2: OrgWebsiteHeroConcepts --]
[-- Type: application/pdf, Size: 9249522 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-22 14:11 The Website Revamp: The final stretch TEC
@ 2020-09-22 14:58 ` Palak Mathur
  2020-09-22 15:10   ` TEC
  2020-09-22 15:17 ` Stefan Nobis
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
  8 siblings, 1 reply; 29+ messages in thread
From: Palak Mathur @ 2020-09-22 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: org-mode-email



Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 22, 2020, at 9:31 AM, TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> Hello everyone,
> 
> I'm pleased to announce that after chatting with Bastien, my little
> revamp project seems to be nearing the point where it may replace the
> current site.
> 
> Two things that would be good to get sorted:
> 1. Translation of the index page to French/Japanese ::
> I'm english only, and Bastien is busy, so volunteers would be    much appreciated!
> 2. Picking the best 'Hero banner' on the home page ::
> Concerns were raised over the lack of contrast between the    logo and
> the current banner background. I've chatted to someone else    with
> some ideas and we've produced a few concepts which we'd like    to get
> your feedback on.
> See the file attached, and if you could give say your top    three
> picks (ordered), and any relevant    reasoning/considerations/comments
> that would be great!

I liked 3.1, 1.2 and 2.2 in that order. The reason for 3.1 it gives contrast between the navigation panel, banner and highlights the request for Donations. 


> All the best,
> 
> Timothy.
> 
> p.s. I haven't had much luck with attachments in the past, if this fails
> I'll reply with the attachment.
> 
> <OrgMode.pdf>


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-22 14:58 ` Palak Mathur
@ 2020-09-22 15:10   ` TEC
  2020-09-23 12:14     ` Eric S Fraga
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 29+ messages in thread
From: TEC @ 2020-09-22 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Palak Mathur; +Cc: org-mode-email


Palak Mathur <palakmathur@gmail.com> writes:

> I liked 3.1, 1.2 and 2.2 in that order. The reason for 3.1 it gives
> contrast between the navigation panel, banner and highlights the
> request for Donations.

Thanks!

FWI I'm putting positions on
https://orgmode.tecosaur.com/colophon.html#theme-votes

Much appreciated,

Timothy.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-22 14:11 The Website Revamp: The final stretch TEC
  2020-09-22 14:58 ` Palak Mathur
@ 2020-09-22 15:17 ` Stefan Nobis
  2020-09-22 16:40   ` Devin Prater
  2020-09-22 16:03 ` Nicolas Goaziou
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
  8 siblings, 1 reply; 29+ messages in thread
From: Stefan Nobis @ 2020-09-22 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> 2. Picking the best 'Hero banner' on the home page ::

I like Variant 1-1 the most - all other variants are a bit too big and
yelling for my eyes.

Maybe use size and layout of Variant 1-1 with colors of the last
variant (page 9, gray background)?

-- 
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-22 14:11 The Website Revamp: The final stretch TEC
  2020-09-22 14:58 ` Palak Mathur
  2020-09-22 15:17 ` Stefan Nobis
@ 2020-09-22 16:03 ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2020-09-22 16:10   ` TEC
  2020-09-22 17:22 ` Dominik Schrempf
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
  8 siblings, 1 reply; 29+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-09-22 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hello,

TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm pleased to announce that after chatting with Bastien, my little
> revamp project seems to be nearing the point where it may replace the
> current site.
>
> Two things that would be good to get sorted:
> 1. Translation of the index page to French/Japanese ::
>    I'm english only, and Bastien is busy, so volunteers would be
>    much appreciated!
> 2. Picking the best 'Hero banner' on the home page ::
>    Concerns were raised over the lack of contrast between the     logo
>   and
>    the current banner background. I've chatted to someone else
>    with
>    some ideas and we've produced a few concepts which we'd like     to
>   get
>    your feedback on.

Nitpick: It's Org mode (or Org Mode though I prefer the former), but not
Org-Mode (or Org-mode).

