From: Julius Dittmar <Julius.Dittmar@gmx.de>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [bug] Export to latex truncates long subsections (WE attached)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 09:42:25 +0200

Hi folks,

Am 27.08.19 um 08:57 schrieb Vladimir Nikishkin:
> I have indeed investigated the issue, and this is the link:
> https://latex.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=32788
>
> To make the long story short, the folowing trick is needed to allow
> page breaks after headings (which is a completely standard case in
> -org).
>
> #+begin_src latex
> \usepackage{xpatch}
> \makeatletter
> % This is not recommended, because it can break several things
> \xpatchcmd{\@afterheading}{\@nobreaktrue}{\@nobreakfalse}{%
> \typeout{WARNING: \string\@afterheading\space broken}%
> }{%
> \@latexerr{ERROR: Cannot patch \string\@afterheading}\@ehd%
> }
> \makeatother
> #+end_src
>
> Shall this trick be considered for inclusion in 'org' officially?
> I mean, having lists of empty headings is a perfectly standard use case for org.

I would not want that as the default. Yes, it is one standard use case.
It would break other standard use cases, like creating ordinary
documents, though.

Perhaps variant adding such a patch could be added to org-latex-classes,
or at least mentioned in the docs to org-latex-classes? That way you can
use this "class" version for such cases without adding unnecessary
uglyness to other org-created documents.

Another possible approach would be a change in the export functions.
What really is needed here, from my point of view, is that the export
adds a superficial paragraph to a heading in the case that there's no
content at all. Nothing should be added if the heading has sub-headings,
I count that as content. In case there is no content at all, then some
form of breakable vertical space should be added. I don't know enough
LaTeX to find the least intrusive way, though I'd try \vspace{0pt}.

I did never dig into the export functions, so I don't know how difficult
that would be.

Just my thoughts,
Julius Dittmar