* can you require a certain template with lognotedone?
@ 2010-07-13  1:05 Michael Gilbert
From: Michael Gilbert @ 2010-07-13  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi —

I asked Darlan this off-list and then I realized that it might be of broader interest.

I require a note when certain TODOs are changed to DONE. These are almost always some sort of structured logging. Is there a way to call org-capture and/or require a certain template for that note? That would be a very powerful workflow for me.

TIA

— Michael

* Re: can you require a certain template with lognotedone?
@ 2010-07-13  4:17 ` Juan
From: Juan @ 2010-07-13  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael,

Have a look at org-log-note-headings customization variable,
together with org-log-done and friends.

All these are quite static text you can configure, so probably then
do not accomplish what you ask for.

Maybe a good-enough solution is to store your template as a register
and then insert it in the note-taking buffer.

Throw something like this in your .emacs:

(set-register ?n "This is\nmy template\n")

so that C-x r i n   will insert that text.

///----------------------------------------///
If you're feeling strange and are willing to change the code here:

in file org.el, line ~10880 (current git pull):

  ;; It is now done, and it was not done before
        (org-add-planning-info 'closed (org-current-time))
              (if (and (not dolog) (eq 'note org-log-done))
                    (org-add-log-setup 'done state this
                    'findpos 'note)))

after the 'note, add your template as a string (or a lisp function
that provides a string (template) depending on the context/setup):

... 'findpos 'note "this is\\nmy template")))

The string is an optional parameter for org-add-log-setup which will
be copied into the Org-Note buffer.

Good luck!
.j.

@ 2010-07-13 12:18 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-07-13 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Michael,

Michael Gilbert <mcg@gilbert.org> writes:

> I require a note when certain TODOs are changed to DONE. These are
> almost always some sort of structured logging. Is there a way to call
> org-capture and/or require a certain template for that note? That
> would be a very powerful workflow for me.

You could use org-after-todo-state-change-hook to call a function that
invokes org-capture, using arbitrary tests to see if the current entry
has a particular property, etc.

Best,
Matt

* Re: can you require a certain template with lognotedone?
@ 2010-07-13 16:58   ` Michael Gilbert
From: Michael Gilbert @ 2010-07-13 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I require a note when certain TODOs are changed to DONE. These are
>> almost always some sort of structured logging. Is there a way to call
>> org-capture and/or require a certain template for that note? That
>> would be a very powerful workflow for me.
>
> You could use org-after-todo-state-change-hook to call a function that
> invokes org-capture, using arbitrary tests to see if the current entry
> has a particular property, etc.

Thank you. This may be beyond my skill right now. And as Darlan pointed out to me offlist, this might be something that should be framed more generically. I do need to start learning about hooks though.

— Michael