I'm not sure the subtitles behind "Features", "Install", ..., are
useful. Worse, I have some feeling they could give a wrong impression
about the software.

It doesn't look bad, BTW.

Regards,
-- 
Nicolas Goaziou


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-22 16:03 ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2020-09-22 16:10   ` TEC
  2020-09-22 20:38     ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 29+ messages in thread
From: TEC @ 2020-09-22 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: org-mode-email


Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

> Nitpick: It's Org mode (or Org Mode though I prefer the former), but not
> Org-Mode (or Org-mode).

Fixed (Sentence Case).

> I'm not sure the subtitles behind "Features", "Install", ..., are
> useful. Worse, I have some feeling they could give a wrong impression
> about the software.

Yea, they were just placeholders till I came up with anything better. I
haven't, and nobody else has given me improvements, so they haven't
changed.

If you have any suggestions, that would be great :)

> It doesn't look bad, BTW.

Good to hear, and thanks for your thoughts,

Timothy.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-22 15:17 ` Stefan Nobis
@ 2020-09-22 16:40   ` Devin Prater
  2020-09-23  7:02     ` Bastien
  2020-09-24 11:02     ` TEC
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: Devin Prater @ 2020-09-22 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2145 bytes --]

I'm just going over the site to check accessibility with screenn readers,
and here are a few things I've found:

On https://orgmode.tecosaur.com/features.html:

The first figure is not labeled, so I do not know what it is. The second
figure is just labeled "babel.gif", which doesn't tell me much (pretending
to be some one who knows nothing of Org-mode). After the "Collapsable
Editing" heading, that figure is labeled "folding.gif" which is slightly
better, but could be described much more, and without the .gif extension in
the alt-text.
After the "Task Management" heading, this figure likewise isn't described,
only having its file name, "planning.gif", as the alt-text or description.
After the "tables" heading, the figure, tables.gif, should be described
using Alt-text instead of just leaving the file name there.
After the "publishing" heading, the "exports.gif" figure should be
described. Also after that heading, in the list of export formats, the
second item just says "clickable" as the list item.
After the "Extensibility" heading, the figure does not even have a file
name as its Alt-text. After the "Time Tracking (Clocking)", the figure has
no Alt-text. After the "Agendas" heading, the figure has no Alt-text.
After the "Capturing" heading, the figure only has "capturing.gif" as the
Alt-text. After the "With your mobile phone" heading, the figure below has
"beorg.png" as the Alt-text.

Also, I cannot find the area to view the Org-mode source of a page.
Basically, describe the figures, don't just leave the description as the
file name. I tested this with Google Chrome 85, and the NVDA
<https://www.nvaccess.org/> screen reader. The rest of the site looks good.



Devin Prater
sent from Gmail.


On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 11:13 AM Stefan Nobis <stefan-ml@snobis.de> wrote:

> TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > 2. Picking the best 'Hero banner' on the home page ::
>
> I like Variant 1-1 the most - all other variants are a bit too big and
> yelling for my eyes.
>
> Maybe use size and layout of Variant 1-1 with colors of the last
> variant (page 9, gray background)?
>
> --
> Until the next mail...,
> Stefan.
>
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 3148 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-22 14:11 The Website Revamp: The final stretch TEC
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
  2020-09-22 16:03 ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2020-09-22 17:22 ` Dominik Schrempf
  2020-09-23  7:01 ` Bastien
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
  8 siblings, 0 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: Dominik Schrempf @ 2020-09-22 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

thank you very much for working on the new Org Mode web site!

Just one thing which might already have been said:

The scrolling is weird. I use keys to scroll the browser, and there is a delay
and some weird smooth scrolling behavior. Is this desired?

