* [babel] key binding requests
@ 2010-07-10 14:22 Austin Frank
From: Austin Frank @ 2010-07-10 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello!

I'm loving the level of polish and sophistication that have been
achieved with org-babel.  My entire PhD thesis is currently written in
org and org-babel, and it's the best authoring system I've ever used.

That said, I have a couple of features that I regularly find myself
missing.  I wonder whether other folks might also find them useful.

First, in terms of navigation, I would love to have keybindings under
the C-c C-v prefix that would navigate to the next and previous babel
blocks.  org-babel-goto-named-source-block[fn:1] is great, but a) not all my
blocks are named, and b) I don't always remember the name of the block
I'm looking for.  On that note...

Currently, org-babel-goto-named-source-block doesn't currently offer any
completion facilities in my setup.  Is there a way to hook it into the
rest of org's completion mechanisms so that I can hit tab to complete
the names of my source blocks?

Finally, to go along with facilities to navigate from source block to
source block, I'd also make regular use of something like
org-execute-src-block-and-step, which would execute the current block
and then jump to the next (or previous) one.

Thanks again for these excellent tools,
/au

Footnotes:

[fn:1] This is the only function that uses "source" instead of "src" in
its name.  Should this be changed for consistency?

--
Austin Frank
http://aufrank.net

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: [babel] key binding requests
@ 2010-07-10 17:17 ` Jonathan Arkell
From: Jonathan Arkell @ 2010-07-10 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Frank; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> I'm loving the level of polish and sophistication that have been
> achieved with org-babel.  My entire PhD thesis is currently written in
> org and org-babel, and it's the best authoring system I've ever used.

Agreed!  Although I am coming from a completely different perspective (Developer using it for literate programming), org-babel is, in fact, as the kids say, the bomb.

> First, in terms of navigation, I would love to have keybindings under
> the C-c C-v prefix that would navigate to the next and previous babel
> blocks.  org-babel-goto-named-source-block[fn:1] is great, but a) not all my blocks are named, and b) I don't always remember the name of the block
> I'm looking for.

One of the things you could do here is to search forward or backward for #+BEGIN_SRC.  You could even record a macro to make it.  That would at least hold you over till it was developed.

I also agree about completion based on the name of the source block.  That would be very handy.  If I may be so bold as to piggyback on Austins feature request, if the gathering of the candidates happened in a separate function from the interactive function that does the completion, then it could be used by packages like auto-complete.

__________________________________

Jonathan Arkell
Tech Lead
Inspired By Drum & Bass, Scheme, Kawaii

p. 403.206.4377

402 -- 11th Ave SE
Calgary, AB, Canada T2G 0Y4

jonathana@criticalmass.com
criticalmass.com

On Jul 10, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Austin Frank wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm loving the level of polish and sophistication that have been
> achieved with org-babel.  My entire PhD thesis is currently written in
> org and org-babel, and it's the best authoring system I've ever used.
>
> That said, I have a couple of features that I regularly find myself
> missing.  I wonder whether other folks might also find them useful.
>
> First, in terms of navigation, I would love to have keybindings under
> the C-c C-v prefix that would navigate to the next and previous babel
> blocks.  org-babel-goto-named-source-block[fn:1] is great, but a) not all my
> blocks are named, and b) I don't always remember the name of the block
> I'm looking for.  On that note...
>
> Currently, org-babel-goto-named-source-block doesn't currently offer any
> completion facilities in my setup.  Is there a way to hook it into the
> rest of org's completion mechanisms so that I can hit tab to complete
> the names of my source blocks?
>
> Finally, to go along with facilities to navigate from source block to
> source block, I'd also make regular use of something like
> org-execute-src-block-and-step, which would execute the current block
> and then jump to the next (or previous) one.
>
> Thanks again for these excellent tools,
> /au
>
> Footnotes:
>
> [fn:1] This is the only function that uses "source" instead of "src" in
> its name.  Should this be changed for consistency?
>

> --
> Austin Frank
> http://aufrank.net
> GPG Public Key (D7398C2F): http://aufrank.net/personal.asc
> <ATT00001><ATT00002..txt>

The information contained in this message is confidential. It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity named above or their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message.

* Re: [babel] key binding requests
@ 2010-07-12  4:53   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-12  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Arkell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Arkell <jonathana@criticalmass.com> writes:

>> I'm loving the level of polish and sophistication that have been
>> achieved with org-babel.  My entire PhD thesis is currently written in
>> org and org-babel, and it's the best authoring system I've ever used.
>
> Agreed!  Although I am coming from a completely different perspective
> (Developer using it for literate programming), org-babel is, in fact,
> as the kids say, the bomb.

That's great to hear :)

>> First, in terms of navigation, I would love to have keybindings under
>> the C-c C-v prefix that would navigate to the next and previous babel
>> blocks.  org-babel-goto-named-source-block[fn:1] is great, but a) not
>> all my blocks are named, and b) I don't always remember the name of
>> the block I'm looking for.
>
> One of the things you could do here is to search forward or backward
> for #+BEGIN_SRC.  You could even record a macro to make it.  That
> would at least hold you over till it was developed.
>
> I also agree about completion based on the name of the source block.
> That would be very handy.  If I may be so bold as to piggyback on
> Austins feature request, if the gathering of the candidates happened
> in a separate function from the interactive function that does the
> completion, then it could be used by packages like auto-complete.

Thanks for this suggestion, I followed it and my the names for
completion are returned by the functions `org-babel-src-block-names' and
`org-babel-result-names' for code blocks and results respectively.

Cheers -- Eric

@ 2010-07-12  4:53 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-12  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Frank; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Austin,

Austin Frank <austin.frank@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I'm loving the level of polish and sophistication that have been
> achieved with org-babel.  My entire PhD thesis is currently written in
> org and org-babel, and it's the best authoring system I've ever used.

Fantastic! happy to hear your finding it useful

> That said, I have a couple of features that I regularly find myself
> missing.  I wonder whether other folks might also find them useful.
>
> First, in terms of navigation, I would love to have keybindings under
> the C-c C-v prefix that would navigate to the next and previous babel
> blocks.  org-babel-goto-named-source-block[fn:1] is great, but a) not all my
> blocks are named, and b) I don't always remember the name of the block
> I'm looking for.  On that note...

Done, C-c C-v n and C-c C-v p now navigate to the next and previous code
blocks respectively.  C-c C-v p used to be used for viewing the expanded
body of a code block, this functionality is now behind C-c C-v v for
"view"

> Currently, org-babel-goto-named-source-block doesn't currently offer
> any completion facilities in my setup.  Is there a way to hook it into
> the rest of org's completion mechanisms so that I can hit tab to
> complete the names of my source blocks?

Done, C-c C-v g for "goto code block" now has completing read.  There is
also now C-c C-v r for "goto result" which also has completing reads

> Finally, to go along with facilities to navigate from source block to
> source block, I'd also make regular use of something like
> org-execute-src-block-and-step, which would execute the current block
> and then jump to the next (or previous) one.

There are already C-c C-v b and C-c C-v s for evaluating the current
buffer, or the current subtree respectively.  Also, with the new "goto
next code block" functionality it should be easy to implement the
behavior you describe in a short macro.

> Thanks again for these excellent tools,
> /au
>
> Footnotes:
>
> [fn:1] This is the only function that uses "source" instead of "src" in
> its name.  Should this be changed for consistency?

Thanks for pointing this out, I've made this change as well.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! -- Eric