* Bug: switch state of invisible todo item
@ 2008-06-04 13:01 Reimar Finken
From: Reimar Finken @ 2008-06-04 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Carsten and all the other developers,

Let me first thank you for this wonderful package. However, I
have found a small but irritating bug when using
`org-clock-in-switch-to-state'. Nothing terribly important if you
have other priorities, but it still gets me every so often.

Thanks very much for your help in advance,

Reimar

todo item to be clocked in is invisible in the org buffer,
`org-agenda-clock-in' switches the todo state of the wrong
headline. Instead of the actual item, the state of its visible
parent is changed.

* To reproduce this bug:

1) Starting with a clean emacs with only org-mode loaded,
   evaluate:
   (setq org-clock-in-switch-to-state "STARTED")

2) Then open the file testtasks.org, which reads (the 2nd level
   heading will be folded by default):
,----[ testtasks.org ]
| -*- mode: org; -*-
| #+SEQ_TODO: TODO STARTED | DONE
| * Tasks:
| ** TODO Task1

`----

3) Add this file to the agenda list with C-c [ and call the todo
   agenda with `M-x org-agenda' `t'. Then, press `I'
   (org-agenda-clock-in) on the line " testtasks: TODO Task1".

4) Now `testtasks.org' looks like this (of course, the Task1 line
   is still folded, but not the clock line):
,----[ testtasks.org ]
| -*- mode: org; -*-
| #+SEQ_TODO: TODO STARTED | DONE
| * STARTED Tasks:
| ** TODO Task1
|    CLOCK: [2008-06-04 Wed 14:00]

`----

Note that the parent headline `Tasks' had the todo keyword
changed, not the `Task1' headline. When the `Task1' headline is
visible, its todo state gets changed correctly.

* Related obervation:
After reverting the todo state back to `TODO' and folding it, the
same bug occurs when one clocks into Task1 via
`C-u M-x org-clock-in'. The bug must therefore be in
`org-clock-in', where something like a `show-all' is missing in
the (save-excursion (save-restriction ...)) part (target-pos is
set to the correct value 61). But since I don't know org-mode
well enough, I will leave that to the experts.

* Configuration:
org-version: "6.04c" (latest git version), but also occuring in
             earlier versions
emacs-version: "22.1.1"

--
Dr. Reimar Finken    (finken@theo2.physik.uni-stuttgart.de)
II. Institut für Theoretische Physik, Universität Stuttgart

* Re: Bug: switch state of invisible todo item
@ 2008-06-12 12:00 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-06-12 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reimar Finken; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 4, 2008, at 3:01 PM, Reimar Finken wrote:

> Dear Carsten and all the other developers,
>
> Let me first thank you for this wonderful package. However, I
> have found a small but irritating bug when using
> `org-clock-in-switch-to-state'. Nothing terribly important if you
> have other priorities, but it still gets me every so often.
>
> Thanks very much for your help in advance,
>
> Reimar

Hi Raimar, this bug is now fixed, thank you for your detailed and very
clear report.

- Carsten

@ 2008-06-12 12:18   ` Reimar Finken
From: Reimar Finken @ 2008-06-12 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

> Hi Raimar, this bug is now fixed, thank you for your detailed
> and very clear report.
>
> - Carsten

Thank you very much. Clocking in works like a charm now.

Reimar