Thanks,
Dominik

TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm pleased to announce that after chatting with Bastien, my little
> revamp project seems to be nearing the point where it may replace the
> current site.
>
> Two things that would be good to get sorted:
> 1. Translation of the index page to French/Japanese ::
>    I'm english only, and Bastien is busy, so volunteers would be     much
>   appreciated!
> 2. Picking the best 'Hero banner' on the home page ::
>    Concerns were raised over the lack of contrast between the     logo and
>    the current banner background. I've chatted to someone else     with
>    some ideas and we've produced a few concepts which we'd like     to get
>    your feedback on.
>    See the file attached, and if you could give say your top     three
>    picks (ordered), and any relevant     reasoning/considerations/comments
>    that would be great!
>
> All the best,
>
> Timothy.
>
> p.s. I haven't had much luck with attachments in the past, if this fails
> I'll reply with the attachment.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-22 16:10   ` TEC
@ 2020-09-22 20:38     ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-09-22 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hello,

TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Yea, they were just placeholders till I came up with anything better. I
> haven't, and nobody else has given me improvements, so they haven't
> changed.
>
> If you have any suggestions, that would be great :)

Sure. "If you don't know what to play, play nothing." 

Just let them go.

Regards,
-- 
Nicolas Goaziou


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-22 14:11 The Website Revamp: The final stretch TEC
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
  2020-09-22 17:22 ` Dominik Schrempf
@ 2020-09-23  7:01 ` Bastien
  2020-09-23 16:00   ` Timothy E Chapman
  2020-09-23  7:08 ` Lars Chr. Duus Hausmann
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
  8 siblings, 1 reply; 29+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-23  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: org-mode-email

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 190 bytes --]

Hi Timothy,

thanks for all your work!

The only variant that I like is 2-1.

Also, let's remove the mini-unicorn in the top bar, it is redundant
and reminds me of the opening of IT Crowd.


[-- Attachment #2: picture.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 59495 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: Type: text/plain, Size: 868 bytes --]


:)

For the translations, as discussed IRL, we don't need to translate
everything, perhaps just the index page would do.

Let me restate some of the directions I shared with you privately:

- I believe there are too many pages: I'd love the website to be just
  one HTML page.  Rich contents should go to Worg and yes, we need to
  upgrade Worg's design too. Let's try moving such contents to Worg as
  soon as we can -- but this is not a blocker for the switch.

- For the manual, I'd prefer to use the same design that the one used
  on the gnu.org website:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/org/index.html

  The proposed one (https://orgmode.tecosaur.com/manual) looks good
  but it is too fancy and too narrow.  This is a blocker.

That's all for me -- thanks again!  Happy to help with the switch
when blockers are behind us.

-- 
 Bastien

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-22 16:40   ` Devin Prater
@ 2020-09-23  7:02     ` Bastien
  2020-09-24 11:02     ` TEC
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-23  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Prater; +Cc: emacs-org list

Hi Devin,

Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm just going over the site to check accessibility with screenn
> readers

Thanks for reporting these issues, we need to make the website fully
accessible before making the switch.

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-22 14:11 The Website Revamp: The final stretch TEC
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
  2020-09-23  7:01 ` Bastien
@ 2020-09-23  7:08 ` Lars Chr. Duus Hausmann
  2020-09-23 14:29 ` Takaaki Ishikawa
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
  8 siblings, 0 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: Lars Chr. Duus Hausmann @ 2020-09-23  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm pleased to announce that after chatting with Bastien, my 
> little
> revamp project seems to be nearing the point where it may 
> replace the
> current site.
>
> Two things that would be good to get sorted:
> 1. Translation of the index page to French/Japanese ::
>    I'm english only, and Bastien is busy, so volunteers would be
>    much appreciated!

Is there a specific set of languages, that is/must be
supported. Otherwise - depending on the format, I could do a 
Danish
translation, when English pages are in place.

[....]

