From: Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: OT: Learning ELISP (was: Wish: switch active time-stamps to inactive when CANCELED)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 12:39:03 +0100

* Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Two days later, no reply so far. I'll give it a shot.
> Karl, if you are still fiddling to make it work, ignore this posting
> and keep trying. :)

Well, the hook in combination with the ARCHIVE tag did resolve my
current issue quite nicely. However, I follow ELISP lessons with
great pleasure independent of my current issues :-) But thanks to my
time budget, it's low priority for now. :-(

I did accomplish some advancement in the last weeks. I could fix
some if/when issues in my configuration and I do get the feeling
that meanwhile, I am able to judge the quality or the side-effects
of ELISP snippets I copy/copied from other people. Even this limited
knowledge gives me way more power over my Emacs than before.

The core of ELISP is not that huge at all. So far, I tend to think
that one key aspect of programming in ELISP is knowing, what
functions are out there, waiting to be used to accomplish a task.
And learning/finding all these handy functions is not trivial to me.
Especially in such a huge project like Org-mode.

Even more off-topic: I cleaned out some very old things and
summarized my Emacs config in (currently) two files.[1] And I am
thinking of moving it to Emacs initialization with babel[2] but so
far, I am not sure, if there are that many advantages over the
current situation.

  1. https://github.com/novoid/dot-emacs
  2. http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html#literate-programming
--