* latex export creates "auto" directory
@ 2017-03-03 15:55 Takeshi Teshima
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Takeshi Teshima @ 2017-03-03 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a question regarding latex export.

When I export an org-mode to a latex file, a directory named "auto" is
created in the same folder as the tex file.

However, I couldn't find what line in the source code of org-mode
creates this directory.

Does anyone know what causes this, or what variables can be used to
control where the directory is created?

* Re: latex export creates "auto" directory
@ 2017-03-03 16:06 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2017-03-03 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takeshi Teshima; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Takeshi Teshima,

Takeshi Teshima writes:

> I have a question regarding latex export.
>
> When I export an org-mode to a latex file, a directory named "auto" is
> created in the same folder as the tex file.
>
> However, I couldn't find what line in the source code of org-mode
> creates this directory.
>
> Does anyone know what causes this, or what variables can be used to
> control where the directory is created?

The "auto" directory contains files used by AucTeX, independently of Org
mode.  I don't know how to tell AucTeX where to put the directory.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: latex export creates "auto" directory
@ 2017-03-03 16:08 ` George Kettleborough (EI)
From: George Kettleborough (EI) @ 2017-03-03 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 03/03/17 15:55, Takeshi Teshima wrote:
> I have a question regarding latex export.
>
> When I export an org-mode to a latex file, a directory named "auto" is
> created in the same folder as the tex file.
>
> However, I couldn't find what line in the source code of org-mode
> creates this directory.
>
> Does anyone know what causes this, or what variables can be used to
> control where the directory is created?

This is actually created by AucTeX. I guess if you open the latex source
file in emacs then it gets created automatically if you have AucTeX
installed.

It is documented here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex/Parsing-Files.html

* Re: latex export creates "auto" directory
@ 2017-03-03 16:16   ` Takeshi Teshima
From: Takeshi Teshima @ 2017-03-03 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tom,
Thank you for the immediate and useful answer!
You've saved me a lot of time. Thank you!
Best regards,
Takeshi

@ 2017-03-03 16:37 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2017-03-03 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takeshi Teshima; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Takeshi,

On Sat, Mar 04 2017, Takeshi Teshima wrote:

> I have a question regarding latex export.
>
> When I export an org-mode to a latex file, a directory named "auto" is
> created in the same folder as the tex file.
>
> However, I couldn't find what line in the source code of org-mode
> creates this directory.
>
> Does anyone know what causes this, or what variables can be used to
> control where the directory is created?

It allows AUCTeX to be aware of style files and multi-files. The default
is "auto/" in the working directory. However you set the directory
yourself. I have the settings:

(setq TeX-auto-local "/path/to/auto/dir") ;; Sets /auto/ directory.
(setq TeX-auto-save t) ;; Also sets lisp files to save in /auto/.

If you want to switch it off then try (setq TeX-auto-save nil). I have
never used that myself, so I don't know how successful it might be.

Best wishes

Colin.

* Re: latex export creates "auto" directory
@ 2017-03-03 16:41   ` Takeshi Teshima
From: Takeshi Teshima @ 2017-03-03 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Colin,

Thank you for that detailed information!

I'll try them.

Best regards,

Takeshi