/LCH


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-22 15:10   ` TEC
@ 2020-09-23 12:14     ` Eric S Fraga
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-09-23 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: org-mode-email, Palak Mathur

2-1 for me.
-- 
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4-18-gaea110


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-22 14:11 The Website Revamp: The final stretch TEC
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
  2020-09-23  7:08 ` Lars Chr. Duus Hausmann
@ 2020-09-23 14:29 ` Takaaki Ishikawa
  2020-09-24 11:25 ` Greg Newman
  2020-09-24 13:20 ` TEC
  8 siblings, 0 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: Takaaki Ishikawa @ 2020-09-23 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: org-mode-email

Dear Timothy,

I can provide Japanese translated webpages.
Currently, I have a permission to push translated pages in Japanese to
orgmode.org but I don't understand where you are working on for the
new website.
Could you provide me further information to help you? Email to me is welcome :)

Best regards,
Takaaki


Takaaki ISHIKAWA <takaxp@ieee.org>

2020年9月23日(水) 0:01 TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com>:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm pleased to announce that after chatting with Bastien, my
> little
> revamp project seems to be nearing the point where it may replace
> the
> current site.
>
> Two things that would be good to get sorted:
>  1. Translation of the index page to French/Japanese ::
>     I'm english only, and Bastien is busy, so volunteers would be
>     much appreciated!
>  2. Picking the best 'Hero banner' on the home page ::
>     Concerns were raised over the lack of contrast between the
>     logo and
>     the current banner background. I've chatted to someone else
>     with
>     some ideas and we've produced a few concepts which we'd like
>     to get
>     your feedback on.
>     See the file attached, and if you could give say your top
>     three
>     picks (ordered), and any relevant
>     reasoning/considerations/comments
>     that would be great!
>
> All the best,
>
> Timothy.
>
> p.s. I haven't had much luck with attachments in the past, if this
> fails
> I'll reply with the attachment.
>


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-23  7:01 ` Bastien
@ 2020-09-23 16:00   ` Timothy E Chapman
  2020-09-24  9:52     ` David Arroyo Menendez
  2020-09-24  9:55     ` David Arroyo Menendez
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: Timothy E Chapman @ 2020-09-23 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hi Bastien,

Just remembered I haven't addressed everything you mentioned here.

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> Also, let's remove the mini-unicorn in the top bar, it is redundant
> and reminds me of the opening of IT Crowd.

Ah yes, I see the resemblance :P I'm not sure this is a good idea though, as
while this can be seen as redundant on the homepage, the navbar is used on
every page. Considering that this is a site to help people learn about Org,
I think that the visual consistency of having it on every page, and
how that helps reinforce the association between Org and that logo is worth it.
Having it regularly appear should help it stick.

> - I believe there are too many pages: I'd love the website to be just
>   one HTML page.  Rich contents should go to Worg and yes, we need to
>   upgrade Worg's design too. Let's try moving such contents to Worg as
>   soon as we can -- but this is not a blocker for the switch.

I think a single page might be a bit further than ideal, as I see it a
'core' of static pages
for orgmode.org would be
 - index/homepage
 - features
 - quickstart
 - install

How does that sound to you? Of course, all of this migration to Worg
can happen after an iniIal switch.

> - For the manual, I'd prefer to use the same design that the one used
>   on the gnu.org website:

This is quite easy (and not actually part of this branch), I think we
just need to pass
--css-ref "https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual.css"
to the makeinfo/texi2any/texi2html command in
https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/src/master/doc/Makefile

All the best,

Timothy.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-23 16:00   ` Timothy E Chapman
@ 2020-09-24  9:52     ` David Arroyo Menendez
  2020-09-24  9:55     ` David Arroyo Menendez
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: David Arroyo Menendez @ 2020-09-24  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy E Chapman; +Cc: bzg, emacs-orgmode

Timothy E Chapman <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Bastien,
>
> Just remembered I haven't addressed everything you mentioned here.
>
> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Also, let's remove the mini-unicorn in the top bar, it is redundant
>> and reminds me of the opening of IT Crowd.
>
> Ah yes, I see the resemblance :P I'm not sure this is a good idea though, as
> while this can be seen as redundant on the homepage, the navbar is used on
> every page. Considering that this is a site to help people learn about Org,
> I think that the visual consistency of having it on every page, and
> how that helps reinforce the association between Org and that logo is worth it.
> Having it regularly appear should help it stick.
>
>> - I believe there are too many pages: I'd love the website to be just
>>   one HTML page.  Rich contents should go to Worg and yes, we need to
>>   upgrade Worg's design too. Let's try moving such contents to Worg as
>>   soon as we can -- but this is not a blocker for the switch.
>

It seems a good idea more simple is better. There are many bootstrap
free web designs, it's a good idea for responsive, I'm using this idea
for damegender.net, damewebutils.davidam.com and
damelibraries.davidam.com. My website (davidam.com) is not using
bootstrap and I'm happy with mobiles, too.


> I think a single page might be a bit further than ideal, as I see it a
> 'core' of static pages
> for orgmode.org would be
>  - index/homepage
>  - features
>  - quickstart
>  - install
>

Yes, it sounds a good idea. I would add documentation (manuals, worg)
and community (irc, mailing lists, emacswiki, https://emacs.stackexchange.com/,
telegram, meetups, ...)

> How does that sound to you? Of course, all of this migration to Worg
> can happen after an iniIal switch.
>
>> - For the manual, I'd prefer to use the same design that the one used
>>   on the gnu.org website:
>
> This is quite easy (and not actually part of this branch), I think we
> just need to pass
> --css-ref "https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual.css"
> to the makeinfo/texi2any/texi2html command in
> https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/src/master/doc/Makefile
>
> All the best,
>
> Timothy.
>
>

-- 
https://damegender.net


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-23 16:00   ` Timothy E Chapman
  2020-09-24  9:52     ` David Arroyo Menendez
@ 2020-09-24  9:55     ` David Arroyo Menendez
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: David Arroyo Menendez @ 2020-09-24  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy E Chapman; +Cc: bzg, emacs-orgmode


Another important thing, I will happy if we can add some link to the
spanish version of org guide. You can find the sources in
https://savannah.nongnu.org/git/?group=orgguide-es

Thanks in advance!

-- 
https://damegender.net


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-22 16:40   ` Devin Prater
  2020-09-23  7:02     ` Bastien
@ 2020-09-24 11:02     ` TEC
  2020-09-24 13:01       ` Devin Prater
  2020-09-24 16:34       ` Nick Dokos
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: TEC @ 2020-09-24 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Prater; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


Hi Devin, thanks for checking up on this!

Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater@gmail.com> writes:

> [no alt texts for images]

This should be fixed now! (https://github.com/tecosaur/orgwebsite/commit/545d0c7d28)

> Also, I cannot find the area to view the Org-mode source of a page.

Ah, yes. This was removed at the request of Bastien.


Thanks for your help, and please let me know if you notice anything
else!

Timothy.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-22 14:11 The Website Revamp: The final stretch TEC
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
  2020-09-23 14:29 ` Takaaki Ishikawa
@ 2020-09-24 11:25 ` Greg Newman
  2020-09-24 13:20 ` TEC
  8 siblings, 0 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: Greg Newman @ 2020-09-24 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: org-mode-email

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1225 bytes --]

This looks great. 2-1 is the one I prefer.

- Greg Newman



On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 10:56 AM TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
>
>
> I'm pleased to announce that after chatting with Bastien, my
>
> little
>
> revamp project seems to be nearing the point where it may replace
>
> the
>
> current site.
>
>
>
> Two things that would be good to get sorted:
>
>  1. Translation of the index page to French/Japanese ::
>
>     I'm english only, and Bastien is busy, so volunteers would be
>
>     much appreciated!
>
>  2. Picking the best 'Hero banner' on the home page ::
>
>     Concerns were raised over the lack of contrast between the
>
>     logo and
>
>     the current banner background. I've chatted to someone else
>
>     with
>
>     some ideas and we've produced a few concepts which we'd like
>
>     to get
>
>     your feedback on.
>
>     See the file attached, and if you could give say your top
>
>     three
>
>     picks (ordered), and any relevant
>
>     reasoning/considerations/comments
>
>     that would be great!
>
>
>
> All the best,
>
>
>
> Timothy.
>
>
>
> p.s. I haven't had much luck with attachments in the past, if this
>
> fails
>
> I'll reply with the attachment.
>
>
>
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1836 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-24 11:02     ` TEC
@ 2020-09-24 13:01       ` Devin Prater
  2020-09-24 16:34       ` Nick Dokos
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: Devin Prater @ 2020-09-24 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: emacs-org list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1098 bytes --]

Thank you very much for this. I wasn't sure if accessibility was something
you'd care about or not, but I figured I'd give it a shot, as any blind
user of Emacs, through Emacspeak or otherwise, who wanted to get into
Org-mode would appreciate it. One more small thing or two:

On the features page, the description:

Demonstration of planing with org, managing a scheduled todo list

should be:

Demonstration of planning with org, managing a scheduled todo list

After the "simple syntax" heading, the figure is empty. Is that supposed to
be the case?
Devin Prater
sent from Gmail.


On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 6:02 AM TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>
> Hi Devin, thanks for checking up on this!
>
> Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > [no alt texts for images]
>
> This should be fixed now! (
> https://github.com/tecosaur/orgwebsite/commit/545d0c7d28)
>
> > Also, I cannot find the area to view the Org-mode source of a page.
>
> Ah, yes. This was removed at the request of Bastien.
>
>
> Thanks for your help, and please let me know if you notice anything
> else!
>
> Timothy.
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1954 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-22 14:11 The Website Revamp: The final stretch TEC
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
  2020-09-24 11:25 ` Greg Newman
@ 2020-09-24 13:20 ` TEC
  2020-09-24 13:54   ` Palak Mathur
                     ` (3 more replies)
  8 siblings, 4 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: TEC @ 2020-09-24 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email


An update.

1. We have a volunteer for a Japanese translator (yay!),
   still looking for a french one
2. Following the community opinions and feedback on the designs
   presented, further iteration has occurred and 20 concepts have been
   reduced to the three most promising candidates.
   I now have a final 3 - the first two are the best ideas from the
   last selection, the third is a new idea.

You can find the final 3 concepts here: https://0x0.st/ilFH.pdf, once
again I'd like to encourage any feedback, and ranking of the options.

Unless anything else crops up, I don't anticipate any other major
changes being made.

All the best,

Timothy.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-24 13:20 ` TEC
@ 2020-09-24 13:54   ` Palak Mathur
  2020-09-24 16:39   ` Nick Dokos
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
  3 siblings, 0 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: Palak Mathur @ 2020-09-24 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: org-mode-email

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 934 bytes --]




> On Sep 24, 2020, at 8:20 AM, TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> 
> An update.
> 
> 2. Following the community opinions and feedback on the designs
>   presented, further iteration has occurred and 20 concepts have been
>   reduced to the three most promising candidates.
>   I now have a final 3 - the first two are the best ideas from the
>   last selection, the third is a new idea.
> 
> You can find the final 3 concepts here: https://0x0.st/ilFH.pdf, once
> again I'd like to encourage any feedback, and ranking of the options.
> 

Just keeping up with Parkinson’s Law of Triviality [1], as I don’t have any opinion on any other post but this, here it is:
I like both Variant A and B. C not so much. 

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_triviality



> Unless anything else crops up, I don't anticipate any other major
> changes being made.
> 
> All the best,
> 
> Timothy.
> 

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1702 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-24 11:02     ` TEC
  2020-09-24 13:01       ` Devin Prater
@ 2020-09-24 16:34       ` Nick Dokos
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: Nick Dokos @ 2020-09-24 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


"collapsable" should be "collapsible".

-- 
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-24 13:20 ` TEC
  2020-09-24 13:54   ` Palak Mathur
@ 2020-09-24 16:39   ` Nick Dokos
  2020-09-24 17:22     ` Carsten Dominik
  2020-09-24 16:47   ` Tom Gillespie
  2020-09-25  1:48   ` Ihor Radchenko
  3 siblings, 1 reply; 29+ messages in thread
From: Nick Dokos @ 2020-09-24 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nix on variant C from me.

Slight lean towards B, but I personally would be happy with either A or B.

Thanks!
-- 
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-24 13:20 ` TEC
  2020-09-24 13:54   ` Palak Mathur
  2020-09-24 16:39   ` Nick Dokos
@ 2020-09-24 16:47   ` Tom Gillespie
  2020-09-25  1:48   ` Ihor Radchenko
  3 siblings, 0 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: Tom Gillespie @ 2020-09-24 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: org-mode-email

A vote for A from me. I think that using the light background for the
section above the fold fits better with the color themes of the other
pages and will make the transition less jarring. Best!
Tom

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 9:20 AM TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> An update.
>
> 1. We have a volunteer for a Japanese translator (yay!),
>    still looking for a french one
> 2. Following the community opinions and feedback on the designs
>    presented, further iteration has occurred and 20 concepts have been
>    reduced to the three most promising candidates.
>    I now have a final 3 - the first two are the best ideas from the
>    last selection, the third is a new idea.
>
> You can find the final 3 concepts here: https://0x0.st/ilFH.pdf, once
> again I'd like to encourage any feedback, and ranking of the options.
>
> Unless anything else crops up, I don't anticipate any other major
> changes being made.
>
> All the best,
>
> Timothy.
>


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-24 16:39   ` Nick Dokos
@ 2020-09-24 17:22     ` Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2020-09-24 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: org-mode list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 643 bytes --]

Hi

A or B, no strong preference.

About the text, maybe we can change the "there are dozens of them", that
struck me as a bit odd.  Because what is a "feature".

Maybe
Features - which subset will you use?
Features - something for everyone
Features - start digging

I don't know...

Cheers

Carsten

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 6:42 PM Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nix on variant C from me.
>
> Slight lean towards B, but I personally would be happy with either A or B.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Nick
>
> "There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
> invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler
>
>
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1187 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-24 13:20 ` TEC
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
  2020-09-24 16:47   ` Tom Gillespie
@ 2020-09-25  1:48   ` Ihor Radchenko
  2020-09-25  2:06     ` Samuel Wales
  3 siblings, 1 reply; 29+ messages in thread
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-09-25  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC, org-mode-email

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 347 bytes --]

> You can find the final 3 concepts here: https://0x0.st/ilFH.pdf, once
> again I'd like to encourage any feedback, and ranking of the options.

I like A and B with slight preference towards B.

Also, the website renders strangely in qutebrowser (see the attached
screenshot). Firefox renders everything just fine on the same system.

Best,
Ihor


[-- Attachment #2: org-website-qutebrowser.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 95621 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: Type: text/plain, Size: 723 bytes --]



TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> An update.
>
> 1. We have a volunteer for a Japanese translator (yay!),
>    still looking for a french one
> 2. Following the community opinions and feedback on the designs
>    presented, further iteration has occurred and 20 concepts have been
>    reduced to the three most promising candidates.
>    I now have a final 3 - the first two are the best ideas from the
>    last selection, the third is a new idea.
>
> You can find the final 3 concepts here: https://0x0.st/ilFH.pdf, once
> again I'd like to encourage any feedback, and ranking of the options.
>
> Unless anything else crops up, I don't anticipate any other major
> changes being made.
>
> All the best,
>
> Timothy.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-25  1:48   ` Ihor Radchenko
@ 2020-09-25  2:06     ` Samuel Wales
  2020-09-28 21:54       ` Leslie Watter
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 29+ messages in thread
From: Samuel Wales @ 2020-09-25  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: org-mode-email, TEC

i am lost about a and b and 1-2 and so on.

but  i went to a tecosaur site and noticed that the old unicorn
covering text when you use large fonts or have a low dpi monitor is no
longer a problem, whihc is good.  i'd suggest high contrast, light on
dark, preferably with no glaring whites anywhere.

i probably didn't address any of hte questions though.  :)


On 9/24/20, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You can find the final 3 concepts here: https://0x0.st/ilFH.pdf, once
>> again I'd like to encourage any feedback, and ranking of the options.
>
> I like A and B with slight preference towards B.
>
> Also, the website renders strangely in qutebrowser (see the attached
> screenshot). Firefox renders everything just fine on the same system.
>
> Best,
> Ihor
>
>


-- 
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

* Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
  2020-09-25  2:06     ` Samuel Wales
@ 2020-09-28 21:54       ` Leslie Watter
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 29+ messages in thread
From: Leslie Watter @ 2020-09-28 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: org-mode-email, Ihor Radchenko, TEC

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1188 bytes --]

A vote for A from me.
I prefer light backgrounds when navigating except on image galleries.

Cheers,

Leslie


On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 11:07 PM Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:

> i am lost about a and b and 1-2 and so on.
>
> but  i went to a tecosaur site and noticed that the old unicorn
> covering text when you use large fonts or have a low dpi monitor is no
> longer a problem, whihc is good.  i'd suggest high contrast, light on
> dark, preferably with no glaring whites anywhere.
>
> i probably didn't address any of hte questions though.  :)
>
>
> On 9/24/20, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> You can find the final 3 concepts here: https://0x0.st/ilFH.pdf, once
> >> again I'd like to encourage any feedback, and ranking of the options.
> >
> > I like A and B with slight preference towards B.
> >
> > Also, the website renders strangely in qutebrowser (see the attached
> > screenshot). Firefox renders everything just fine on the same system.
> >
> > Best,
> > Ihor
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> The Kafka Pandemic
>
> Please learn what misopathy is.
>
> https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html
>
>

-- 
Leslie H. Watter

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 2037 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 29+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-09-28 21:55 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 29+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-09-22 14:11 The Website Revamp: The final stretch TEC
2020-09-22 14:58 ` Palak Mathur
2020-09-22 15:10   ` TEC
2020-09-23 12:14     ` Eric S Fraga
2020-09-22 15:17 ` Stefan Nobis
2020-09-22 16:40   ` Devin Prater
2020-09-23  7:02     ` Bastien
2020-09-24 11:02     ` TEC
2020-09-24 13:01       ` Devin Prater
2020-09-24 16:34       ` Nick Dokos
2020-09-22 16:03 ` Nicolas Goaziou
2020-09-22 16:10   ` TEC
2020-09-22 20:38     ` Nicolas Goaziou
2020-09-22 17:22 ` Dominik Schrempf
2020-09-23  7:01 ` Bastien
2020-09-23 16:00   ` Timothy E Chapman
2020-09-24  9:52     ` David Arroyo Menendez
2020-09-24  9:55     ` David Arroyo Menendez
2020-09-23  7:08 ` Lars Chr. Duus Hausmann
2020-09-23 14:29 ` Takaaki Ishikawa
2020-09-24 11:25 ` Greg Newman
2020-09-24 13:20 ` TEC
2020-09-24 13:54   ` Palak Mathur
2020-09-24 16:39   ` Nick Dokos
2020-09-24 17:22     ` Carsten Dominik
2020-09-24 16:47   ` Tom Gillespie
2020-09-25  1:48   ` Ihor Radchenko
2020-09-25  2:06     ` Samuel Wales
2020-09-28 21:54       ` Leslie Watter

Org-mode mailing list

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://orgmode.org/list/0 list/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 list list/ https://orgmode.org/list \
		emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
	public-inbox-index list

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.yhetil.org/yhetil.emacs.orgmode
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.emacs.orgmode


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git